• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Liberal SJs

sassafrassquatch

The type descriptions portray SJs as conservative, traditional and from a USian perspective very Republican. When I was a Christian I held the usual fundy conservative positions. After deconverting I reevaluated everything and now on a one dimensional US political spectrum I'm mostly a lefty.

I’m curious about how SJs go about holding liberal ideals and such.

*shakes tiny fist of rage at vbulletin*

Last edited:

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
My ISFJ boyfriend could give a good crap about politics, but he's certainly not conservative.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
The type descriptions portray SJs as conservative, traditional and from a USian perspective very Republican. When I was a Christian I held the usual fundy conservative positions. After deconverting I reevaluated everything and now on a one dimensional US political spectrum I

when SJ's are described as "conservative" it is usually more in the lifestyle sense (Likes to keep things the same, takes fewer chances, etc.) rather than politically conservative. i would expect SJ's to be more likely to go along with an extablished political view, though so many people do so already that it is very hard to tell if that actually works in any amount.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
when SJ's are described as "conservative" it is usually more in the lifestyle sense (Likes to keep things the same, takes fewer chances, etc.) rather than politically conservative. i would expect SJ's to be more likely to go along with an extablished political view, though so many people do so already that it is very hard to tell if that actually works in any amount.

Yes, SJ upholds the status quo -- ESxJ enforces the current climate but adjusts to it as it naturally evolves (they are progressive that way), while ISxJ tends to create an inner map earlier in life and clings to it for security.

We just happen to equate SJs to political conservatism and certain religious faiths and other trappings of the 20th century because that was what the establishment was at the time... but if the establishment would be something else, they would be reflecting that establishment. It is more the attitude of "prevailing norm" that carries through.

I think that SJs also come in another basic flavor, which is reactionary to the established norms... Because SJs focus on the prevailing norm, how they express is usually is to enforce it or purposefully rebel against it. Some other types do look like they rebel, but it's less about rebellion because they're simply following their own path; SJs do have a streak where they just rebel in order to fight the expectations they are feeling hanging over them, SPs and others just tend to ignore the rules as a matter of course.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
SJs without more than a passing interest in politics, I've found, are affected by prevailing, media-driven culture. Every single one that I know accepts center-left positions with a resigned shrug -- because, you know, it was on the news.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my ISFJ mother just accepted whatever her father told her to think about politics before she married my father. However, she and my father made a deal when they got married- he would have to go to church with her every sunday and she would have to read about politics and find out what she really thought all on her own, no help from anyone else. She spent a good many years confused until she started to develop a strong interest in the politics of education and healtcare (she's an elementary school teacher) and started to develop actual political stances.

My mother now has her own political ideas (thanks to my INTP dad finding this to be a necessity! :laugh:) and yes, she is politically liberal- not an extremist, but still a definite leftist! :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My girls Gypsy (ISTJ) and Miss (ISFJ) are both VERY liberal.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My friend Dave the ISTJ is liberal... but it's deceptive. As a student in the 70's, he took on the liberal thing (it was 'deviant' by general terms back then, but actually de rigeur for students, so he was conforming to his immediate environment despite believing himself to be rebelling) and voted Labour (the left wing party at the time in the UK). But as he's grown older, he's continued to vote Labour even though their policies and stances no longer even slightly resemble what they did in the 70's and countless studies have placed them firmly in the right wing. We've discussed this, and even though he intellectually seems to accept that they're no longer the party that represents his views, he still continues to vote for them. In his words "It's just hard to bring myself to change my vote after so many years." Incomprehensible attitude, from my POV.

Also, although he took on the liberal hippie thing in the 70's, it seems to have been largely a surface thing... and he's very unliberal in his attitude towards people with different views to himself. IOW, he sorta doesn't get the real point of liberalism... he's pretty inflexible in categorizing people as either people he respects or people he doesn't, and he's quite open about the fact that he doesn't see the people he puts in the latter group as worthy or deserving of being treated with consideration or kindness. People in that category for him include anyone who is, or appears to be (IHO) a "sell-out". That is, anyone who wears a suit or a tie - even for a wedding!!! Anyone who buys their own property, or people who listen to music he doesn't like.

His "liberalism" seems very immature to me and stuck in a sorta teenage version of things. Very rigid and black and white, and quite naive.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

I totally agree with this.

I think people's politics are influenced in large part by their temperaments and their life experiences.

All things being equal an SJ is more likely to have conservative political or religious views, and moreover, strong such views for some of the temperament reasons Zergling describes.

However, and this is my soap box moment, there is no "all things being equal" when it comes to people's lifes -- we're not talking about an equal playing field or generic upbringings. Political and religious views are determined by temperament and lived experience.

From my personal view, usually people espouse very traditional values and political or religious leanings because they were instilled with it growing up, OR ran towards it and embraced it later in life for salvation or stability or [fill in the blank].

My ISTJ friend, yes, that's ISTJ, the 'trustee' of the MBTI does not have conservative political views. They would be considered very liberal and she received an award from her hometown for her GLBT (gay lesbian bisexual transgender) organizing work. During her acceptance speech she spoke about class issues and how it's difficult for many people to even afford the price of a ticket to that very awards dinner.

It would be unusual with her life circumstances and experiences to embrace a conservative or Republican outlook on life (though of course there are others with similar experiences who are Republican).

But she does have old-fashioned values when it comes to dating and 'social convention' and wrong and right. In that way I do see the structured/conservative part of her nature come through. She's also "conservative" with her money, meaning very thrifty and can stick to a budget.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah I also agree with what Zergling said.

Actually I believe one of my biggest inspirations and heroes, William the Conqueror, was ESTJ. He's marked by historians as being a conservative character, and he was indeed much of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But he could also be quite a maverick with his battle tactics and training methods. And also in his very ambitions - someone of his origins wouldn't ordinarily have dared to dream, let alone achieve, what he did.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
when SJ's are described as "conservative" it is usually more in the lifestyle sense (Likes to keep things the same, takes fewer chances, etc.) rather than politically conservative.

I think that SJs also come in another basic flavor, which is reactionary to the established norms... Because SJs focus on the prevailing norm, how they express is usually is to enforce it or purposefully rebel against it. Some other types do look like they rebel, but it's less about rebellion because they're simply following their own path; SJs do have a streak where they just rebel in order to fight the expectations they are feeling hanging over them

These both spoke to me.

I'm definitely liberal (yet another way I don't fit my type?) and I'm all about defying expectations. My ESTJ "conservatism" definitely expresses itself in a lack of interest in risk-taking, NOT in an interest in upholding the status-quo.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
My friend Dave the ISTJ is liberal... but it's deceptive. As a student in the 70's, he took on the liberal thing (it was 'deviant' by general terms back then, but actually de rigeur for students, so he was conforming to his immediate environment despite believing himself to be rebelling) and voted Labour (the left wing party at the time in the UK). But as he's grown older, he's continued to vote Labour even though their policies and stances no longer even slightly resemble what they did in the 70's and countless studies have placed them firmly in the right wing. We've discussed this, and even though he intellectually seems to accept that they're no longer the party that represents his views, he still continues to vote for them. In his words "It's just hard to bring myself to change my vote after so many years." Incomprehensible attitude, from my POV.

Also, although he took on the liberal hippie thing in the 70's, it seems to have been largely a surface thing... and he's very unliberal in his attitude towards people with different views to himself. IOW, he sorta doesn't get the real point of liberalism... he's pretty inflexible in categorizing people as either people he respects or people he doesn't, and he's quite open about the fact that he doesn't see the people he puts in the latter group as worthy or deserving of being treated with consideration or kindness. People in that category for him include anyone who is, or appears to be (IHO) a "sell-out". That is, anyone who wears a suit or a tie - even for a wedding!!! Anyone who buys their own property, or people who listen to music he doesn't like.

His "liberalism" seems very immature to me and stuck in a sorta teenage version of things. Very rigid and black and white, and quite naive.

This is similiar to my ISTJ father. My mother tells me that back when he was younger, he was your classic 70's hippy. However, so were the people at his college and all of his close friends. Now he lives in a really conservative town and has more conservative friends. Needless to say, he is now the furthest thing from liberal. My mother also described his liberalism as rather immature and says that underneath it all, he's always been more rigid in his views.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Agreed with what Zergling said. I am rather conservative in my daily life, dating, money spending, etc., but politically I am conservative on some issues and liberal on others...like CzeCze said, it really depends on my personal life experiences.

Since I am in education, I am liberal when it comes those issues (and most other social issues), but more fiscally conservative and I am conservative when it comes to abortion and some other issues.

It's really just a mix.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Well your nut sack is pretty even. :p

Maybe you've changed? I believe that your surroundings can change your type. I mean to go from a conservative Christian to a lefty is quite big change wouldn't you say?

All the SJ's I know are pretty much the same with the exception of Ivy who may not really be an SJ.

Now don't go changing that avatar or people will think I'm pervy!

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm, briefly reminds me of my friend's ESFJ mom who is very opinionated about political matters, and is certainly liberal in ideals. But she strongly maintains and advocates the image of a "typical family home experience"--her main project 8 years ago was to purchase an old house in the Appalachians and they all moved over there, then she re-made the house virtually from scratch and it looks dazzling... high quality materials everywhere, and absolutely astonishing attention to detail. Her passion for politics is somewhat of a throwback from the years she grew up, the 60's and 70's where she said everyone had an opinion back then (this was a conversation we had the last time I drove out there for my friend's bday). I'm sure her past profession as a schoolteacher (from which she retired) had some to do with her liberal stance.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Pretty much every die-hard single-party voting member of both the DFL and GOP is an SJ. If you disagree, you're hopelessly naive.

Anyway, that amounts to a lot of liberal SJs.

crandolph

MBTI Type
INFJ
My ISFJ husband is liberal. The SJ comes out in his tendency to adhere to what's practical ("let's nominate someone electable" vs my own INFJ "let's nominate someone who's principles are X,Y,Z").