User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: mmorpgs

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I haven't played any in almost a year now. I started out with DAoC after watching a boyfriend play...Thought it looked fun, wanted to give it a try, took over his best friends account and fell in love... Several of us from my guild in DAoC gave WoW a try, thought it was too easy and went back to DAoC. A few of my friends and I toyed around with City of Heroes, SWG, and WAR...

I haven't had as much fun in any MMO as I did with DAoC so I gave them up.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have done my tours in some major MMOs (WoW, EQ2, CoH/CoV, Lineage, Matrix, etc.) but eventually got bored and hadn't played an MMO for at least a year or two. I finally went back into CoH last month for a few weeks, just to examine it again (I think I left around Release 9 and now they are up to release 18)... but it just expired and I might or might not renew.

My issue is typically this: I like the freedom of playing solo but I get bored playing solo; meanwhile, I like hanging out with people I know and doing things with them, but typically we're scattered all over the country and can't coordinate times, and I waste a lot of time doing nothing while waiting for people to show up.

PUGs were about the best median I could come up with, but those become a grind and I don't know the people I'm with, but I like knowing the people I'm with.

I'm sort of back into just solo PC games, if I'm going to invest time in something. I dunno. Maybe if I was like some of my other friends and had an actual local group of friends who played at certain scheduled times that I could handle, then that would work for me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    LoLz

The NT is trespassing.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I've been playing WoW since release, and in the original WoW I was in a Top 10 US guild for 8 months. I tried quitting and sold my account for 1200$. When Burning Crusade dropped a month later, I re-levelled. Luckily I've been a much more casual player since then and stopped being such a serious/elitist raider. Currently I have 6 level 80's.

Yeaaaah..... I need to start staying away from MMOs...
    I used to lead a notable role-playing guild back in the days too, quit playing just before Burning Crusade was released.

Made some acquitances, had great fun, felt a lot of stress and wasted countless hours (well, actually I kept counting them, but anyways... ).

It was actually a nice experience learning how to lead a group of people with few common interests. Learning how to motivate people you have no control over...
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    The NT is trespassing.
    In the Guardhouse?

This isn't your private forum. Take it to Private Forum if you want me out.
    (Or I'll whack you with my Blade of Dissection.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I've been playing MMOs for about 11 years now (started with EQ1 back in 1999) but haven't played much in the past couple of years. Too much going on in my life to really want to commit to one.

Currently playing EQ2X and liking the no-subscription model. Doesn't make me feel like I'm bound or anything.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Currently playing EQ2X and liking the no-subscription model. Doesn't make me feel like I'm bound or anything.
    How does that work? I am used to the month-by-month manual model (or recurring subscription model).

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How does that work? I am used to the month-by-month manual model (or recurring subscription model).
    Basically, you download the game and can use either an existing account or a new one but you can get right into the game. The catch is that they have different "tiers" of subscription levels and the lower levels have a lot of restrictions, starting at Bronze and moving up to Platinum. Bronze is free, Silver has a one time payment, and Gold & Platinum are subscription based.

Some examples of the restrictions are the amount of bagging slots you have, race & class selection, what kind of items you can use, and whether or not you can use the broker or not.

I'm a Silver level right now and am content to stay there. I may subscribe if it comes down to it, but right now I'm cool.

For more information: http://everquest2.com/_themes/defaul...shipMatrix.jpg
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ah, got it. Reminds me of the AD&D model, for example. But basically you get bare-bones for free and pay for anything extra.

Which isn't a bad deal as long as you are not competing with differently tiered players.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I hope you don't consider this an NT takeover, but I would like to join in the discussion.

This is because I hate MMORPG's. I think its mainly because I can't play them very well, but also because there is no decent achievement, its very difficult to feel like you're ''winning'' (although anyone playing is most certainly losing). The greatest achievement is going up another level for killing a few things, which must get a bit repetitive after a while. MMORPG's seem to me for obsessive personalities that don't have any real goals (not gearing their obsession towards anything productive).

A good military strategy game is a lot more fun in my opinion, you get to replay historical scenarios and you actually learn something in the process. Taking over the world is always fun. I can also readily dip in and out, depending on whether there is anything worthwhile to do.