User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Could the ISTJ be considered a Rational personality?

I understand that ISTJ's value typical customs and traditions like most guardians. But despite this, they still seem like a highly rational personality to me.

Or is this not true? Do ISTJs place guardian values above rational thought patterns?

Banned

My brother is an ISTJ, he's not the most intelligent person I know but one of the most logical that's for sure.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Delta223 View Post
    I understand that ISTJ's value typical customs and traditions like most guardians. But despite this, they still seem like a highly rational personality to me.

Or is this not true? Do ISTJs place guardian values above rational thought patterns?
    Personally, I value rational thought above arbitrary customs and traditions that are more to do with the culture you happen to be born into. Much to the chagrin of my parents I broke away from their traditions after much thought about what I thought was the right way to live.

I often read that ISTJs value typical customs. I really don't know why this is supposed to be so, especially when ISTJs are supposed to value their independence and have very idiosyncratic inner worlds. In real life experience, I find that many different kinds of people are comfortable in their traditions and habits and are uncomfortable with questioning them. They might not even be aware how habitual their patterns are.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    ISTx

^+1

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

I always chalk up ISTJ right up there with INTJ as the most rational of all the types. I didn't you could meet one and not think they were logic-driven creatures lol
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I knew an ISTJ in high school and college...I'd say she was quite rational/logical. My mother... I'm not sure I'd describe her as such... but that's probably because I don't think she's super bright (well, in an intuitive, connect-the-dots sense) and so often doesn't make connections or act totally rationally.

I think the common denominator between both though is being very concrete and real-world - very much in the now, practical, and more concerned with everyday tasks and getting things done. Very present and wanting things to make sense and attuned to/prioritizing what's actually in front of them and applying themselves to accomplishing things that are going to make an impact in the world in front of them and making day to day life run as efficiently as possible.

So.. rather than being super custom-oriented as their main driver, I look at them as more being concrete-and-real-world-applications-oriented.

Incidentally, as a result of them being more concerned with dealing with the world in front of them *as it actually exists right now*, a byproduct of that IS or could be the maintaining of tradition/custom -- because they're working with what is there at the moment, the tangibles.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ

This is what I figured as well.

Would you guys go as far as to say that ISTJ's fit better under the Rationale archetype than Guardian? They certainly seem that way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    My brother is an ISTJ, he's not the most intelligent person I know but one of the most logical that's for sure.
    I was going to suggest that S rather than N could mean someone was more empirical than logical, I could be wrong, its just given my understand of what each means at the moment I'm typing this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I was going to suggest that S rather than N could mean someone was more empirical than logical
    That sound about right, maby I should refrase that sentence.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Delta223 View Post
    This is what I figured as well.

Would you guys go as far as to say that ISTJ's fit better under the Rationale archetype than Guardian? They certainly seem that way to me.
    From my experience, the people who care more about customs are SFJs. Or, for that matter, xNFJs, or anyone with strong-ish Fe (b/c they're the ones hosting the events a lot of the time). I'd say that my NFJ friends care a lot more about tradition than any STJ I know of.

And it's interesting that you alternate using "Rational" as a title and as an adjective. Because, in terms of their title, I'd say yes, they do belong with the other SJs - but in terms of the adjective, yeah, they're rational. But so are ESTJs, and come to think of it, many F types are rational too! In short... It'd probably make more sense to think of those titles in a broader sense. That is, not thinking of one set of types as "the rational ones" or another as "the traditional ones", because that's never how it works. And come to think of it, since when are customs and rationality mutually exclusive?

/rambling
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!