User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: SJ Artists?

MBTI
    INTJ

I like to write, but it's something I have not done in a long time. I need some real inspiration if you know what I mean. I have done some poetry in the past.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Those drawings are great, Patches! Thanks for sharing.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't have proof of MBTI tests, but I suspect that a lot, if not the majority, of classical music instrumentalists are SJs. It's the field I work in and I see advantages in having Si for that particular skill set - for orchestral playing and soloist because you have to internalize the sensory details of a work to a significant degree and be able to recreate them. When that focused awareness of knowing when something perceived through the senses is right or not based on previous models is taken to an extreme level of detail, it is one of the bedrock skills required for classical music. I think that aspect is pure Si.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    I don't have proof of MBTI tests, but I suspect that a lot, if not the majority, of classical music instrumentalists are SJs. It's the field I work in and I see advantages in having Si for that particular skill set - for orchestral playing and soloist because you have to internalize the sensory details of a work to a significant degree and be able to recreate them. When that focused awareness of knowing when something perceived through the senses is right or not based on previous models is taken to an extreme level of detail, it is one of the bedrock skills required for classical music. I think that aspect is pure Si.
    My ISFJ girlfriend plays a viola in an orchestra as well as sings in a choir. She has also always wanted to be a singer in her own rock band (the next Hayley Williams. ). She's been taking piano lessons for years and is now studying music as her secondary subject at local university.

So what you say makes a lot of sense at least on my experience.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ESFJ

I played the violin in primary school and i now play the most awesome Guitar Hero .. Does that count??
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My parents made me play piano, violin, flute, clarinet and saxophone as early as 6 years of age. When I made it to highschool, my idea of rebellion was to get an electric guitar. I still play the guitar, piano, and violin.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default An SJ Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    I have a few questions for the SJ artists on the forum:

1). Where do you draw your inspiration from? Are there recurring themes in your artwork?
    2). Do you find it easy to complete a piece? Or do you have many 'unfinished projects' laying around?
    3). What are your views about posting/sharing your artwork online? Art thievery?
    4). What are your medium(s) of choice?

Art is one of my hobbies, so here are some answers to your questions.

1). I almost always draw horses. I don't often get an "inspiration" out of the blue--usually, I decide to draw. When I need to decide on what exactly to draw, I let my imagination run loose on the particular subject that I want to draw. With horses, I let them trot, prance, rear, gallop, and all those other things, in my head, until I find a pose that I like enough to draw. I rarely use photos, because to me, drawing from my imagination is more fun.

2). I generally finish each project that I start. Sometimes I take a break from drawing for a long while, but when I get back to it, I usually go back to the one I was working on earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    2) I have a hard time walking away from a piece until it is completed. I will obsess with it until it is completed.
    I identify with that exactly...

3). I just show my artwork to my family and sometimes my friends, so I can't tell you much about what I think about sharing artwork online.

4). Pencil is my favorite medium; color pencil is my second favorite. I prefer both because they are easy to use, and less messy. I actually like the effect of arcrylic paint best...but I've only started learning to use it, and it's much more tedious for me to use than pencils. I think another reason I like pencils and color pencils is because I've been using them since I can remember, so I'm very familiar with them. (That must be another SJ thing...)

I don't think art is a natural thing for me--I think I am actually more natural at crafts. But I did a lot of horse drawing when I was little, and people told me my drawings were good, and at some point I got really hooked on it. In any case, it's fun to be able to draw horses well enough that I'm pleased with my drawings. This year I got three first prizes for my horse artwork at the local fair--that was really exciting!
    Last edited by pastel~petals; 11-22-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: More info

Hey, Im new to this forum of isfj, mainly because i keep testing as infj but personally i feel more sensing than intuitive but whatevs, that sounded really wishy washy what ever: art:
    I paint alot...
    mediums are generally gouache and acrylic, sometimes pastels and painting with pastels( i have 3 of those) generally gouache and acrylic.
    I usually finish my projects generally in one go haha i need to space it out, its always an eight hour painting session haha.
    They are generally inspired by music im listening to like the same cd on replay for eight hours or sometimes one or a few songs on replay haha im ruin music.
    They are all abstract paintings on whatever i dont talk about to people, i keep alot in and painting is the only way it makes sense, colours
    the recent three alll have mysterious women shapes in them because i like the ladies and no one knows its my own miserable closeting expression haha yupp

on the topic of art thievery i hope not i just let my friends see them now and yeahh i hope not that would be awful.

but yeah thats generally what i do i just try to paint my feelings/ music into colours into some shape or something haha and keep everyone guessin..... they probably see it all whooo knows

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ISFp

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    I have a few questions for the SJ artists on the forum:

1). Where do you draw your inspiration from? Are there recurring themes in your artwork?
    2). Do you find it easy to complete a piece? Or do you have many 'unfinished projects' laying around?
    3). What are your views about posting/sharing your artwork online? Art thievery?
    4). What are your medium(s) of choice?
    As an actor I draw a lot of my inspiration from other actor's and acting mediums, such as theatre, film, and T.V. While I consistently act in all three mediums, I much prefer film and, because of that, tend to focus my inspiration and technique by studying film and mainly film actors. When it comes to completing pieces: no, I never leave any unfinished projects around. Of course, technically, when it comes to acting it's quite difficult to leave a piece unfinished without quitting entirely. Posting and sharing my artwork online? While I would love to I, sadly, cannot. I can't post the theatre, film, and T.V. that I act in and am currently acting in online because it's relatively impossible. And, as long as credit is given where credit is due, art thievery is completely fine with me. And, finally, as I stated earlier, while I consistently act in all three mediums: theatre, film, and T.V., I much prefer film. :-)
    -Zeth Gregg

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Poet here. I don't write much because I feel like I need to be inspired to write or else I am just going through the motions. The down side is the craving to buy every book on technique that I can find so that I can work on writing perfectly. I also taught myself music theory (basic), notation and then taught myself to play the mandolin. I eventually gave it up because I did not have time to practice.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni