• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] ESTJs- How do you do it?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I work with this guy who will blurt out wrong stuff without any kind of reasoning other than a little more than "it can't be or it has to be". I think it's TeSi?

How often do you blurt out without really digging first?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, it's bad when it's something negative or inaccurate, but it's good when it's something positive or accurate.

This obviously can be hit or miss for them.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I work with this guy who will blurt out wrong stuff without any kind of reasoning other than a little more than "it can't be or it has to be". I think it's TeSi?

How often do you blurt out without really digging first?
The number of times we blurt out without digging is equal to the number of times we are asked about something we don't know much about. It's because we always have to have an opinion on everything. Uncertainty is our worst enemy and we avoid it at all cost, and therefore we form all of our opinions based on the information we have at the present moment.

But on the bright side, we are actually really quick to change our minds. Our opinions are only valid until we find something that makes more sense, and when we find that, we switch the old one out almost instantly. I don't know about other ESTJs, but I have very few beliefs that I actually "hold dear", or care enough to hold on to instead of moving on to a more rational option (given the choice). We're really, really different from ISTJs in that regard (from my experience).

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
But on the bright side, we are actually really quick to change our minds. Our opinions are only valid until we find something that makes more sense, and when we find that, we switch the old one out almost instantly. I don't know about other ESTJs, but I have very few beliefs that I actually "hold dear", or care enough to hold on to instead of moving on to a more rational option (given the choice). We're really, really different from ISTJs in that regard (from my experience).

This is true. I have seen my mother (ESTJ) do this, even with things she had believed strongly, and even if she has to put herself to shame, she will accept the better statement.
Afterwards, she is so happy to share that she has found a better way. Do you know Joyce Meyer? Her sermons are all about that. I think she's ESTJ.

Will2911

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I have to have an opinion on literally everything. I can't help it. Even if I know absolutley nothing about the subject. I am constantly fighting battles because of it.

You're right in saying that when we find a better viewpoint than the one we took up, we do switch to the newer more rational position... Well some of the time, but usually I find it very hard to give up on something, I have this uncontrollable urge not to be wrong. I hate it, being wrong that is. I also can't admit I'm wrong, so often I find that I am defending the indefensible, much to other people's irritance.

However as has been mentioned, if you ask us a question, we will invariably answer regardless to if we know anything about the subject matter or not.

Last edited:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
The number of times we blurt out without digging is equal to the number of times we are asked about something we don't know much about. It's because we always have to have an opinion on everything. Uncertainty is our worst enemy and we avoid it at all cost, and therefore we form all of our opinions based on the information we have at the present moment.

I like your answer- thanks! I will say that the 2 ESTJs I work with will have something to say about everything- even if they are clearly wrong or uneducated about the situation- that's what I can't stand. That and they are so convinced that they are right- that there only response is 'it can't be'- because of their understanding!

I will say that both of them are quick to adopt the newer better way once they have been disproven. One even gets excited and he'll tell everyone about it. It's so funny.

EJCC- I assume when you say you are different than ISTJs, you are saying that we are most likely to stay silent on an issue we don't know much about. I approach speculation very slowly, just thinking it through and making connections to what I already know. I too am quick to adopt a new way of thought when I have been convinced of the new way's superiority.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have to have an opinion on literally everything. I can't help it. Even if I know absolutley nothing about the subject. I am constantly fighting battles because of it.

You're right in saying that when we find a better viewpoint than the one we took up, we do switch to the newer more rational position... Well some of the time, but usually I find it very hard to give up on something, I have this uncontrollable urge not to be wrong. I hate it, being wrong that is. I also can't admit I'm wrong, so often I find that I am defending the indefensible, much to other people's irritance.

However as has been mentioned, if you ask us a question, we will invariably answer regardless to if we know anything about the subject matter or not.

I will say that is something else that kind of irks me. My former boss was ESTJ, and he would talk his way into a corner, and even when he's proven wrong he'll hold on to his opinion. Somewhere later down in the line he'll say something to show you his opinion's changed, but he won't admit he was wrong.

Will2911

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I will say that is something else that kind of irks me. My former boss was ESTJ, and he would talk his way into a corner, and even when he's proven wrong he'll hold on to his opinion. Somewhere later down in the line he'll say something to show you his opinion's changed, but he won't admit he was wrong.

Oh that's exactly what I do. I know it's annoying, I just can't help myself. I think a lot of us are like that, without even realising it.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
To me when i am called out on the inaccuracy of my view point or stance or knowledge on something i will consider it first, if i found that your logically more coherent, i will come around to what you said in the first place and moderate whatever was inaccurate.

However if i do have authority over you and you question the validity of my perspective which indirectly means my intelligence(especially publically) i find this disrespectful and i will be reluctant before i acknowledge your point and compromise my own viewpoint for accuracy, which would eventually happen later since i praise being truthful. This is also a matter of ego i think and humility. As an ESTJ i don't want my reputation to degrade by looking ignorant and stupid both publicly and on an interpersonal level, it's undermining.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That and they are so convinced that they are right- that there only response is 'it can't be'- because of their understanding!
:laugh: My only response is usually "Where did you hear that?" or "Do you have proof?" ...unless I know right away that they must be right, in which case I say "...Huh." :doh: But that's how we do things, I guess.
EJCC- I assume when you say you are different than ISTJs, you are saying that we are most likely to stay silent on an issue we don't know much about. I approach speculation very slowly, just thinking it through and making connections to what I already know. I too am quick to adopt a new way of thought when I have been convinced of the new way's superiority.
Oh, okay! I had actually meant that the ISTJs I've met seemed much harder to convince than ESTJs - kind of along the lines of ISFJs (who I can never convince of anything, ever) - but your bolded statement says otherwise. Whoops!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
:laugh: My only response is usually "Where did you hear that?" or "Do you have proof?" ...unless I know right away that they must be right, in which case I say "...Huh." :doh: But that's how we do things, I guess.

Oh, okay! I had actually meant that the ISTJs I've met seemed much harder to convince than ESTJs - kind of along the lines of ISFJs (who I can never convince of anything, ever) - but your bolded statement says otherwise. Whoops!

1- Yeah that's how they do as well...as if their way is bulletproof. While it's annoying I see it for what it is- no offense taken.

2- I think any stick in the mud SJ can be hard to convince. ISxJs are probaly to say less and that's why you don't know if it's sinking or not. My ISFJ friend is like that. He knows everything, even when I shoot holes in his logic; he'll hold on to it. Sometimes later he will tell me he heard me and has accepted my input.