• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] Would an ISFJ be a good artist?

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I ask only because I know an excellent artist (who I am very slowly courting, she being as shy as she is) who typed herself as an ISFJ (perhaps in err, my own tests have waivered from time to time as an INFJ.)

Are there any other ISFJ artists 'round here? Is it very unlikely? Could she have mistyped herself?

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
What does MBTI-type have to do with talent?
:tongue: She's still a person.

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What does MBTI-type have to do with talent?
:tongue: She's still a person.

Not talent; pursuit of interests; it takes a lot of work to become a good artist, and certainly personalities seem as though they'd prefer one sort of pursuit over another, hence my question. Note the whole typology section referring to 'artists'

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typically what I have seen in ISFJ artists is that they are either really good at replicating things (e.g., drawing something that is in front of them, in detail, very carefully), or doing a lot of crafts-like stuff that creates a nice homey atmosphere or incorporates personally important things for people they love. They will also work very hard on a project to make it "exactly right."

People can veer outside the lines, sure, and it happens; but types tend to express themselves in ways that are natural for them.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Not talent; pursuit of interests; it takes a lot of work to become a good artist, and certainly personalities seem as though they'd prefer one sort of pursuit over another, hence my question. Note the whole typology section referring to 'artists'

I understand that we're on an MBTI forum, I get that the whole point of this place is to analyze different types in order to better our understanding of human perception and interaction, but to question a person's type because she happens to like art, and be good at it, seems silly to me.

I agree with Jennifer, an artist by a specific type may approach their subject matter in a certain way. But I don't believe that people's hobbies are determined by what four letters they possess. Just my two cents. w/e

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
They will also work very hard on a project to make it "exactly right."

That she does... though, to be fair, I rather think all [long term] artists probably do this, otherwise they'd not have kept improving over years and years and years. [Give up too easily and you won't be any good] vs. [I'm so good, I don't need to improve anymore].

Still, she does paints and draws both digitally and physically, and to a degree not far short now of what one might see on the front of a video game box. The work she's done for me, for example, is consistently different (and always better) than the early vision I'd had for the project.

But yeah, don't take the question terribly seriously. I just noticed the in many threads 'SJ's didn't often get considered as having an artistic compunction, I guess you could say. She is what she is, and I like it... I just want to understand her better.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes of course. If they have the talent and inspiration they will practice in order to get better and better. This is especially true if they're trying to impress someone or achieve something special.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
The ISFJ I know is a pretty good artist. Her drawings are too neat and structured for my tastes, but very nice and pleasant to look at.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFJs often have a strong sense of what is aesthetically pleasing, a strong sense of what has worked in the past (and that is more important in art than people may realize), and a patient attention to detail. Much of this makes up for where originality and vision may be lacking, not to say they do not have any. It's often simply not the conceptual, rife with subtle meaning type of vision you'd see in an NF. ISFJ art can have a mass appeal that an INFx type may lack. ISFP art tends to be most appreciated, from my observations, as it sort of bridges the gap (damn them!). Of course, other types can create art also, but it's easy to confuse the IxFx types for obvious reasons.