• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFJ] Are All ESFJs Like This?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I've been reading the replies (yes *gasp* ALL of them!) and I have to say

1) I don't see what's so bad with ESFJ's. I couldn't even tell you how ESFJs 'typically act'. I have not identified anyone in my life as ESFJ, I probably know some, I'm just not aware of their type

2) OP, I'm sure it has sunk in that people (in general) don't like type bashing here and people are very aware and on the look out for bias and stereotype. (INTPs greatly outnumber us poor EPs and EJs y'know.)

So let's move on to:

3) The woman's behavior doesn't sounds 'unhealthy'' or outrageous to me. She's a young chatty girl. Big deal. You work in retail right? Welcome to your working life, until you change jobs. Retail sales is full of teenaged and young women who are chatty, extroverted, and like to talk a lot of chit chat. That's why they are in retail.

If you can't stand that, I would suggest moving to inventory, warehouse, or shipping/receiving. They are pretty much lateral moves from retail sales...

I want to publicly second this.

It's not like I was trying to bring down the hammer on this poor INTP youth. But damn, do you all realize how much collective bitching about extroverts, EJs, ESs, even EPs is done on this forum? I DID NOT think this girl is much more unusual than me when I was youngin. I had to be told to STFU and I meant absolutely no harm to anyone. I was just talking. I had bosses tell me when I was in retail not to be so friendly with the customers. NOT BE FRIENDLY IN RETAIL??!! And if I'd known that me just being me was being lambasted on an internet forum, that's just sending out negativity at some unsuspecting girl who probably is just being young, not immature or unhealthy, just young.

Also, yes, I am supersensitive to type bias on this forum and if I have/will vociferously campaign against it. This is a multitype forum and threads like these only stir up animosity. Search threads with "ESFJ" in the title and you've got some slim pickings. Yeah I could've ignored it and not responded, but that's not me.

So I'm sorry I don't see this girl's behavior as violating some unbreakable rule. She seems like a normal girl who upset ImNotTooPopular's applecart. Put me in stocks; I can't dredge up the requisite sympathy. I feel sorry for the girl who we really don't know what she was doing and was getting blasted on an internet forum for something she probably doesn't even realize she did "wrong."

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, I know, I understand and sympathize with that, I was just asking for more details and facts about the situation before launching off on an advice gig that might turn out to be totally bum. ...
I agree that he doesn't seem to be forthcoming with additional details.
But after being skewered and fried, I'm not surprised.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So I'm sorry I don't see this girl's behavior as violating some unbreakable rule. She seems like a normal girl who upset ImNotTooPopular's applecart. Put me in stocks; I can't dredge up the requisite sympathy. I feel sorry for the girl who we really don't know what she was doing and was getting blasted on an internet forum for something she probably doesn't even realize she did "wrong."
I understand where you're coming from, and I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree that he doesn't seem to be forthcoming with additional details.
But after being skewered and fried, I'm not surprised.

Exactly.

I also sympathize with proteanmix's position, but by the same token one of the advantages I find with a multi-type board is that all types can freely express their issues and stuff with other types, and find solutions by getting input from all different kinds of people.

Whilst in one sense I can see protean's "anti type bashing" stance is obviously a good thing and necessary, I think it can still be taken too far if you're not allowing people to raise issues that they need help with. Even if their initial intention isn't to get help, but just to bitch, if you allow things to develop and people to input what they can, by and by through the course of the thread the person might find they're being helped despite themselves and learning the errors in a certain way of thought which they might otherwise not have had an opportunity to correct.

I'd say to have a bit of faith in the readership here, cos by and large people here are pretty decent and a mixed bunch, and even in the most chaotic threads, a consensus/solution does usually develop, which benefits everyone. But these things often come initially out of someone expressing something controversial, that might initially put people's backs up. Sure, someone might make a prejudiced or generally unfair post, but there are enough people around here to put across opposing/alternative viewpoints that chances are they'll soon be seeing the light in one way or another.

This still doesn't mean I like the OP (I don't), but I do think it's kinda ironic when someone's being told off for not showing compassion, when the main reason they're not is because they're simply inexperienced, frustrated and confused, perhaps they need compassion too. I tend to find that good traits and bad are taken up by example. People mirror each other. If you want someone to calm down, stop bitching and judging and show some compassion and understanding, the best way to achieve it is to lead the way yourself...

My trouble is, I sympathize with everyone! I can see everyone's point of view and looking from it, can't really disagree with anyone! Which only makes me look like I disagree with everyone! LOL :cry:

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Well, the ride question I think wasn't too serious. She wouldn't have been walking home in the dark. Her boyfriend was either working there or not working, so she did have a ride... maybe not as soon as she would've liked it to be. Also, I don't want to spend anymore time around her than necessary.

I'm 90-100% introverted, so I seriously prefer to be in the responding position of a conversation rather than the initiator. So pretty much I rely on other people a whole lot to make me feel comfortable, bring me out, and to investigate who I am. She isn't doing any of that, so I'd rather have her go away.

She never picked up on any signals that I don't like her or that I'm not too interested in what she's saying. A state I call self-unconscious as I mentioned before. If you want to get these people the message, you have to blatantly explain things to them.

I'm type 9. The main theme of my life is I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm 90-100% introverted, so I seriously prefer to be in the responding position of a conversation rather than the initiator. So pretty much I rely on other people a whole lot to make me feel comfortable, bring me out, and to investigate who I am. She isn't doing any of that, so I'd rather have her go away.

It sounds to me as though she's trying to do just that by talking to you... are your requirements somewhat too specific? I mean, do people have to psychically guess your personal interests and talk about those only, in order to bring you out? Again, I'm not being rhetorical or sarky, these are genuine questions because I recognize a lot of the way I used to be in what you say.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
About the OP, I'm not a J type. I didn't have some great plan or scheme going. Really, I wanted to know if the selfish, manipulation with negative judgements is common to ESFJs. I guess I was just complaining too. I also don't know much about this forum since my attendance is rather low.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I wonder how much INFP's and INFJ's have trouble with their opposites,
There are very very few people I really can't get along with in real life, and they are usually disliked by many other people too, ie they are people with *real* personality problems, no matter what their MBTI type may be. I'm just more likely to be the one trying to get along with them for a long time and then exploding in their face, while others will be more likely to use rude means to keep them at arm's length at all times.

But I do know how it feels to be jabbered at incessantly by someone who can't stop talking long enough to allow me to participate in the conversation, all the while being forced by societal duty to pretend I'm enjoying myself!
Who doesn't? I've been in such situations many times. Yes it's annoying, but I've simply learned the art of going "hm-mmh" at crucial points and letting them go on with the "conversation" while doing my own thing in my head. Annoying, but no big deal, and certainly not enough to go all judgemental and ranty on them!

I quite agree with you, but sometimes a person just needs to vent and get his frustration off his chest and have people validate his feelings.
Nobody will get validation from me when they start by demolishing somebody else's character :nono: What goes around comes around: you demolish them, I demolish you.

If I was in your shoes, I would make a joke out of her shallow/bs talk while steering the conversation into Ne/Ti land. Once there, keep it there and take control of the conversation.
That's what I was thinking too ;) Like for example, go all Mr Spock on her: "Fascinating!" and start deconstructing everything she says. Chances are *she*'s the one who'll want to avoid you after you do that a couple of times :tongue:

To be fair, although the OP doesn't give enough information for us to agree wholesale with the judgement, it also doesn't give us enough to disagree as strongly as some people are, or to judge ImNotTooPopular quite as harshly as some people are.
See below for my explanation of what went on in my head when I read the OP.

The more you guys pick on ImNotTooPopular, the more sorry I feel for him.
It's like almost everyone is bullying him.
Sure the OP came across as young, arrogant and judgmental. Most people do when they're frustrated. He came in here looking to have his frustration validated, and instead he's getting is a lecture about what a horrible person he is.
I never got the feeling that he wanted to have his frustration validated. The feeling I got was that he had judged this one girl, done deal, and now he was asking whether he could extend this judgement to her entire type.

People who talk too much and impose themselves in your life without respecting the boundaries are considered rude by all people everywhere!
I would agree... IF he HAD publicly set his own boundaries! But he hasn't. He just expects her to know where they are.

Nowhere in the rule books of polite society does it say "feel free to talk too much about whatever gushes to your mind, and oh, make sure you don't breathe, so the other person can't get a word in edgewise."
What "rule books of polite society" are you talking about, exactly? To be more precise: I don't think this girl is using the same ones as you are. She probably wouldn't have any problem with someone doing to her what she does to others. Isn't it one of the main points of typology that what is obvious to one type can be totally absurd to another?

Pardon me, but that is NOT a formula for success in life.
Not true. I know many people like that, and they are well-loved and succesful.

And now for the detailed explanation of why the OP pisses me off so badly.

First of, the title of the thread: "Are all ESFJs like this?" Bad start. Very bad start. First because the answer is obvious: no. ESFJs, just like all other types, come in all shapes. Just like it wouldn't be accurate to say "all INTPs are like this or like that", it is ridiculous to even wonder if all ESFJs are like this or like that. That's BASIC typology.

Second because of the *location* of the thread: the SJ Guardhouse. You don't come to someone's house and crap all over. You just don't. Period.

So, now I end up working with this fat ESFJ girl,
Fat. Why mention that she's fat? Why do people usually mention that someone is fat when they start a story? Right: to inform their listeners right from the beginning that this person is the "baddie". And you confirmed this later on, ImNotTooPopular: you said she was fat so that we wouldn't go thinking that this girl is one of those popular and attractive ESFJs. Ie: she's a baddie.

Unfortunately, I don't like it when people start by telling me what I'm supposed to think about someone. It's called MANIPULATION, and I hate it just as much as you do. Weird, huh?

and she is so annoying.
Again: I don't like it when people tell me what to think of someone. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it's a fact. You, an INTP, should know that better than most. If you had said "she annoys me so much", it would have been completely different. But no, you said "she's annoying", and that pissed me off big time.

She basically goes up to anyone and starts talking about simple, boring, everyday stuff like her roomate stealing her toilet paper and how she likes to eat cake.
Is that supposed to be any kind of justification for your judgement that she is "annoying"?? Because it sure isn't, not to me! I know tons of people like that and they sure aren't annoying just because they are like that.

And again with the "think as I want you to think" manipulation, by the way: simple, everyday stuff is boring. No, sorry, that's your opinion, that's not a fact.

She's always quick to come up with stupid judgements (notice the SJ) about me.
SJ bashing. Another bad strike.

She'll ask me to do stuff because she's too lazy to do it herself,
Example? Because you see, now that you have demonstrated that you have no qualms presenting your highly subjective opinions as facts, I just can't take your word on anything anymore.

and if I don't oblige, she says stuff like I'm mean.
You sure *sound* mean...

Maybe she's right when she says I'm rude, but I'm an INTP. DEAL WITH IT!
First major MBTI blunder: being INTP is not, has never been, and never will be an excuse for being rude. It IS an excuse for being oblivious to social expectations, yes, but not for being rude.

Second major MBTI blunder: being of any type is not an excuse for being an egotistic jerk who expects everyone else to conform to their rules. That works for you just as much as for her.

If you want fluff or sensitivity, go talk to some F type.
Except, of course, that she doesn't even KNOW about all that F type stuff, because you can't be bothered to TELL her about it. IOW, you want her to mind-read you. Again with the egotistic self-centeredness.

My ENTP friend and I discussed how ESFJs have this way of trying to manipulate people with their stupid judgements, but how it doesn't work with us.
Except, of course, that it DOES - just not in the way they want to. If you can't see just how strongly you are reacting to that girl's manipulation, then you are being incredibly blind.

Personally, when ESFJ girl says I'm mean, I just stand there thinking, "You're an idiot."
How is "you're an idiot" any less of a judgement than "you're mean"??

I know better than to tell her anything personal or meaningful because after two or three days, everyone in the whole damn store is gonna know about it. So pretty much I just stand there and mirror her level of interaction, by saying no more than boring everyday crap. Of course, sometimes we need to talk about work related stuff, so that works out okay.
Is all this supposed to somehow make her look bad, or something? Because to me it sounds like perfectly normal everyday life interaction with co-workers.

Yesterday, she asked me for a ride home later and my automatic response was NO.
That IS mean. Refusing to help someone without any reason is mean. You can choose to be mean, of course, but don't come and complain when people call you just that: mean.

Then she said something about not giving a "friend" a ride home. I almost told her, "You're not my friend. You're someone who stands in front of me and goes blah blah blah."
I understand what you mean. What I don't understand is how this is supposed to make you look any better than her.

Really, this girl doesn't know a thing about me. I haven't even mentioned a thing to her about my interest in personality theories.
First, what does it matter whether she knows anything about you or not? Some people are extremely inclusive in their circle of friends, and she sounds like she's one of those people. She counts you as a friend because she spends so much time around you. Nothing wrong or horrible about that.

Second, you're blaming her for your actions again. You don't share yourself, and then you blame her for not knowing you.

So honestly, what exactly am I supposed to get from that post?? Because what I DO get is:

1- You're mean and impolite.

2- You're incredibly egocentric, expecting people to live by your rules, to know what you're thinking, and to know the bits of knowledge you're withholding from them.

3- You're blind to your own excessive emotions even while blaming that girl for being so emotional.

4- You're breaking some of the most basic rules of typology.

5- And most irritatingly of all: you're manipulative and arrogant.

If that's supposed to make me think "poor you", then it has failed abysmally, to say the least :dry:

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
My trouble is, I sympathize with everyone! I can see everyone's point of view and looking from it, can't really disagree with anyone! Which only makes me look like I disagree with everyone! LOL :cry:
Blame your Dominant Ne for that :laugh: !

And darn you for planting the seeds of sympathy for ImNotTooPopular in my mind!!! :steam: :shock: :doh: :cry:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: I'm not picking on him unreasonably! :cry: I just felt like pointing out the hypocrisy of the complaints because that's what blatantly stood out to me! :)

Being an ES myself, I suppose my take on the situation wasn't what an INTP would be looking for, but it's probably a good approach to dealing with one, since you'd be acting in a familiar manner that the person in question would more easily understand- yes, I was a bit blunt with what I said, that's because I'll admit that the tone of the OP and following posts annoyed me a bit, but my advice DOES work! ;)

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It sounds to me as though she's trying to do just that by talking to you... are your requirements somewhat too specific? I mean, do people have to psychically guess your personal interests and talk about those only, in order to bring you out? Again, I'm not being rhetorical or sarky, these are genuine questions because I recognize a lot of the way I used to be in what you say.

No they don't have to guess or read my mind, but she only asked me two questions about me as far as I can remember. They were like gossip-related questions I didn't even want to be asked.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Now that some of you painted me as some horrible person, I'd like to say the reason I didn't say she wasn't my friend was because it was mean.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm going to jump in here. I don't like to bash anyone and especially not an SJ - goodness knows we have enough problems here - but there are folks who can be quite self-focused. They only want to talk about themselves, what they've been doing, buying, eating, watching, etc. They don't reflect on the world outside themselves. And they don't ask questions about you.

It sounds like there's a huge mismatch in personalities in the long-discussed situation above, but it could also be the woman in question is one of those people. Not because she's ESFJ per se, but because she's never cultivated the art of conversation, which is a back and forth flow.

I have at least two friends, both EPs, who can be self-focused in the way I mentioned. Sometimes I have to let them talk themselves out. Eventually the conversation comes around. Personally I find that less irritating than being lectured about some esoteric thing like geothermal wells which my neighbor is likely to do. When he starts talking, I head for my door. We all have our pet conversation peeves.

Jae Rae

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm not sure who brought up talking about people on a forum where they can't defend themselves. Anyway, I don't see the harm in doing that. It's not like you know who this person is, and if you met her, you wouldn't even know that it's her. It's talking bad about people with people that actually know and interact with them that's a problem. Even just releasing details that shouldn't be released. Now I know that another female coworker has been on her period for a month straight. My response to ESFJ girl saying that was, "Do you think she wants you telling everybody that?"

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Unfortunately, I don't like it when people start by telling me what I'm supposed to think about someone. It's called MANIPULATION, and I hate it just as much as you do. Weird, huh?

First major MBTI blunder: being INTP is not, has never been, and never will be an excuse for being rude. It IS an excuse for being oblivious to social expectations, yes, but not for being rude.

How is "you're an idiot" any less of a judgement than "you're mean"??

I'm not telling you what to think; I'm stating what I think.

The rudeness issue has kinda been obscured. I am not deliberately rude when she says I am, but things come out bluntly without any padding.

Thinking "you're an idiot" is different cause it's an introverted judgement. :D It's like better and stuff cause nobody has to hear it, hehehe.

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
Now I know that another female coworker has been on her period for a month straight. My response to ESFJ girl saying that was, "Do you think she wants you telling everybody that?"

Well that's a start, an attempt to get her to think about the things she says. Good job.;)

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

You implied you wanted an example of the work dodging. So, in the warehosue there's a stack of sugar involving 10 four-pound bags in each case (40 pounds each) on top of some cans of soup that she wants moved. Yes, I'm a male, but she's as tall as me and probably at least 60 lbs heavier. That means she's at least as strong as I am if not stronger. She doesn't feel like moving the sugar, so she employs her manipulation tactics, probably not in a cruel calculating manner, but they probably just come natural to her. She probably doesn't even realize she's doing it.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm going to jump in here. I don't like to bash anyone and especially not an SJ - goodness knows we have enough problems here - but there are folks who can be quite self-focused. They only want to talk about themselves, what they've been doing, buying, eating, watching, etc. They don't reflect on the world outside themselves. And they don't ask questions about you.

It sounds like there's a huge mismatch in personalities in the long-discussed situation above, but it could also be the woman in question is one of those people. Not because she's ESFJ per se, but because she's never cultivated the art of conversation, which is a back and forth flow.

I have at least two friends, both EPs, who can be self-focused in the way I mentioned. Sometimes I have to let them talk themselves out. Eventually the conversation comes around. Personally I find that less irritating than being lectured about some esoteric thing like geothermal wells which my neighbor is likely to do. When he starts talking, I head for my door. We all have our pet conversation peeves.

Jae Rae

Hmm... all well and good, but sometimes the reason why I might talk about myself at length isn't because I'm egotistic or self-centred - it's actually the opposite. I don't want to ask them questions about themselves in case I accidentally hit a sensitive topic, or make them feel pressured to share things they don't want to. I talk about myself in the hope they'll reciprocate by doing the same thing and telling me whatever they want to about themselves, and let them choose what to share, what they feel comfortable saying. I don't have a plan or agenda of what precisely I want to know about them - I don't have any criteria by which I judge them, I'm not looking for things to mark off on a checklist or anything. I just want to let it come as it may, from them as they feel comfortable and ready, and process it as it comes, according to context.

It isn't really fair that a lot of introverted people seem to see the creation and success/enjoyableness rating of all conversation as the extravert's responsibility. But it just doesn't work that way. You can't just sit there like a big ol' rock, it's a two way street.

When the ESFJ talks about her "egotistical" stuff, she probably expects you to do the same in return, and would probably welcome it. It can be so different, if the same thing is done with a person who is more able to carry their half of a conversation.

I've had conversations many times where, if you just took one person's part of it and wrote it all down, it'd look like a stream of self-obsessed rambling about me, me, me. But when you put it all together, it's several people confiding things in each other and in that way, encouraging further confidence and giving consolation and solidarity to each other, as well as alternative perspectives.

Just saying, y'know, just because someone talks about stuff that interests them or about themselves and their lives, it doesn't mean they're self-obsessed or that they don't care and aren't interested in you. It can often mean quite the opposite.

And ExxP conversations when we get together can be very rapid fire - it's one of the things I love most, when everything one says sparks off something in the other and it just goes on like that so you barely draw breath. It doesn't seem to an EP (and possibly EJ's as well, I'm not sure) that they're not giving you room to talk, because with like minded people, they know if someone has something to say they tend to dive right in and say it.

It doesn't always occur to people that somebody actually wants the room to be silent, and someone to gesture with an open hand to them and say "Hey, you over there, tell us - please do! - what you have to say on the matter" while everyone sits on the edge of their seats in rapt attention. And yet, even if you do that, they then complain about being "put on the spot" or "in the spotlight" and say that makes them feel uncomfortable and unable to open up!!

It just seems to me sometimes that many introverts seem to have such complex and demanding requirements - almost diva-like - as to in exactly what circumstances they can open up or join a conversation... I remember when I was younger and hadn't developed the social skills I have now, it could feel sometimes like I was standing there throwing everything I had at them, waiting for a bite, praying that SOMETHING I said would trigger their interest, but they just stood there, disdainfully rejecting all my efforts and judging me according to criteria that seemed impossible to fulfil without pretending to be something I wasn't.

It used to seem to me - and still sometimes does - that some introverts really just want to have a talking mirror... they want someone just like them to basically say out loud to them all the things they already think (because it's soooo much effort for them to say it themselves), so they can nod and say "I agree! I totally agree!" and then say to themselves "Wow this person is awesome!" Which... well, y'know, shows extraverts or SJ's aren't the only ones who can create a (often false) image of self-centred egotism.

Just a li'l perspective there from an extravert, on this introvert dominated board, to say, c'mon, it's not all roses looking from the other side either!!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure who brought up talking about people on a forum where they can't defend themselves.

It was me, bro.

Anyway, I don't see the harm in doing that. It's not like you know who this person is, and if you met her, you wouldn't even know that it's her. It's talking bad about people with people that actually know and interact with them that's a problem. Even just releasing details that shouldn't be released.

Why didn't you say this in the OP? Well?

In spite of what others' have said, I can't muster any sympathy for you. That "fat" attack was pretty nasty and I think you knew it when you posted. No one's that socially daft.

Now I know that another female coworker has been on her period for a month straight. My response to ESFJ girl saying that was, "Do you think she wants you telling everybody that?"

If she can't keep her mouth shut, she'll get hoisted on her own petard.