User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I like to read novels with lots of description. It helps me feel as if I can visualize the world of the book. When I'm reading a really good book, I can feel as if I am part of the world of the book. It's the details that do that for me, especially if they are vivid and colorful. But that's also the way that I experience my external world... with lots of colors and shapes and smells and sounds... lots and lots of sensory detail, and I'm so happy...
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbirleigh View Post
    I have that problem with ALL of Stephen King's books.... Seems like he goes into too much detail on everything.
    Are you insinuating that IT was too long at 1250 pages?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I read very fast and miss a lot of details. I kinda take in phrases here and there more than reading linearly. I don't consider myself either big-picture or detail-oriented, just normal. I'm not sure this is related to type from this thread, but who knows. I've read a LOT of books in my life.

I loved Stephen King once but haven't felt like that type of book for a while. I really, really hated LOTR (and similarly-written fantasy) even though I love the story line and hence the movies. The mind-numbing details and freaking poetry everywhere kills it for me. I'm more interested in plot and especially character development than the 17 different shades of red in an autumn landscape. lol.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MBTI Enthusiast View Post
    So I eventually concluded: I read as fast as I can because I’m either dying to know what happens in the book or bored with it and want to get it over with. I notice I get bored with the details and try to skim those to get through the plot as fast as possible. However, my sister tends to read slower because she is constantly trying to absorb the details, really imagining being in the various situations, analyzing the plot, predicting the endings, etc. I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about what COULD happen, I just want to know what DOES happen.
    I don't know if reading speed is an S/N difference - since I know an INFJ who, at exciting points in books, skims to the point of missing important plot details - but I do read pretty quickly. However, when I catch myself skimming, I make myself stop, because I don't want to miss anything potentially important. (I'll bet it's a J/P thing, actually, because the people I know who take their sweet time with things are always xxxP, so that probably applies to reading, too.)

As for the bolded part, that's pretty much how I read - and also how I watch mystery movies. Both of my parents (INFJ and INTP) enjoy speculating and trying to predict who did it, but I just go along for the ride. I'd rather focus on the story that's written than try and make up my own.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Are you insinuating that IT was too long at 1250 pages?

I do like descriptions of things...but there is a point where I'm like, "did we really need to use an entire paragraph to describe the dog?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbirleigh View Post

I do like descriptions of things...but there is a point where I'm like, "did we really need to use an entire paragraph to describe the dog?"

It's very funny that most people I know that read/have read King will say something exactly along those lines.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post

It's very funny that most people I know that read/have read King will say something exactly along those lines.
    Well at least I know I'm not overreacting about it then... Unless there is an entire group of us overreacting about his details.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I read fast but am able to visualise the plot without difficulty. To much details and i'm bored
    This.
    I can pack away a large book in a day if it's a real page turner, if it's not up to par though I might not even make it past the first couple of chapters. *shrugs* When I read I visualize in real time, I imagine what the characters look and sound like, their body language and their expressions. I never try and savour an ending, I want to know what happens NOW. Bouncing potential ideas/outcomes off friends can be fun too though, I still think Harry Potter should have ended differently.

:steam:
    ... *grumbles*

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    This.
    I can pack away a large book in a day if it's a real page turner, if it's not up to par though I might not even make it past the first couple of chapters. *shrugs* When I read I visualize in real time, I imagine what the characters look and sound like, their body language and their expressions. I never try and savour an ending, I want to know what happens NOW. Bouncing potential ideas/outcomes off friends can be fun too though, I still think Harry Potter should have ended differently.

:steam:
    ... *grumbles*
    I haven't read the final Harry Potter book... I read all the way up to that one and then, by the time it was finally released I had lost interest...

Worst book ending ever for me was Stephen King's Cell.... That ending thoroughly pissed me off because I felt like there were so many unanswered questions about the characters.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Sorry to hear that, Kym