User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default How detailed are you?

I'm questioning my detailed-ness.......I'm finding that I don't care as much as the other SJs (ISTJ, ESTJ, and ESFJ) around here. In fact, their attention to details that are unrelated to the big picture/issue at hand really annoys me.

Am I alone here?

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not an SJ but IZthe411 said I could post anyway...

I never thought I was that detail-oriented, and I often am not, but one way I have realized I care about details is in an aesthetic sense. I notice things like how raindrops have collected on leaves after a storm, the shape and material of objects like dishes, the type of bottle that shampoo comes in, and things like that. In the right mood I can spend HOURS working intensely on the intricacies of something like animal fur on a drawing, going over it until I feel satisfied with the result.

In my engineering classes I’d sometimes get killed on tests for stuff like simple addition errors or forgetting to carry 2x to the next line or something. I have trouble remembering birthdays and special days like that, too… so I always thought I was bad with details, but now I’m realizing that this perception about myself maybe isn’t entirely true.

I know it's the SJ forum, but SPs (SFPs?) do you consider yourself detail-oriented? How so?

I will make a new thread...?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I'm questioning my detailed-ness.......I'm finding that I don't care as much as the other SJs (ISTJ, ESTJ, and ESFJ) around here. In fact, their attention to details that are unrelated to the big picture/issue at hand really annoys me.

Am I alone here?
    I guess the fact that I haven't noticed this with other SJs here must mean that I don't notice details much. Hahaha

Admittedly, when I do noticed details for some odd reason it is extremely pleasurable.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

No, you are not.

I look at the big picture first, and, only if the plan needs adjustments, I go into the details.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow....so how did we get that rep?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Wow....so how did we get that rep?
    Because most typology information sites´ authors can´t distinguish between mental processes (cognitive functions) and personality (the result of a mix of genetics, environment, and life experiences). Or they mix both concepts to make such weird associations.

In my opinion.

Victor Hugo

Enneagram
    1w2

I went to a orientation recently that had us do the following activity.

Partner up with another person. One person is Person A and the other is Person B. Sit back to back with your partner. Person A is given a drawing similar to this:

and person A had to describe the individual shapes and placement of the shapes to person B to draw it. Then we got another picture and switched.

They explained the point of the activity was to show us communication gaps in one person's view of accuracy, description, and detail vs. another's and how to bridge that gap. Everybody's drawing looked liked a drunk left-handed monkey with PD was given a box of crayons, except one team's...theirs looked pretty decent. I guess that activity changed my mind about what details means.

Read your contracts people!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Nice post. I did a similar exercise in a group job interview.

By the way, this is the first time I see a moderator posting here.

Victor Hugo

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am a bit of a bugger in that sometimes i am so detailed but at other times i am so vague, you are unable to connect the dots although i know what i'm talking about.

I am PMing with an INTp at present and his thinking is so different to mine that i have to work harder to think outside the box and consider other possibilities. What i am coming to see is that sometimes you can express yourself clearly and concisely and still use few words .. My only concern is that you then start speaking/writing figuratively and not literally.

It's all a learning curve.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe