User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

My ISTJ mom likes to collect old things that have value like coins, books, stamps, etc.

I had a female ESTJ boss who came into the offices and just overhauled the place in the matter of a couple of weeks. There were 7 rooms. She had to rearrange all the furniture even though there was nothing wrong with the way it was. She was compelled to throw away everything she didn't see a use for. I got the impression ESTJs are not ones for leaving clutter around.

MBTI
    ISTx

Why doesn't this apply to me at all, I'm wondering.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know you at all, but maybe you have a high N factor?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Why doesn't this apply to me at all, I'm wondering.
    Don't worry. My mom's boyfriend is an ENTP and a real pack rat, even of expensive items -- he has a Bowflex machine, a synthesizer, and skis which he never uses, but also refuses to sell -- and he also has dozens of more cheaper things. So collecting and pack-ratting is not necessarily an Si domain.

MBTI
    INTJ

My ISTJ friend collects comic books.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTx

Well, I guess I do want to collect vinyl but only have 2 albums.

MBTI
    isfj

I knit, crochet and sew so I have stashes of yarn and fabric for upcoming projects. I also have many, many personal photographs. I do hang onto things a little longer than needed, but I'm not opposed to getting rid of something that I have no use for or has no or little sentimental value. There is a pull to keep things that I might use in the future, but the better part of me gets rid of them, knowing I can always find whatever it is again- if that future time ever came.

Oh, I have a lot of CDs, does that count?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

My ISTJ friend collects knives, most of them he uses... kind of... ^^;;
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

So you'll see lots of ISTJ men develop meticulous collections of things, whereas the ISFJ women seem to fuel most of the scrapbooking industry if they try it... not necessarily for the "artsy" part but because it serves as a memoir of the people who are meaningful to her and is often used to maintain family/relationships.

I specify gender mostly because I have little experience with ISTJ women and ISFJ males; but based on those few observations, the focus on personal vs impersonal might actually hinge more on gender than on T/F for the ISxJ, partially because the gender expressions are SO ingrained by the nature of Si.
    My ISTJ aunt is the queen of scrapbooking. It's her weekly Saturday activity - she'll take her scrapbooking luggage looking thing to a scrapbook store and plant herself there from mid morning until late at night. She also has an entire room dedicated to scrapbooking with tons of plastic storage drawers & bins of scrapbooking stuff - completely organized, of course.

My ISTJ aunt & most likely ISTJ grandmother (the two are carbon copies of each other) have both dedicated a LOT of time to geneology & my family's been mapped out by the two of them for quite a few generations. It really is amazing. I tried to help them once & was bored to tears, probably due to Si being dead last in my eight functions, haha.

My ESTP mother will join her scrapbooking, but my mom is far less organized about it. I think she does it for the creative side of it, moreso than to organize memories. However, she has zero attention span so she has a lot of incomplete albums.

I've dabbled in it a little, but the only albums I made were for people who would completely appreciate a gift like that. My pages were never organized like my aunts, but more "out there" and I'd play with textures & color schemes - usually get weird materials and mess with the actual photo a bit. It was more an art project than a way of logging memories, haha. My ENFJ cousin seems to scrapbook in a way similiar to me.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    My ISTJ aunt & most likely ISTJ grandmother (the two are carbon copies of each other) have both dedicated a LOT of time to geneology & my family's been mapped out by the two of them for quite a few generations. It really is amazing. I tried to help them once & was bored to tears, probably due to Si being dead last in my eight functions, haha.
    My mom is also incredibly interested in our geneology, and has spent countless hours over the past 2-3 years doing that. I'm afraid I have little patience with it, though. And I just don't have much interest in knowing the minute details of generations past. But I can certainly appreciate the end product and all of the work involved. Oddly enough my brother got into it too (INTP), and has proven to be really adept at the researching, even to the point of ordering a book from Norway that is about a specific little town there. He's figured out a lot of the stuff that my mom would never have found, and has gone down paths that she wouldn't have thought of. But my mom was the one who first became interested in it. I can't recall why my brother started doing it. It was possibly a way of helping my mom because she would always bring it up and she often needs assistance with computer stuff (she's not computer savvy). But he also probably started doing it because it was soon after a depression period and I have a feeling he wanted/needed things to occupy his time.

I've dabbled in it a little, but the only albums I made were for people who would completely appreciate a gift like that. My pages were never organized like my aunts, but more "out there" and I'd play with textures & color schemes - usually get weird materials and mess with the actual photo a bit. It was more an art project than a way of logging memories, haha. My ENFJ cousin seems to scrapbook in a way similiar to me.
    I've never had the scrapbooking desire. Mostly it's because I don't think there's much value-add in my doing it, and I'm perfectly happy with my photos in cheap photo albums. But also I cringe at the cost of all of it -- I'd much rather spend my money on other things or experiences that matter more to me.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ