User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Alas, her brief time online is usually spent surfing government sites containing public records so she can find out about the people she knows. She navigates those suckers like a fish in water.
    Haha -- that is very telling!

:edit: I read through all the responses

In terms of classes and learning, I know we're talking about ISFJ but someone mentioned similarities in terms of sturctured learning wtih ISXJ.

I think the differences between my ISTJ friend and myself are textbook type differences.

She takes classes to master things and she really hits the books and accomplishes all the goals of the class. Me? Honestly I'm likely to drop the class 1/2 way or lose interest or give up on it (like ceramics...wrestling with the potter's wheel is not fun and I didn't bother picking up my deformed and shameful little ashtray from the kiln)

She's very technical minded, to the point she's been added to the 'help desk' list-serv at work and the IT people include her on e-mails and assume she knows as much as they do. Also, I had a plasma flat screen TV for about a year and never figured out how to get over the air channels on it. She fiddled with it for about 15 minutes and got the channels up! I asked her how she did it and she refused to tell me and told me to read the manual. Personally, I didn't care I was just happy to have the channels up.

She also went to Spain and Italy to learn the respective languages and did a pretty good job immersing herself. She's much more likely to be hanging out with friends, travelling, biking, or even watching tv than on an online forum. I think she would probably find a 'social' (versus technical) forum pointless and unentertaining unless she was having trouble meeting specific groups of people IRL. Though she did start her own e-mail list to keep track of goings on and events amongst a larger circle of people.

I know, it's anecdotal, but FWIW.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I asked her how she did it and she refused to tell me and told me to read the manual. Personally, I didn't care I was just happy to have the channels up.
    Perhaps she said that because that's what she had to do.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I didn't mean to sound dismissive Jae Rae, and I did say it wasn't my opinion but just a random thought I had come to me, which I expressed to see what others would make of it, since I didn't make much of it myself. That's the way Ne dominants work...

I wasn't saying "no ISFJ's use computers and they're all useless bimbos". I'm just saying that each type has higher probabilities of certain inclinations, and taking the function order that's given for ISFJ, it seems more likely that they would

a) be female (thereby, not exactly excluded but less encouraged by society to take part in 'sciences'), which is true of any F type (true as in a truly higher probability, not 'always the case')

b) prefer to stick to what they know, rather than try new things,

c) be apprehensive of trying something new without supervision from someone who knew the territory - both natural aspects of having Si as a dominant function.

d) as introverts, be less hungry for human interaction than their extraverted Feeling and SJ cousins, and therefore less likely to put the effort into overcoming an apprehension towards the unknown and a general lower level of confidence with improvising, to participate in Internet communities

e) as introverted feelers, be more likely to have a few RL close friends that are all the social life they want and need, as opposed to introverted thinkers who often find social bonding and making friends more difficult and/or have even less need for it (even if they only think they have less need for it).

I hope this clarifies to you that I wasn't generalizing or dismissing, but just extrapolating from the theory of MBTI and the function attitudes. Even so I still want to labour the point that this is ALL it is to me, and not my own personal opinion. I have no opinion on the matter, as I don't have enough info to make one.

edit - and yes, the ISFJ I know is exactly as tech-savvy as she needs to be. That is, she knows how to operate the computer system in her office in order to do the things that her job entails; she can use her cellphone, or the features of it that are of use to her. But if I were to ask her how to do something that's never come up in her line of work, or that she'd never thought about before, I know for certain (and from experience) that she'd be more likely to say "Well, I don't know, you'll have to ask someone else" - she'd be able to tell me exactly where to find the information, but she wouldn't say, "Well, I dunno, but let's see, if you open the... and click on... then it should... oh wait, hang on, no, okay let's try... ah, that's it", she wouldn't just improvise and figure it out on the spot, like I do all the time.

That's not prejudice, that's simple type theory. Si is a 'stick to what you know and work outwards slowly' function, whilst my dominant is Ne, which is a 'dive right in and figure it out as you go' function. My head is choc-full of info that I've never had any personal need of and possibly never will, from times when I've just tried and tested and experimented 'just to see'. I never know 'just as much as I need' - within minutes of the supervisor turning their back, I'm tinkering away and figuring out more stuff because I'm quite simply, insatiably curious.
    I agree with your points. I work with a lot (20+) of former mainframe programmers that are at least twice my age (I'm 26) and whom I suspect are Guardians. Most of them maintain our legacy systems and their skills within their respective systems are second to none. Sadly many of them are very reluctant to work on new systems and when they do so, it is which much trepidation.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    edit - and yes, the ISFJ I know is exactly as tech-savvy as she needs to be. That is, she knows how to operate the computer system in her office in order to do the things that her job entails; she can use her cellphone, or the features of it that are of use to her. But if I were to ask her how to do something that's never come up in her line of work, or that she'd never thought about before, I know for certain (and from experience) that she'd be more likely to say "Well, I don't know, you'll have to ask someone else" - she'd be able to tell me exactly where to find the information, but she wouldn't say, "Well, I dunno, but let's see, if you open the... and click on... then it should... oh wait, hang on, no, okay let's try... ah, that's it", she wouldn't just improvise and figure it out on the spot, like I do all the time.

That's not prejudice, that's simple type theory. Si is a 'stick to what you know and work outwards slowly' function, whilst my dominant is Ne, which is a 'dive right in and figure it out as you go' function. My head is choc-full of info that I've never had any personal need of and possibly never will, from times when I've just tried and tested and experimented 'just to see'. I never know 'just as much as I need' - within minutes of the supervisor turning their back, I'm tinkering away and figuring out more stuff because I'm quite simply, insatiably curious.
    Well, perhaps this is true, but I can also say that I've given similar responses to people who ask questions of me at work! It really depends on the situation. Sometimes, I'll try to help them out. But other times, if I have a lot of other stuff going on and feel pressed for time, and genuinely don't know the answer, I have no problem saying I don't know, and directing them to someone I know who DOES know the answer, and would be able to provide the answer much quicker than I would be able to. I'll do that over work email too. If I don't know the answer, I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure it out if I already know someone who would know the answer instantaneously.

I have become good friends with an ISFJ coworker who fulfills the same job role as I, and she serves as an interesting comparison to me. She's certainly very competant, good at the job, and very trustworthy, thorough, and dependable - which are traits that are *really* desirable (and rather rare) on the job, especially if you need to work together. However, we do approach the job differently, and while we're quite similar with Fe/emotions, the Ni and Si difference does become apparent on the job. She has told me personally that she envies my being able to pull a lot of stuff together to pinpoint the root issues when she gets bogged down with the details, and that sometimes I'll say stuff in meetings and she'll think, 'Wow, why didn't I see that?', or something similar...so I feel like the technical/systems aspects and all of the testing scenarios come more *naturally* to me than to her, even though she can do it all too - it just might take her more time. And I think I'm able to juggle and multitask and ride through system/project/etc changes a bit easier than she. On the other hand, she is much much better keeping things organized and documenting things. We balanced each other really well when it was just us two on a project last year.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default Reporting in

Another ISTJ reporting in, go ahead and challenge my logic

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Another ISTJ reporting in, go ahead and challenge my logic
    OK, this isn't the ISTJ thread, it's the ISFJ thread

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    OK, this isn't the ISTJ thread, it's the ISFJ thread
    Whoops you just challenged it

MBTI
    INTP

My roommate is an ISFJ, and she spends tons of time on the internet. But she's not interested in MBTI at all. She'll politely listen to me talk about it, and she took the test to humor me. But she just doesn't really see the point in it all. She likes to IM, and she is way more likely to update on sites like facebook, myspace, etc, than I am. She's a member of a few forum sites, usually related to music or tv shows she's into.

I think there are just certain types that are interested in MBTI and other types for whom it holds no interest. It's a shame, b/c I love to have MBTI discussions with other types.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am an ESFJ. I am trying to imagine what an Introvert version of myself would be like, and I've got nothing. Probably a smart, determined person who has a better idea of when to keep his/her mouth shut than I have. Welcome, fellow SFJs!
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

My gf got her older sister, an ISFJ, into mbti. She is into it and is a full believer but is far too busy taking care of the myriad of responsibilities she puts on her self through work (corporate lawyer) and aiding all her friends and family members with whatever they need (or she thinks they need).

One of the sweetest people you could ever meet (but I have a thing for IXFJs).