First 234

Thread: ESTJ traits

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Unfortunately I live with an unhealthy ESTJ(father), he puts me down alot, he thinks something is wrong with me because I am introverted(thinks I have a "disability"). He is quick to judge other people with their problems and considers himself better than those he judges but he has a gambling problem and can't keep any money and is a sorry excuse for a father.

He is the biggest bigot and hypocrite I know and doesn't even realize it, the irony of some of the things he says is really humorous to me. He is the stereotypical loud, aggressive, closed-minded, self righteous idiot and I have to live with it. My sister had a really hard time getting along with him growing up and was actively rebellious against him. I remember being yelled at constantly because I wasn't the most organized child, even when he was helping me with my homework he used to yell and curse at me. The bad part is he thinks he is very "intelligent" and I'm slow(because I'm quiet and soft-spoken), but in reality I'm am alot more intelligent, thoughtful, and wiser than he'll ever be.

I guest he thinks highly of himself because he served in the US Army for 25 years and was a high school math teacher, but nothing excuses his blatant disregard for his children. I try to keep the peace and avoid conflict with him so I try to lessen my presence around him as much as possible. I am sorry for providing a bad example of a ESTJ but this is my experience with one that I know.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post
    :steam: One of my best girl friends is an INFP and we're both stubborn as hell! It's frustrating, and surprisingly I am usually the one who backs down when we're having an argument. (Usually the arguments are about issues or ideas-- I don't think we've ever had a fight in ten years of friendship!) Preserving my friendship with her is more important than being right-- even if only slightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post
    Quite! I don't know if I can speak for ALL ESTJs, but I've got an overactive conscience. It's one of my favorite things about myself.

My INFP best friend and I often come to the same conclusions about issues (especially politically) but come around to them by using a completely different train of thought.
    Similar story here.

Its strange that two complete opposing types have these weird crossovers. My sister has very strong values like myself. Fundamentally, she and I have same moral beliefs (being raised in the same house will do that) but we interpret them very differently. Now that we're adults 90% of our disagreements are about politics, issues and ideas because those are what we both feel passionately about.

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Unfortunately I live with an unhealthy ESTJ(father), he puts me down alot, he thinks something is wrong with me because I am introverted(thinks I have a "disability"). He is quick to judge other people with their problems and considers himself better than those he judges but he has a gambling problem and can't keep any money and is a sorry excuse for a father.

He is the biggest bigot and hypocrite I know and doesn't even realize it, the irony of some of the things he says is really humorous to me. He is the stereotypical loud, aggressive, closed-minded, self righteous idiot and I have to live with it. My sister had a really hard time getting along with him growing up and was actively rebellious against him. I remember being yelled at constantly because I wasn't the most organized child, even when he was helping me with my homework he used to yell and curse at me. The bad part is he thinks he is very "intelligent" and I'm slow(because I'm quiet and soft-spoken), but in reality I'm am alot more intelligent, thoughtful, and wiser than he'll ever be.

I guest he thinks highly of himself because he served in the US Army for 25 years and was a high school math teacher, but nothing excuses his blatant disregard for his children. I try to keep the peace and avoid conflict with him so I try to lessen my presence around him as much as possible. I am sorry for providing a bad example of a ESTJ but this is my experience with one that I know.
    Yeah, that's a pretty unhealthy ESTJ. Sounds like you've had a rough time . Some people (and this goes for any type) have trouble accepting that there are many different kinds of people that are good at different things and if we didn't have that, society wouldn't function.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    My sister is almost certainly an ESTJ and I want to know more about the type. Being an INFP and the opposite type, we have tended to clash a bit in the past but we are getting to a place where we get along better. She's not someone that is all that interested in MBTI so it would be nice to discuss the type here. And I find most of the descriptions a little unimaginative, saying little more than " very organized" and "a natural leader" in a variety of different ways.

If you are an ESTJ or know one well, tell me about yourself/them. What are some ESTJ traits beyond the obvious stuff? What would we be surprised to know about ESTJs? I'm looking for more positive stuff but the odd insightful flaw is welcome.

To start off, here is a little about my sister. She:
    - is a natural leader ( ) and whatever situation she is in somehow she ends up in positions of authority
    - is lively and sociable people person and a bit of a party girl
    - has high expectations for herself and holds others up to the same standards.
    - is extremely loyal but unfortunately people often fail to reciprocate this.
    - is hard-working, responsible and reliable even when she doesn't want to be. She often gets unfairly used by others for this reason.
    - has strong values and sticks to them resolutely. This can cause problems when she won't allow exceptions to the rule.
    - thinks she is not good enough in some way, that she is not what she should be. This feeling particularly seems to arise when around our ESFJ cousin.
    - is very laid back and easy-going in general but if someone crosses her they experience the full force of her wrath.
    - is very assertive and not afraid of verbal confrontation.
    - has a great sense of humour and has a rather silly streak.
    - is a mix of toughness and soft femininity.
    - practically every guy that knows her is at least a little bit in love with her.
    - not easily tempted to getting into relationships. When she does she is a really excellent, understanding and fun girlfriend.
    - likes to makes sure the people she cares about are taken care of.

Anyone identify with these qualities?
    I relate to the bolded.

Traits:

1. Consistently occupied. My time is always filled up with things to do.
    2. Like to josh with people, especially people who are uptight or quick to offense.
    3. Hot and cold. When I'm good, it's good. When I'm angry, being around me can be aggravating.
    4. Very protective of people I care about. I also give them royal treatment.
    5. Socially competent, like to talk with others, good at engaging strangers.
    6. Slow to react if I don't feel there's an immediate need for it. Sometimes means I react to things too late.
    7. Focused on goals.
    8. Not good with my feelings, have learned how to be good with other peoples' feelings.
    9. Exceedingly generous with people who have counter views/beliefs. Tend to always look for the reason why somebody thinks contrary to me rather than jumping on people for being different. By far one of the more open-minded and tolerant people I know (though definitely not the most. I have some friends who far outpace me). Also ties back into the slow to react #6.
    10. Approach life largely from a pragmatic standpoint. I make decisions based largely on usefulness and efficiency. It's great.
    11. Adventurous. Willing to try most things once.
    12. Quickly fall in and out of fascination with ideas. I often enjoy the idea over acting on it (this probably equates to laziness on some level).
    13. Long-term thinker. I think in 10-20 years time-spans. Present is always a training ground for the future.

Might be surprised to know I'm easy to get along with. Most people I meet enjoy my company.

Work in the more artistic side of marketing. Also tend to enjoy artistic hobbies/activities. I enjoy science, too, though. Except anything chem related...although there's this idea in my head that requires some chem knowledge, so I might be passing back into that subject sometime in the near-ish future.

Have no problem breaking rules if I'm more interested in what happens when they're broken.

Love knowledge, thoroughly enjoy learning new things. Am a continuous self-educator.