123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default Being an SJ teen

I haven't actually come across that many SJs my age. There's one living on my corridor, an ISFJ and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet (stacked like a brick), but he's one of the few SJs I've met and the only ISFJ I've ever met. Most people my age are EPs and IPs.

However, the OTC (Officer Training Corps) has given me access to a variety of people who could easily be EJs. There's one guy I'm sure is an SJ in my platoon, for example.

As an SJ, whether you're a teen or not, how likely are you to cross paths with another SJ? Who are you most surrounded by?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I haven't actually come across that many SJs my age. There's one living on my corridor, an ISFJ and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet (stacked like a brick), but he's one of the few SJs I've met and the only ISFJ I've ever met. Most people my age are EPs and IPs.
    Just for this point, I've heard that teenagers tend to test as P more often because their judgment isn't fully developed. Hence most of them procrastinate and act out until their brains develop further... so their J comes in later on. There are still differences, but they're less obvious (although some J's show up strongly sooner, like mine.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, there are more Ns among teenagers also. Thing is, IQ has risen quite a lot, and IQ correlates with intuition, and I do think intuition is becoming a more common trait, possibly because of rise in intelligence?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Well, there are more Ns among teenagers also. Thing is, IQ has risen quite a lot, and IQ correlates with intuition, and I do think intuition is becoming a more common trait, possibly because of rise in intelligence?
    Young people tend to be more open-minded, period. They possess a more open-minded, chaotic P mentality. As people mature and have responsibilities, they tend to develop a more closed-minded, orderly J mentality. This is why SJ descriptions tend to sound like old people and SP descriptions sound like impulsive children.

I think, in school, the SJ children are the ones involved in traditional extracurricular activities, such as sports, marching band, cheerleading, etc., while the SP children are more likely to be doing their own thing, possibly forming meeting places outside of a formal setting. The NT and NF children may or may not be in these organizations, depending on J or P preference.

But most of the people I tested (around my age) did, in fact, have an S preference over N. So most people (young or old) still have a preference for concrete thinking.

The correlation with N and IQ is not that high. The majority of the people with high IQs still have an S preference. IQ tests measure ability, the MBTI measures preference. So a person with capable ability for abstract thinking can still be an S because of a preference for concrete thinking. Likewise, a person with limited ability to think abstractly according to the IQ test can still be an N because of a preference for fanciful abstract thinking.

Besides, IQ primarily measures logical ability, which is not abstract per say.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I'm around a lot of Introverts, and tons of NFs...
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

MBTI
    infp

Young people are more open minded, but I think it has to do with learning more than anything else. Young people who's brains have not fully developed learn things much easier than older people, or so I've gathered from talking to older people. For example, a guy who was maybe... 40 onced asked me how long I'd been playing guitar. He said he'd like to learn, but it would be difficult to enter such new concepts because he said he's older and he can't absorb it like he once could. I don't think its a P or J thing, its just congnitive development.

And I don't think its fair to say there must be more N's because we've gotten more intelligent or vice versa. First, IQ measures how well you can do an IQ test, it can't really be trusted as a way to measure the full capacity of one's intellect, its shakey. N is only one aspect of intelligence, its intelligence working in one way. S is just as intelligent, it just works differently.

I think teens are, MBTI wise, more or less the same as adults.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm an ISFJ and a fifteen-year-old (and probably the youngest member here!). Who says you can't be a teen and be a SJ? Anyway, how I found out I was an ISFJ...well... I dunno...one day I just happened to take a quiz (I forgotten what led me to the website. So much for SJ's having good memories. I think I was looking up Jungian theory after reading Princess Diaries or something) And when I saw my result, it SO matched my character! I have no idea why, even though I kept retaking the test, it's still ISFJ for me! And Ezra, I'm the second ISFJ teen you meet! Well, online that is.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Can't there be a simpler explanation?
    I can imagine the characteristics that go with being an SJ are not really appealing to teenagers who are looking for their own unique identity. Hence they may fill out the test with sociably desirable answers.
    Behaviour may vary with age, but I always believed that type does not...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I would argue that there is some sort of iNtuitive bias on many of the MBTI tests- many of the questions are designed to make the iNtutive answers seem better and more desirable for all people.. that is why one of my personal favorite tests to take is the Keirsey Temperament Sorter (questions aren't biased). Many people who test as NF's or NT's are likely SF's and ST's for this reason. As for the J/P dichotomy.. it is just a young person thing.
    I know of some bloody brilliant people who are definitely Sensors.. so you don't have to be an N in order to possess a high IQ.

MBTI
    INTP

In my experience, there are quite a few Guardian teens; they usually just tend to be less overt about their J preference. They're usually the types of people who do things because that's the way their parents have done them, etc. Even if that's not clear, You can usually tell the Artisans as the people with a particular sense of adventure as to how they take on life; usually the people who you can tell aren't Intuitive and aren't clearly Artisans are Guardians.