• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Being an SJ teen

Atomic Fiend

INxJs teens are usually too oblivious to notice that they have it bad. They're all burdened with the full-time job of following dominant Ni.

I disagree. We notice, we just either never cared enough to begin with or got over it once we realized it.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I disagree. We notice, we just either never cared enough to begin with or got over it once we realized it.

Well, I guess it's all about perspective. Many view it as oblivious, though the INxJ usually views what most people consider 'blivious' as not being important.

The point is, save your pity for someone else.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
INxJs teens are usually too oblivious to notice that they have it bad. They're all burdened with the full-time job of following dominant Ni.

I think that only applies to INTJ's.

INFJ's tend to not be as oblivious due to Fe- at least the INFJs I know.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think that only applies to INTJ's.

INFJ's tend to not be as oblivious due to Fe- at least the INFJs I know.

Not quite as oblivious, but still not all there. Fe isn't fully developed as a teen and Ni is still a bitch.

INFJs ain't called ethereal for nothing.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
There are boatloads of SJs who get melancholy with their place in the world/social scheme of life, especially SFJs.

ssrprotege

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I tend to agree with Haphazard. Whether they liked me or not I didn't care. I was happy to be immersed in my world of thoughts. This is not uncommon with Ni or Ti dominance. People with Si are at least more grounded than Ni or Ti-Ne!

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Ugh, stereotypes abound in this thread. N/S isn't about intelligence or open-mindedness. But I don't feel like arguing that point anymore with people.

I teach high school, so I am around teens all day long. I don't really think most teens are quite ready to be typed because they're still individuating. That said, I would say that teens SEEM mostly SP. That's based on my very limited interaction and I don't think it reflects reality. But I don't come across exceptional numbers of kids who are obviously Ns.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Most people my age (high school) are either NT's, or SP..few are SJ's, and very very few are NFs..

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I remember one clear SJ in my high school who pretty much ran the school. He was very mature for his age, wore a shirt and dress slacks every day even though we had no dress code, and was president of the honor society. He was chummy with the principal and the higher-ups and patrolled the hallways putting the underclassmen in line. He hated any kind of disruption or tomfoolery. Wasn't a particularly fun guy.
Ha, this is such a stereotype but it was true. He was an extreme ESTJ, though.

I hated being an SJ teen because I was so much more serious than everyone else, and I couldn't stand the SP fun. I'd be the first one to tell on someone cheating during a test. I was a goody-goody.
SPs think you're a bore, and the NTs and NFs only tolerate you because you work well (SJ band leader/newspaper editor/art club secretary etc). I was very focused on doing well in school and getting good grades. Of course, I didn't fit in.

Don't SP's pretty much dominate high school social scenes? I'm sure they're responsible for lots of high school misery. They drive fashion trends and what's cool to wear, what kind of stuff you should have in your locker.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I remember one clear SJ in my high school who pretty much ran the school. He was very mature for his age, wore a shirt and dress slacks every day even though we had no dress code, and was president of the honor society. He was chummy with the principal and the higher-ups and patrolled the hallways putting the underclassmen in line. He hated any kind of disruption or tomfoolery. Wasn't a particularly fun guy.
Ha, this is such a stereotype but it was true. He was an extreme ESTJ, though.

I hated being an SJ teen because I was so much more serious than everyone else, and I couldn't stand the SP fun. I'd be the first one to tell on someone cheating during a test. I was a goody-goody.
SPs think you're a bore, and the NTs and NFs only tolerate you because you work well (SJ band leader/newspaper editor/art club secretary etc). I was very focused on doing well in school and getting good grades. Of course, I didn't fit in. I seemed much more mature than everyone else.

Don't SP's pretty much dominate high school social scenes? I'm sure they're responsible for lots of high school misery. They drive fashion trends and what's cool to wear, what kind of stuff you should have in your locker.

I went to a private, all-boys prep school for high school, so we were less prone to this sort of social stratification, but I was considered very weird in high school. Of course, I cultivated this persona to an extent, since I intensely disliked most of my schoolmates. The flamboyant, outrageous side of my ESFJ was pretty dominant then. I am fairly sure a lot of the homophobes there thought I was gay, and the more uptight people probably hated my big mouth.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Oh, I think it's more like extroverts dominate the social scene. There's plenty of ES_J's in there. They're the ones who actually care about the social status. The ES_P's are just trying to get drunk/stoned/laid/thrown out of a moving vehicle as many times as possible. ;)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is quite literally true in all respects for a friend of mine.

OH MAN!!!!!!!!!! Definitely not a "scene" for me. Unless I can sit down and laugh my ass off at all of those crazy people! :devil::D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think the SJ crowd is more prone to join student government, NHS... pretty much any student organization with leadership positions involved. I would have been like that, were it not for my unpopularity. (of course, that didn't keep me from running for things... I would have felt bad if I didn't. But no one ever voted for me.) I hung out with the N(erd) crowd, and felt pretty much the exact same way that dnivera did. (you are my kin! bonding moment!):hug:

Last edited:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i think there must be a lot of SJ teens around, you just don't realize they're SJ's. these guys follow norms right? well at a young age, you're probably still trying to establish what a norm is. i had a crush on an ISTJ, so obviously i met one :D. she's your hard working type, studies 6 hours a day, training to be an accountant. how typical is that?