• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Being a ISTJ child?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most of the S's on these boards seem to be on the N border, anyway.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Most of the S's on these boards seem to be on the N border, anyway.

What would be the main things that would distinguish an N from an S?

I haven't learned much about MBTI, I mostly just post in random discussions. :D

G

GirlAmerica

S=5 senses

N=6th sense

basically.......being an S/N borderline I think would be very good.
I get too caught up in the N........and forget to pay attention to the S side of life. S's tend to appreciate the moment.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Hmm. I have a difficult time appreciating the moment. I anticipate the future and sometimes cherish the past, but rarely am I content in the present. Does that make me an N most likely?

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
My ISTJ mom has told me a lot about her childhood.

She was slightly a tomboy because she grew up with two older brothers who picked on her. She had to learn to defend herself. She was also the fastest kid on the block... running barefoot on the gravel alley.

She didn't want to stand out and aspired to be normal. She dressed in whatever fashion was popular and always was clean. She was very obedient. She was daddy's princess and mommy's little helper. She did as much or more of the housework than her mom did, and this made her feel proud. She was average in intelligence, but worked very hard.

She was somewhat social, but not overly so. She belonged to band, and dated a little bit. She would be friends with almost anyone, but didn't have tons of friends. She wouldn't have been friends with the popular kids, but she would have also avoided the bad kids. She was working class and came from the wrong side of the tracks. She might've been slightly bothered by this, but she would've disliked anyone who judged based on this kind of thing.

Deva

MBTI Type
ISTJ
As a child I was quiet, very shy, liked to read a lot and artistic. I enjoyed going out in the woods by myself and watching birds. I liked playing with the other kids in the neighborhood but didn't care for card games, or playing with dolls (except Barbie) mostly dolls scare me. I have had usually two or three good friends at the most at one time. I liked TV-- I always liked science fiction and horror and was a big fan of Star Trek. I liked thinking about what it would be like to be free, to fly away like a bird, because I always felt a sense of imprisonment. I can't really explain that, but I still have that feeling. I wonder if any of the other ISTJ's have this feeling?

ISTJ's actually have quite a lot of imagination and a very complex inner world but they don't let many people see it. They have to be comfortable that they will get a sympathetic reception first. That takes a lot of time. Rejection really crushes them-- but you will likely never see it. If you see me show strong emotion (a rare occurrance) then I feel I am really falling apart.

I feel like my family never understood me. I think my mother tried, but (among other things) she did not get my sense of humor. I still remember once drawing a comic strip and showing it to her. I thought it was funny and one of the best things I had done. She said something to the effect of --"I don't understand it." It crushed me. I don't think I ever drew another comic strip after that.

I was very consciencious and I did whatever I was told at home or at school, even if I did not like it. I have considerable will power. The worst thing was having to do any kind of public speaking in front of a class. It made me sick to my stomach. I had no greater fear. I also hated gym class. I still don't like physical activity. I always made good grades, but not a straight A student.

I have two brothers close to me in age. They used to beat up on me all the time. I also thought it was unfair that I had to do kitchen chores every day while they only had to mow the yard or take the trash out -- but not as a daily chore. Unfairness bothers me to this day.

I hated housework, cleaning my room and setting the table for the evening meal. I thought it was senseless. Some clutter and mess doesn't bother me. I know where to find everything. When I have to be, I can be extremely efficient. I keep lists, but they are in my head. I am generally lazy, but if feel like getting a task done, I will do it as well and efficiently as I can. I will throw myself into a hobby or an interest for long periods of time, then drop them. Years later, will probably come back to it.

I can't think of when I have missed an appointment, and I am nearly always on time, or early.

Now that I am in middle age, I have become less shy, but that is probably the only difference in my personality. Well, that sums it up. Pretty long-winded, thanks for reading this.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I can relate to a lot of your description of yourself, Deva.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I was an interesting child.

- How did you ISTJ's think you were as a child?
Quiet, intelligent, and emotionally distant. I remember mentioning my inner emotions once, and only once to my mother, who ridiculed them, even playfully/jokingly. She will never again hear my inner workings. I have intense rejection/abandonment issues.
I was very "spiritual" for lack of a better word. Not even concerning religion, I enjoyed "magical thinking." Thinking that events around me, not even pertaining to me perhaps, were in direct correlation to my actions. As far as childhoods go, especially for ISTJ's mine was not ideal. I never had a "solid" home to be my base of operations...I was, daily/weekly going to another parents/grandparents house to be looked after.
- How did you react on strange people?
Hmm, my first memory where I reacted to an unknown person I was standing in line with my mom at Taco Bell. I was knee high (about 5-7) and spinning in circles. I reached out to hug my mom's leg, and accidentally hugged this random lady's hairy leg instead...it shocked me so much I still see the event as vivid as I did then. I could tell you exactly what I was wearing, lol. I see traumatic events in third person, mentally.
- What things were you interested in?
Reading everything. I'm told by grandmother (ESFJ) that I read EVERY book in her house. (my uncle had collected a "library" of books when he was a kid...I annihilated it) My grandmother instilled a love for reading early in my life by reading my brother and I to sleep every night we were over at her house.
School was important to me, but I never had to try to do well. I would go to school, listen to the teacher, learn the information instantly then regurgitate it on paper to get the grade. I was focused, but (even still) a major procrastinator. I relate entirely to the last minute big projects mentioned earlier. I was always noted as a great kid/student. Extremely respectful and bright.
I did great in school until I realized that it was all pointless (middle/high school that is) and didn't affect anything in the future. My opinion on college is the same actually, but in order to do what I want in life it is a necessary evil. Unfortunately...
- What were your favourite hobbies?
Video Games were my first primary hobby. Role-playing games and old-school anything. Sega was my hero.
Legos: I loved to build them following the instructions, my brother (ENFP) loved to play with them. He'd inevitably break them, and have me put them back together. We had a good relationship, as far as opposite typed siblings go. I was a master at pulling his strings though.
Television was another hobby I had. I loved Nickelodeon when it still had good shows on. I, now 21, rarely watch television, interestingly enough. I loved to write, as I do now. My inner thoughts go on paper, for none to see. My brother would often get me to play his "games" which involved an in depth story plot and action figure manipulation. His imagination never failed to produce something worth sitting out. :)
Music was another hobby my mother got me in to. We'd be driving somewhere listening to classical music. As a kid, to make it entertaining, she'd get us to think out a scene that could possibly be happening with, for example cartoon characters. Finding humor in music is an amazing experience. I played Baritone Saxophone in high school. Good times.
- Were you serious?
Very much so. I remember myself being very inner-mind oriented. Always a big thinker. The "you should do it this way" mentality has always been around, and very strong.
- Were you persistent?
Dungeons and Dragons Dwarf-style stubbornness, if you know what I mean. If you don't, imagine adamantium plating on my forehead, lol. Still so, if I find that I'm right and you're wrong. I can drill my logically analyzed point into you so much that you begin to doubt your own reasoning.
- How did you react to mess?
Destroyed my inner being. I remember spilling a bowl of spaghetti on the carpet. My mom was calm and unconcerned except that it had to be cleaned...I was having a mental fit. I felt so useless not being able to reverse that event and never let it happen. When I, specifically, cause a mess my eyes roll back in my head and my forehead hurts because of such. When one happens around me, not so much.
- Were you clean child?
No. My room was a mess, nearly all the time. The things I valued the most, however, were always pristine in condition and organization. Same applies now. My room is a mine-field (tacks from hanging comic books.) My comic book collection is categorized, lol. Organization in Chaos.
- Were you disturbed of change?
Absolutely. When my parents divorced...I have a painfully vivid memory of the day mom took us with her away from my dad's house. He was/is a habitual drunkard. We packed up the station-wagon, brought our SNES and took off.
- Did you like to play in big groups of children?
Not really. I had/have some amazingly close friends (Metamorphosis/ByMySword) that I've known since Elementary school or earlier. Groups were never my thing, but I remember "recruiting" people for my group of friends, and being coined the "leader of leaders." I managed to get the people in charge of their own groups in school to be equal to me. I'm no longer the "leader" we are all equals. I never prided myself in being the leader, either.
My best/closest friends right now are: Hexis(ENFP), Metamorphosis(INTJ), ByMySword(INFJ), and disTant_eCHo(INTP)
- How did you react on social pressure?
For a long time, unwittingly. I had no previous experience where anything went well, so I had no clue on how to act. Now I've gone through some psychological therapy, so I know how to handle myself. Confidence and self-esteem I didn't develop until much later in life, i.e. within the last few years.
- Did you go your own way or the way other went?
Loner. Never too concerned with following others whatsoever. I never tried to conform to be accepted.
- + all the other things you remember from your childhood.

My style of humor is very cynical and sarcastic. My best friend being an ENFP, like my brother as well, I have developed a "goofy" style of humor as well to be initiated with that type only. I cannot really explain it. Dry humor and jokes are well accepted in my eyes.

I was obsessive about girls in school, but could never tell them anything either. I was totally girl-shy. I couldn't have a semi-informative conversation with one without mentally doing back flips, lol. I've always had a need to express myself emotionally, but have never had an outlet. Of course now, I have no problem conversing with anyone.

My uncle (I imagine an INTJ) recalls me falling asleep on his chest/lap when I was little. He was not pleased when his first son (ENFP, undoubtedly...) did not do the same, lol.

I was/am very family oriented, as well.

Thanks for the questions, I very much enjoyed answering them.

Dizzy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
As a child I was quiet, very shy, liked to read a lot and artistic. I enjoyed going out in the woods by myself and watching birds. I liked playing with the other kids in the neighborhood but didn't care for card games, or playing with dolls (except Barbie) mostly dolls scare me. I have had usually two or three good friends at the most at one time. I liked TV-- I always liked science fiction and horror and was a big fan of Star Trek. I liked thinking about what it would be like to be free, to fly away like a bird, because I always felt a sense of imprisonment. I can't really explain that, but I still have that feeling. I wonder if any of the other ISTJ's have this feeling?

ISTJ's actually have quite a lot of imagination and a very complex inner world but they don't let many people see it. They have to be comfortable that they will get a sympathetic reception first. That takes a lot of time. Rejection really crushes them-- but you will likely never see it. If you see me show strong emotion (a rare occurrance) then I feel I am really falling apart.

:party2:

I agree on the imagination part. When I could not sleep as a kid I used to watch movies in my head of construction work or my own camping organization. I even made a small console that on the wall and told my parents it was for those movies.

However I am not necessarily respectful or obedient to e.g. teachers or other people in my life. I feel people need to deserve my respect before they will get it. Sometimes when I meet someone who is great he becomes an icon for me, I want to know everything he does and learn it all. Then at the moment when I begin to master their skills my respect for them decreases. I have that a couple of time now with bosses I choose to work for.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I suspect that my son is ISTJ. He is quite small yet and impossible to really be typed but I'm stil interested in the possibility of him being ISTJ.

I may be in the minority here, but being an ISTJ now, I acted like anything but an ISTJ as a kid. I had a very different personality as a kid compared to now.

This all made me wonder:
When I was a kid, I didn't really think much lol. If I did it would be about what fun activity I could do.

Didn't really mind them.

Video games, basketball, hanging out with the family.

Lego's were a big hobby of mine. Except I wouldn't try to build things, I would try to imitate the models that I saw in magazines, I was more of an imitator than a creator.

- Were you serious?
Serious was the opposite of my personality.

- Were you persistent?
Persistent... eh, not really.

lol I didn't care much about messes because it wasn't my responsibility.

- Were you clean child?
I was the one making the messes usually. No, not really clean.

Loved change for the opportunity of a new environment and possibility of fun.

No, didn't really like big groups of children, particularly those I was unfamiliar with.

I usually gave in to be part of the group.

Definitely the way the other went lol.

Loud mouth, hyperactive, frequently got into trouble, both in school and at home. Loved to have fun, friendly, didn't care much about work, very competitive.

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
This all made me wonder:
I was shy as a child and even now. My mom put it in my mind that I woul dbe kidnapped at anytime so I should never talk to strangers. Other than that I learned to read at an early age and was artistically inclined.
run!
playing outside. heman. thundercats. etc.
models
- Were you serious?
I dont really know. I guess so. I am now.
- Were you persistent?
I didnt need to be. Things came to me easily.
Its fine.
- Were you clean child?
No
Didnt really notice it.
I didnt like organized sports, but I did have a large group of nerd/outcast friends that hung together.
Not much for conversation.
I followed the crowd.
I hated my dad for no real reason besides that he was very bossy.
I would be ever so grateful for your answers!! :)
And I know everybody's different but I would think ISTJ's would have some common traits when they were children.

RyanISTJ

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I suspect that my son is ISTJ. He is quite small yet and impossible to really be typed but I'm stil interested in the possibility of him being ISTJ.

This all made me wonder:
- Were you serious?
- Were you persistent?
- Were you clean child?

I would be ever so grateful for your answers!! :)
And I know everybody's different but I would think ISTJ's would have some common traits when they were children.

1) Smart and serious.
2) I treated them with extreme caution.
3) LEGO's, building toys
4) Same as above
5) Yes.
6) Yes.
7) They bothered me. I would always clean them up.
8) Yes, very.
9) Very much.
10) No.
11) Ignored it. I rarely cared about my classmates opinions of me.
12) My own way.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Hello! A little help here:

A quiet kid, serious, emotionally repressed.

I studied them. By watching their whole appearance and gestures and hearing them speak. I loved to study people when I was a kid.

Music and movies.

Writing, thinking, and, organizing the stuff in my room, from toys to my underwear, by colour, shape, size and any other category suitable for the object.

- Were you serious?
Yes.

- Were you persistent?
For sure.

I avoided mess at all costs.

- Were you clean child?
Yes.

Only by radical changes to my everyday routine.

No. I played with a few close friends.

It was depressing at first, but I learnt at a very young age to accept myself (with the help of a therapist), taking into account the opinion of people who cared for me, and ignoring the rest (which makes the awkward "social pressure")

My own way.