• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] istj and work

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Oopsie, Im sorry if what I asked offended you, it's just that I read so much about ISTJs and it usually emphasis a work as something that is important to them, I suppose I misinterpreted an idea of "have to do it" for "want to do it"

But, let me ask this now, do you (or ISTJs) have a difficult time separating work from play? By this, I mean, if you are having "fun" at work, do you feel like you're not working hard enough? Does "work" have to be something unenjoyable?

I do understand that you can "like" what you do, but do you find that you will never look forward to going to work?

I´m not offended at all. You´re just trying to understand an aspect of us, so let´s move on.

I´ve been in unpleasant jobs (call center agent was one of them) at the beginning of my career just because I had to have something written in the "work experience" field of my cv (which is necessary to get better jobs later on), not because I wanted to work there.

Now, I´m in a job which I enjoy, because I work for my Country, in an area of my own expertise. But, I don´t have fun in it. If I want to have fun, I take my friends to an after-office meeting. I don´t go to my workplace looking for fun.

Work always comes before play. I work hard and, after the job is done, I play harder.

Last edited:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Now that I have a full-time job, I'm starting to see how it affects me.

In conversation with friends and family, I do notice that I talk a lot about work and what happens at work, but that's partly because I don't have much of a social life outside of work anyway. It's also because I got lucky enough to get a job doing what I like doing, although it gets kind of repetitive or hectic at times.

As IZthe411 said, I look forward to the weekends now, because work takes up most of my day, so weekends and holidays are the only real time I have for extended relaxation. I can kind of have "fun" at work--nice, fun people there, as well as tasks I often like to do--but it's still fast-paced, lots of activity, not letting me just do what I want. That's what the weekends have come to be for me, a time to slow down.

At work, there are slow periods and fast periods; business varies. Most of the time, I'm fine with light-hearted talk, joking around, casual conversation. We all do that a lot at work. But sometimes the fast-paced periods come by, and it's time to really focus. At times like those, I tend to take everything seriously. My sense of humor hibernates, my sarcasm detector runs out of batteries. It just happens. My mind knows it's time to be serious and task-oriented. Focus!