User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: istj and work

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Pursuing good opportunities is separate from work ethic and performance. Even assuming you do have a chance to jump to a better ship, which isn't always the case, you still have to meet current responsibilities.
    Your responsibilities are under your control though. By this I mean what you consider to be a responsibility is under your control to an extent. My main responsibility is to live my life without harming others. With that in mind I can transform my responsibilities as I see fit. Unless I've signed some sort of contract. But no one forces me to sign any contracts.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Unless I've signed some sort of contract.
    like for example, marriage or a job (aka "work").
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ISFJ

like for example, marriage or a job (aka "work").
    Even so, I don't feel shackled to the contract. I can always quit my job, if things go sour. But I'm very careful BEFORE signing contracts anyway and no one can pressure me to sign them. Certainly no sense of feeling useful to society or anything like that.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Even so, I don't feel shackled to the contract. I can always quit my job, if things go sour. But I'm very careful BEFORE signing contracts anyway and no one can pressure me to sign them. Certainly no sense of feeling useful to society or anything like that.
    You should make sure you are able to meet your responsibilities before you take big steps. e.g. when you have kids that need to be fed, you shouldn't quit a job you're not crazy for until you have good assurance of another job, or another way to provide for the kids
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ISFJ

You should make sure you are able to meet your responsibilities before you take big steps. e.g. when you have kids that need to be fed, you shouldn't quit a job you're not crazy for until you have good assurance of another job, or another way to provide for the kids
    Of course. I won't be unhappy "for the sake" of my kids though. Poor people can be happy too. I'm more inclined to agree with the first part I bolded than the second one. Personally I will only have kids once I've managed to get a job exactly in what I want to work.

MBTI
    LoLz

Or just get another job. Or just hunt and fish for survival. Or any other possible scenario. There is life outside of our indoctrinated format.
    What the hell is your problem? Is it so impossible for you to really understand the internal desires and motivations of an ISTJ that you have to resort to acting as a patronizing fool? It sounds to me like you have become so stuck up on your lifestyle of being an ENFP that you look at even the ISTJs as being too ignorant to see something that you can see so clearly.

Do I value work just because it's work? Fuck no. There's a difference between WORK and PLEASURE. Look up the definitions. However, I value work because I enjoy seeing the result of efforts. If I have to work to make a living, then I have to work to make a living. There's no getting around it.

However, I enjoy work because I like all of the attributes that come with a unified organization: structure, professionalism, goals, standards. I don't like "work." I admire goal-oriented structure. There's a difference. I'm not born ISTJ and think, "OMG I LOVE TO PUNCH INTO WORK."

It's pathetic reading and listening to people's vast misinterpretations of ISTJs. I'll admit to misinterpreting other types, but I won't go around trying to understand them without a genuine interest in learning about their motivations.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    What the hell is your problem? Is it so impossible for you to really understand the internal desires and motivations of an ISTJ that you have to resort to acting as a patronizing fool? It sounds to me like you have become so stuck up on your lifestyle of being an ENFP that you look at even the ISTJs as being too ignorant to see something that you can see so clearly.

Do I value work just because it's work? Fuck no. There's a difference between WORK and PLEASURE. Look up the definitions. However, I value work because I enjoy seeing the result of efforts. If I have to work to make a living, then I have to work to make a living. There's no getting around it.

However, I enjoy work because I like all of the attributes that come with a unified organization: structure, professionalism, goals, standards. I don't like "work." I admire goal-oriented structure. There's a difference. I'm not born ISTJ and think, "OMG I LOVE TO PUNCH INTO WORK."

It's pathetic reading and listening to people's vast misinterpretations of ISTJs. I'll admit to misinterpreting other types, but I won't go around trying to understand them without a genuine interest in learning about their motivations.
    Take a chill pill. I don't know what you are reading into what I said exactly...I never said ISTJs love work any more than others per se. I used the word format to refer to what you called the attributes that come with a unified organization. The structure and what it means is something that I don't see as necessary as your average ISTJ would, and I don't see how that makes me patronizing. And I'm patronizing with everyone, don't feel special :P

MBTI
    LoLz

Take a chill pill. I don't know what you are reading into what I said exactly...I never said ISTJs love work any more than others per se. I used the word format to refer to what you called the attributes that come with a unified organization. The structure and what it means is something that I don't see as necessary as your average ISTJ would, and I don't see how that makes me patronizing. And I'm patronizing with everyone, don't feel special :P
    You can be patronizing without realizing it. It's called ignorance. I don't give a shit about how you choose to act with every person.

However, it's posts like these that piss me off:

Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    Oopsie, Im sorry if what I asked offended you, it's just that I read so much about ISTJs and it usually emphasis a work as something that is important to them, I suppose I misinterpreted an idea of "have to do it" for "want to do it"

But, let me ask this now, do you (or ISTJs) have a difficult time separating work from play? By this, I mean, if you are having "fun" at work, do you feel like you're not working hard enough? Does "work" have to be something unenjoyable?

I do understand that you can "like" what you do, but do you find that you will never look forward to going to work?
    If I'm having fun at work, it doesn't come up as a RED FLAG FOR DANGER. If I'm bored at work, then suddenly start having fun, my internal checklist of what's required of me in terms of tasks and demeanor are still there. If I'm working, and I do something that gets in way of doing my job correctly when the job is a higher priority at the moment, then YES, I will do something about it. Wouldn't everyone?

Telling myself that work never has to be enjoyable is masochism at its finest and just plain stone age thinking. It's MY TIME THAT I AM SPENDING TO WORK. If I can make it enjoyable or find an aspect of it that I like, then I will look forward to that. God, this discussion is so pointless.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    You can be patronizing without realizing it. It's called ignorance. I don't give a shit about how you choose to act with every person.
    I'm sorry ignorance irks you so. I keep forgetting your ISTJ heart of gold. And if you want don't give a shit about how i choose to act with other people, mind your own business and don't take replies directed at someone other than you out of context when you don't even know who I'm talking about.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    what is it about work that ISTJs like?
    in theory, should every ISTJ love working?
    haven't read the responses yet but i don't think they "love" work at all. i think they realize it is what has to be done and think there is no sense complaining about something that just is. it's a responsibility and it serves it's purpose. what else is there to question? it's the means to an end...part of life and all that...they think i will do this to the best of my abilities to get that...and we think i will use the best of my abilities to make work feel like that..
    work first play later vs work= play or something
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison