User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ISTJ humor

MBTI
    ISXJ

Default ISTJ humor

Many people have mentioned ISTJ humor on other threads, and I was just wondering what is so different about ISTJ humor compared to the kind of humor that other types use? I know that our humor has been called "offbeat" in some things I have read, but I was just wondering what "offbeat" entails.

I have encountered people who just completely don't understand my sense of humor at all when I was intentionally making a joke, and I have found people that think I'm hilarious when I am being completely sincere and serious. Then, there exists the very small handful of people that are totally on point with my humor, they get it, appreciate it, and can reciprocate it to keep the joke going. I know ISTJ's are seen as very serious people, but trust me, you get me with the right type of person and all those serious walls come crashing to the ground and I will shamelessly laugh until I'm crying and can't breathe.

I have my own ideas, but I'm kind of curious to see what some of you come up with before I give my imput.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I think I've given an example of my friend's humour before. We tend to have too much fun together; especially when we have our ESFP friend doing the deer in headlights act.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

The ISTJs I've known were very, very dry and sarcastic. I liked it.

MBTI
    INFJ

ISTJ, (my dad) actually, I do agree with them keeping the joke going. He's actually very good at that.

Another thing is breaking the ice. Wonderful and very talented with this nice/handy feature, he always knows how to do it, usually with that certain comment that you cant help but to laugh at. Sometimes the jokes can be crude and...just, wow, but it's still great.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post

I have encountered people who just completely don't understand my sense of humor at all when I was intentionally making a joke, and I have found people that think I'm hilarious when I am being completely sincere and serious. Then, there exists the very small handful of people that are totally on point with my humor, they get it, appreciate it, and can reciprocate it to keep the joke going.
    My husband is an ISTJ and he's often said that people don't 'get him' - when he's playing along they think he's serious, and often when he's serious they think he's being playful or silly. As Mycroft mentioned, ISTJs can be very dry and very sarcastic, I think that is often misunderstood. I know it gets me in trouble a lot.

I suspect that because he can be very serious and businesslike most people don't think he has a silly side - which he does. This is the big hulking guy with the shaved head, goatee and icy blue eyes who gave our cats voices, one of which is very delicate and female with a lisp.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Well said Nat. I think you hit the nail on the head. I know my humor is very dry/sarcastic/witty and is also subtle. It usually includes one-liners that are carefully dropped into conversations. I feel people really need to pay atention in order to catch it. Those that are close to me know what to look for and can discern between sarcasm and sincerity...it's just that those people are few and far between.

Another part of my humor is that there is always a grain of truth and seriousness in my jokes. It's like, "Oh, you know I'm just joking around....but seriously...." It is so easy for me to sarcastically poke fun at people/things. Many of the things that I find funny come from everyday life observations and things I find absurd. Anyway, I love my humor, it's just too bad more people don't get it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I suspect that my son is ISTJ and he really has peculiar sense of humour. I love it.

That made me want to start a thread where you ISTJ's tell what kind of children you were so I could compare it to my son.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have my own ideas, but I'm kind of curious to see what some of you come up with before I give my imput.
    I guess ISTJ's are funny. People pronounce it that way at times, but know it's spelled "input." You actually spelled it the way it sounded. That's the kind of odd, subtle joke I would have expected as well. And it almost spells "impute," which is pronounced differently, highlighting the oddness of having the "e" create such a shift in pronunciation.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Lol...I really wish things were spelled phonetically. Yeah, I do know that it's input....but that just seems wrong to me. Imput seems much better in my mind. I love the fact that I am in school to be an English as a Second Language teacher. Clearly, I do not even have a full grasp on my own native language, and my spelling does leave much to be desired.

Your comment reminded me of a conversation I once had with my INTJ friend. I think I was trying to get him to see my point of view, so I said something like, "I will have you know that I can be very convincive." To which he stops and stares blankly at me and was like, "Convincive? You know that is not a word right?" I simply shrugged and responded, "I don't care...it should be. It makes perfect sense to me, and clearly you understood what I was saying." Since that day I still use "convincive" around him.

But seriously, why can you be submissive, but you can't be convincive?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

But seriously, why can you be submissive, but you can't be convincive?
    It's "convincing," and the reason has to do with how it came in from Latin, not really a good reason at all, since they were originally conjugated similarly in Latin. English is primarily an amalgamation of several Romance languages, Latin, Old German, and Norse. That's why the syntax seems inconsistent.

But I think it's because a "submissive" person has a characteristic tendency to submit while not necessarily doing so, and a "convincing" person actually is in the process of convincing you.

Although I've also heard the word used to describe a characteristic, which I think is incorrect, and this makes it more confusing.

This is probably why Latin was traditionally used as the language of science. It was fairly easy to learn for those who spoke Romance languages derived from it, had a more consistent syntax, and gave the writings a wider audience.