User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Default ISTJ Views on Drug Usage?

I was wondering if this was just me or if this is common for many ISTJs or SJs:

I have always been "against" using drugs. When I was younger, I naively assumed that the majority of people in my high school did not do drugs (including alcohol), and when I realized that the majority DO, I was flabbergasted. I was hurt when my best friend told me that she had drank and partied the night before (although I am more accepting of underage drinking now). At that point, my mantra became that I could not control what other people do and can only control myself. Now, I have a couple of friends in college who do drugs (marijuana, acid), and even if it is only occasional, I cannot be in the same room as them if they are high. It just completely and utterly disgusts me, and I cannot handle when people do not act as they would normally. I've stuck by my previous mantra, and I make sure I myself never use any or am associated with drugs, but I can't seem to stop judging people by their actions.

So do any other ISTJs or SJs in general feel this way? Or could it just be my particular circumstances that conditioned me to be like this?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Two
    Socionics
    ESI

Hmm. I was very naive in high school and was blind to many things people around me did. My friends, for the most part, were very "goody goody". We rarely partied, didn't do drugs, never had sex, etc.
    I may not always have agreed with what people did, but as long as I wasn't pressured into it I was fine doing my own thing.
    When I went off to university I definently opened my eyes to many other things. I was with a guy that was 100% opposed to doing any drugs and made me promise him I wouldn't. After we broke up and I finally got over him, I decided to try something new. Nowadays, I would much rather get high than get drunk, but I still rarely engage in either activity. Last night was the first night in almost half a year that I have gotten drunk and I haven't smoked up for a couple months either.
    I am much more likely to be appalled by people who party and drink and get high all the time. I appreciate moderation.
    "That's life. If nothing else, its life. It's real, and sometimes it fuckin' hurts, but it's sort of all we have."
    -Garden State

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MBTI Enthusiast View Post
    I was hurt when my best friend told me that she had drank and partied the night before
    Uh??

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Uh??
    Well I just naively believed that we were like two peas in a pod, and we had agreed that we would never get drunk or anything. So when she did that I felt betrayed. Obviously, I'm over it now and I accept underage drinking as an ordinary, inevitable thing for most people. Now it's just the other drugs that are concerning and hard for me to deal with.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MBTI Enthusiast View Post
    Well I just naively believed that we were like two peas in a pod, and we had agreed that we would never get drunk or anything.
    Not getting drunk or anything is part of being "two peas in a pod" for you?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Not getting drunk or anything is part of being "two peas in a pod" for you?
    Yes... We appeared to have the same views on drug/alcohol use, among other things. I don't know what you are getting at.

MBTI
    INFJ

I dont think its normal for ISTJs to be really for or against anything its all what you have been exposed to. My roomate is an ISTJ, I am an INFJ we live together and we get along pretty well. He smokes pot with me now and then and he likes it because he thinks it expands his capacity to make connections when we talk about deep stuff when we are high. Like we were talking about how video feeds into the brain today = feeding the internet into our brains down the road wirelessly and how we would evolve as a techno-species into a singular conciousness. He loved talking about that stuff haha.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    ISTx

Your views on alcohol will most likely change as well in time. The way I see it: I don't really care what a person wants to do if they're not interferring with others. I realize laws are in place though and for a reason and I feel like if you're busted in whatever act, you deserve the repercussions.

I don't think I'm an ISTJ, but good on you. Keep it real.

I screwed up a lot when I was younger, but I pretty much hold the same attitude as you now.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my ISTJ used various illicit substances when younger and even sold some as an occupation... he straightened out his life when he hit somewhere around 20 and only rarely drinks even beer now

he grew up in a druggish environment really, so it's not particularly shocking...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett