• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] Ask an ISFJ 1.0!

onceuponatime

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'll take a stab at this, but...

If I do cry while watching a happy movie it's usually because a really moving, emotionally touching scene has just played out. It's kind of embarrassing because men aren't "allowed" to cry during movies and I have to really restrain myself if in the company of people who don't know me very well for fear of being heckled.

The reason why it affects us like it does (and this is just my 2 copper pieces mind you) is because we IxFJs deeply value affection and warmth. It's why we avoid conflict situations and it's why we often require a steady stream of affirmation from our partners: because what we want to feel both toward ourselves and toward others is affection and safety.

:shock:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would an ISFJ let me have a messy lab if I keep the door closed? (more serious than it looks)

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You're too funny Warm! :laugh: :hug:

Okie dokie though, question for my fellow ISFJs: How stereotypical of an ISFJ are you? Do you match the stereotype well or, if not, how much do you think you deviate from it?

:D :hug:

Portrait of an ISFJ

This is pretty accurate except that I'm not all that great with decorating. My sister is ALWAYS after me about "prettying up" my home with decoration so that it is more inviting. *shrugs* Also, I'm a bit messy.

Then there is the whole depression thing. Um, no. I don't get in a funk and feel like I can't do anything right if I don't get positive feedback. Instead, I'll either step up my game or congratulate myself because I know I did a good job.

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Would an ISFJ let me have a messy lab if I keep the door closed? (more serious than it looks)

Ya know, it's kinda strange. In my relationship with an INFP, I was the messy one and he was the OCD guy.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ya know, it's kinda strange. In my relationship with an INFP, I was the messy one and he was the OCD guy.

I can come across OCD when I'm in the act of cleaning, but I'm more messy than most people seem to like.

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I can come across OCD when I'm in the act of cleaning, but I'm more messy than most people seem to like.
Well, he didn't like to clean the house in general, but his things were kept in a certain order and he knew if anyone so much as bumped into something.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're too funny Warm! :laugh: :hug:

Okie dokie though, question for my fellow ISFJs: How stereotypical of an ISFJ are you? Do you match the stereotype well or, if not, how much do you think you deviate from it?

Well, I'm very loyal, sensitive, clingy, predictable, hate conflict, and socially/politically conservative. I'm not regimented, a prude, unadventurous, boring, incapable of having original thoughts/ideas, and inflexible.

fine... I'll give you another question :tongue:

why do IxFJs (my isfj mom and infj sis BOTH do this!) cry at the ends of happy movies? I don't get it... it's happy! you should smile! When I said this I got informed that it's touching... this does not compute :doh:

I do sometimes cry at the end of happy movies. I dunno, I guess I feel moved in a happy way and cry tears of joy. Emotion is emotion and it sometimes overwhelms me.

Yes. I don't have a problem with this at all so long as I never have to go in there. :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
:D :hug:

Portrait of an ISFJ

This is pretty accurate except that I'm not all that great with decorating. My sister is ALWAYS after me about "prettying up" my home with decoration so that it is more inviting. *shrugs* Also, I'm a bit messy.

Then there is the whole depression thing. Um, no. I don't get in a funk and feel like I can't do anything right if I don't get positive feedback. Instead, I'll either step up my game or congratulate myself because I know I did a good job.

Do you think this is true:

SFJs learn best by doing, rather than by reading about something in a book, or applying theory. For this reason, they are not likely to be found in fields which require a lot of conceptual analysis or theory. They value practical application. Traditional methods of higher education, which require a lot of theorizing and abstraction, are likely to be a chore for the ISFJ. The ISFJ learns a task best by being shown its practical application.

?

it seems to me that there's a lot of ISFJs in my classes, and I'm doing a masters in actuarial science, there's quite a lot of theorethical stuff to learn

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

?

it seems to me that there's a lot of ISFJs in my classes, and I'm doing a masters in actuarial science, there's quite a lot of theorethical stuff to learn

Lots of ISFJs like to do Maths and Accounting. I know I do. Probably because it follows patterns.

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
FDG, it is not that I cannot learn through other methods besides doing but that I feel more comfortable with something that I have learned if I am able to see that I can do it. Also, I am a practical person (for the most part), so "practical application" makes a concept or theory more useful to me.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

SFJs learn best by doing, rather than by reading about something in a book, or applying theory. For this reason, they are not likely to be found in fields which require a lot of conceptual analysis or theory. They value practical application. Traditional methods of higher education, which require a lot of theorizing and abstraction, are likely to be a chore for the ISFJ. The ISFJ learns a task best by being shown its practical application.

?

I've found that this is largely true for me. Not to say I'm incapable of learning theoretical stuff and all but largely I "learn by doing" :)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you think of your opposite? There is a nice thread about it on the general forum...

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you think of your opposite? There is a nice thread about it on the general forum...

Do you mean ENTPs?

They seem nice enough, but I've only met a few in my life and they were all men. I wouldn't mind meeting an ENTP female just to see what they were like :yes:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Okay, this probably sounds dumb but I want to add that the ISFJs that study actuary science probably go into a line of work where they can see the impact they are making in a practical way.

I've found that this is largely true for me. Not to say I'm incapable of learning theoretical stuff and all but largely I "learn by doing" :)

It's true for me too. I get antsy with discussing theory and ideas after a while and I need to see some action. that said, I can fend off my anxiety and discuss/study it for a (long) extended periods of time so long as I know that the practical actions will come at the end in order to balance things (i.e. like in the case of studying for years and then working in the field afterwards).

Would you mind providing a link to this?
I don't know about other ISFJs but it can sometimes be daunting answering in those threads that are riddled with N's who are slamming Ss.

Well, I have an ENTP friend who is respectful and doesn't push my boundaries too far and he is the most fun and interesting friend evarrrr! I wub him :wubbie::D He is so funny, silly, zany, not too serious/boring/uptight, thoughtful, intelligent, sociable, open-minded, and just generally an easy personality to be around. I think he likes my personality type so that helps a lot too.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, he didn't like to clean the house in general, but his things were kept in a certain order and he knew if anyone so much as bumped into something.

Ah, my dad.... No, if something moved it's because I was being lazy or "brilliant" (probably lazy) and put it somewhere else. I've actually been working on a system where I put certain things in a certain spot just to make sure I don't lose them, though. It's been a 20 year work in progress that i still mess up now and then; but now I'm, at least, functional in normal life because of it. ^^;;

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram
Do you ISFJs ever work on your assertiveness skills? You know that you can overcome your passive-aggressive behavior?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Would you mind providing a link to this?
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...y-matrices/3287-9-q-s-your-opposite-type.html
I don't know about other ISFJs but it can sometimes be daunting answering in those threads that are riddled with N's who are slamming Ss.
Please come down sometimes :wubbie:. I love to see some practical S approach, especially because I'm a head-in-the-clouds extreme N myself. I do the best I can to avoid S-bashing. If I ever offend you, please let me know.

Well, I have an ENTP friend who is respectful and doesn't push my boundaries too far and he is the most fun and interesting friend evarrrr! I wub him :wubbie::D He is so funny, silly, zany, not too serious/boring/uptight, thoughtful, intelligent, sociable, open-minded, and just generally an easy personality to be around. I think he likes my personality type so that helps a lot too.
Probably that has more to do with being friends :) If you like (or vice versa, don't like) a real person, it's easier to find positive (negative) things to say about his personality type.

onceuponatime

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
9w1
ISFJs,

Do you appear unfriendly and serious to people who don't know you?

Do you take sides, or do you stay pretty neutral?

Two separate questions BTW.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Please come down sometimes :wubbie:.

I will, thank you. :)

ISFJs,

Do you appear unfriendly and serious to people who don't know you?

IRL I get told the opposite by everyone I meet. It's possible that I appear that way online but I don't mean to though. I suck at written expression.

Do you take sides, or do you stay pretty neutral?

If I care then I can't help but to take a side.