• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and driving

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have took this thread from the NT forum :devil:

SJ's like rules :cry: and such.

However when it comes to driving, are you safe and follow all rules of the road or can rules be slightly bent to satisfy your needs?

Had any near misses or wrecked your car??

I'll reply later.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. An SJ woman i know thrives on breaking traffic rules, even to the point of switching her car's plate numbers, in order to hasten the speed of her transportation. She's a very reckless driver too.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Not particularly. I speed and I have a DUI on my record. I DO, however, use the basic safety rules/etiquette on the road, and I am quite good at the skills of highway driving, parallel parking, etc. I let people get out of parking lots, I use my turn signals for every turn and lane change, and I don't eat or or talk on my cell or do anything else distracting that in my car (swigging from a bottle of water and occasional change of the radio station is all that I will do). I used to smoke cigarettes and flick the butts out of the window, too.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think that SJ's should be allowed to drive. :)

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, my license is actually suspended right now. I've totaled my truck before, and I've gotten my share of tickets.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
SJs are pretty aggressive drivers (assuming they've been driving for a long time, they think they're all that), but they do get into accidents when something unexpected happens, ex: the car in front of them breaks suddenly, they don't react fast enough.Then they start flinging mud and start casting blaming everybody.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
SJs are pretty aggressive drivers (assuming they've been driving for a long time, they think they're all that), but they do get into accidents when something unexpected happens, ex: the car in front of them breaks suddenly, they don't react fast enough.Then they start flinging mud and start casting blaming everybody.

Way to project your incorrect assessment on the whole group.

I don't know what happened to my post when the board went down earlier today, but there was a post here earlier that I think Beat made about that pervasive stereotype of SJs.

I don't drive reckless; I don't follow every road rule, turn my signal for each lane change, completely stop at all stop signs, in Philly we live by the late yellow rule, but I will say that I don't do these things if others are around. I don't blast people if they don't exactly follow the rules either, as long as they are not putting others in danger.

Rainne- I don't drive agressively. I give people space, because I hate having to hit my breaks hard if they do suddenly. There are a lot of nutty drivers out there, and I give them their space. I try to let them go ahead of me instead of behind me that way if they do crash into someone it's not me.

The thing that does scare me are texting while driving. I'm guilty of it so I'm not saying I'm truly guilt free. I'm reminded of this nasty email that I got of some guy's tore torso that came out of a wreck. He allegedly was texting while driving.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The only rule that I bend and feel like could or ever should be bent is speeding. Especially on the interstate. Other than that I use my blinkers when changing lanes and making turns, I go when the light turns green and stop when it's red, I stay to the right if I'm going slower, and I expect the same from everyone else. You can't use typology as an excuse to be a total jackass on the road.

Seriously, if the like 3 things I mentioned up there are too difficult for you, you probably need to reevaluate your decision to get behind the wheel of a 4000 lb. machine.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mom was an SJ. She wasn't an agressive driver, but had her own rule for speeding. 7 miles per hour over is all she'd do, and it was her rule. She always followed her rule by driving 7 mph over...no exceptions.

Mom also had an interesting habit of touching up her make-up at highway cruising speeds. :D

Lisa*Lisa

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
SJ's like rules :cry: and such.

However when it comes to driving, are you safe and follow all rules of the road or can rules be slightly bent to satisfy your needs?

I wonder what the responses would be if this question was posed to SJ males only, with the responses divided into two groups: those who are 29 and under and those who are 30 and older. (Since accidental motor vehicle death is highest among young men.) I wonder if there is any significant correlation between testosterone level and how it affects the male SJ mind and/or decision making process?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I wonder what the responses would be if this question was posed to SJ males only, with the responses divided into two groups: those who are 29 and under and those who are 30 and older. (Since accidental motor vehicle death is highest among young men.) I wonder if there is any significant correlation between testosterone level and how it affects the male SJ mind and/or decision making process?

Age and type don't have anything to do with dumb driving decisions by males.

Type doesn't determine how much testosterone you have either.

Lisa*Lisa

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Age and type don't have anything to do with dumb driving decisions by males.

I don't know, I think that age might play a role in driving behavior. Most of the douchebag drivers (And I mean aggressive driving: meaning 90+ MPH races on heavily traveled interstates, passing people on shoulders, *not* failure to use a turn signal) I see are male... young males. Plus insurance premiums are higher for young males and will typically decline as a man ages. (At least that has been true in the case of my dad, husband and brother.)

I thought this was an interesting article: Research on Testosterone Levels And Risk-Taking in Young Men...
When skateboarders attempt tricks, they make a split-second decision about whether to abort the trick or try to land it, based on a mid-air evaluation of the likelihood of success and on the physical costs that failure might bring. It was that moment the researchers sought to examine because it resembles the type of risky decisions that young men make when behind the steering wheel of a car or when in physical confrontations with each other.

Consistent with predictions, the young men took greater risks in the presence of the attractive female even when they knew there was a greater chance that they would crash. Testosterone levels were significantly higher in these men than in the men who were in the presence of another male.

[/pondering]

Type doesn't determine how much testosterone you have either.

Right. I never suggested that it did.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know, I think that age might play a role in driving behavior. Most of the douchebag drivers (And I mean aggressive driving: meaning 90+ MPH races on heavily traveled interstates, passing people on shoulders, *not* failure to use a turn signal) I see are male... young males. Plus insurance premiums are higher for young males and will typically decline as a man ages. (At least that has been true in the case of my dad, husband and brother.)

I thought this was an interesting article: Research on Testosterone Levels And Risk-Taking in Young Men...
When skateboarders attempt tricks, they make a split-second decision about whether to abort the trick or try to land it, based on a mid-air evaluation of the likelihood of success and on the physical costs that failure might bring. It was that moment the researchers sought to examine because it resembles the type of risky decisions that young men make when behind the steering wheel of a car or when in physical confrontations with each other.

Consistent with predictions, the young men took greater risks in the presence of the attractive female even when they knew there was a greater chance that they would crash. Testosterone levels were significantly higher in these men than in the men who were in the presence of another male.

[/pondering]

Right. I never suggested that it did.

You are right when you say age doesn't. I should qualify that. I think it does- but 30 isn't a magic number where it suddenly stops.

But your question here:
I wonder if there is any significant correlation between testosterone level and how it affects the male SJ mind and/or decision making process?

implies that SJ males' testosterone levels and type influence their decisions when they drive. All male's decisions are influenced by high testosterone levels.

Let's just say that SJ males are no more likely to follow or break the rules of driving than any other type- because if the rule makes no sense to the SJ and they feel it's no real immediate consequence to not follow it, they will break it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it depends on whether the SJ thinks it's a priority to drive carefully. I think it is, so I'm generally a reasonable and law-abiding driver. When I make mistakes when I drive, like accidentally pulling in front of someone, I feel really, really bad afterwards.

Chaolioe

MBTI Type
xNxP
Enneagram
I don't think that SJ's should be allowed to drive. :)
I disagree. SJ's should be the only people allowed to drive. Maybe my Ne makes me biased, but SJ's are the only people I trust myself in a vehicle with.
Extroverts more than introverts--- The two ISTJ's I've been in the car with sort of make me feel like I may die.
ESFJ and ESTJ are my favorites though.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I disagree. SJ's should be the only people allowed to drive. Maybe my Ne makes me biased, but SJ's are the only people I trust myself in a vehicle with.
Extroverts more than introverts--- The two ISTJ's I've been in the car with sort of make me feel like I may die.
ESFJ and ESTJ are my favorites though.

It's funny you say that .. My partner trusts me when i drive and i drive like a maniac .. He calls me 'lead foot Sas'

Don't get me wrong sometimes i follow the rules .. Most of the time i don't :devil: Although my response to idiots breaking when there was more than enough room to slip through are very good .. Or i just have excellent brakes on my tank.

I am preparing myself for my stint at Demolition Derby :D

Chaolioe

MBTI Type
xNxP
Enneagram
Yeah. SJ's have great noticing skills and response times. I don't know what exactly it is that scares me about introverts though.
The way the car rolls on the inside maybe. Or that feeling they give you of "I have no idea what I'm doing", but it's obvious when you get out alive they had every idea they needed...
Maybe it's that the ones I've driven with don't seem to understand that the lines are there for a reason and other people breaking or turning does NOT make them some sort of idiot.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah. SJ's have great noticing skills and response times. I don't know what exactly it is that scares me about introverts though.
The way the car rolls on the inside maybe. Or that feeling they give you of "I have no idea what I'm doing", but it's obvious when you get out alive they had every idea they needed...
Maybe it's that the ones I've driven with don't seem to understand that the lines are there for a reason and other people breaking or turning does NOT make them some sort of idiot.

Noticing skills .. No, it's pot luck. Last night i drove to my parents house and was paying attention to the pretty rain drops falling on the window screen. Recently i was driving and had one of those 'Ohhhh' moments, it was like the sky suddenly turned into some serene picture which i'd not seen before. Then i realised i was driving, lol. No accidents so far though :blush:

Chaolioe

MBTI Type
xNxP
Enneagram
I love looking at the sky while I drive. If it helps you understand what I mean by noticing skills, I will explain driving from the POV of an intuit, rather than a sensor.

Driving...driving..pondering..wondering... thinking.. reflecting... OHSHITIMDRIVING. Where am I. Oh... I know where I am... I think. I'll just take this turn, it looks like the correct one. Oh those trees look ominous. And then I start thinking about the trees, etc. Most of the time I speed up and slow down with little to no reason for doing so. I like fast. Often when pondering though I'll end up turtle slow because I relax and forget my foot needs to be on the gas.
I personally hardly notice the serene pictures until my SJ S.O. points them out because he knows it sends me into a little wonder spiral in my mind.

Good job on the no accidents! I've had two. And I'm too young to have had that many.