User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 66

  1. #11
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa*Lisa View Post
    I wonder what the responses would be if this question was posed to SJ males only, with the responses divided into two groups: those who are 29 and under and those who are 30 and older. (Since accidental motor vehicle death is highest among young men.) I wonder if there is any significant correlation between testosterone level and how it affects the male SJ mind and/or decision making process?
    Age and type don't have anything to do with dumb driving decisions by males.

    Type doesn't determine how much testosterone you have either.

  2. #12
    Junior Member Lisa*Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Age and type don't have anything to do with dumb driving decisions by males.
    I don't know, I think that age might play a role in driving behavior. Most of the douchebag drivers (And I mean aggressive driving: meaning 90+ MPH races on heavily traveled interstates, passing people on shoulders, *not* failure to use a turn signal) I see are male... young males. Plus insurance premiums are higher for young males and will typically decline as a man ages. (At least that has been true in the case of my dad, husband and brother.)

    I thought this was an interesting article: Research on Testosterone Levels And Risk-Taking in Young Men...
    When skateboarders attempt tricks, they make a split-second decision about whether to abort the trick or try to land it, based on a mid-air evaluation of the likelihood of success and on the physical costs that failure might bring. It was that moment the researchers sought to examine because it resembles the type of risky decisions that young men make when behind the steering wheel of a car or when in physical confrontations with each other.

    Consistent with predictions, the young men took greater risks in the presence of the attractive female even when they knew there was a greater chance that they would crash. Testosterone levels were significantly higher in these men than in the men who were in the presence of another male.

    [/pondering]

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Type doesn't determine how much testosterone you have either.
    Right. I never suggested that it did.

  3. #13
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa*Lisa View Post
    I don't know, I think that age might play a role in driving behavior. Most of the douchebag drivers (And I mean aggressive driving: meaning 90+ MPH races on heavily traveled interstates, passing people on shoulders, *not* failure to use a turn signal) I see are male... young males. Plus insurance premiums are higher for young males and will typically decline as a man ages. (At least that has been true in the case of my dad, husband and brother.)

    I thought this was an interesting article: Research on Testosterone Levels And Risk-Taking in Young Men...
    When skateboarders attempt tricks, they make a split-second decision about whether to abort the trick or try to land it, based on a mid-air evaluation of the likelihood of success and on the physical costs that failure might bring. It was that moment the researchers sought to examine because it resembles the type of risky decisions that young men make when behind the steering wheel of a car or when in physical confrontations with each other.

    Consistent with predictions, the young men took greater risks in the presence of the attractive female even when they knew there was a greater chance that they would crash. Testosterone levels were significantly higher in these men than in the men who were in the presence of another male.

    [/pondering]



    Right. I never suggested that it did.
    You are right when you say age doesn't. I should qualify that. I think it does- but 30 isn't a magic number where it suddenly stops.

    But your question here:
    I wonder if there is any significant correlation between testosterone level and how it affects the male SJ mind and/or decision making process?
    implies that SJ males' testosterone levels and type influence their decisions when they drive. All male's decisions are influenced by high testosterone levels.

    Let's just say that SJ males are no more likely to follow or break the rules of driving than any other type- because if the rule makes no sense to the SJ and they feel it's no real immediate consequence to not follow it, they will break it.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Age and type don't have anything to do with dumb driving decisions by males.

    Type doesn't determine how much testosterone you have either.
    Google

    :workout:

  5. #15
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,428

    Default

    I think it depends on whether the SJ thinks it's a priority to drive carefully. I think it is, so I'm generally a reasonable and law-abiding driver. When I make mistakes when I drive, like accidentally pulling in front of someone, I feel really, really bad afterwards.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    xNxP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    I don't think that SJ's should be allowed to drive.
    I disagree. SJ's should be the only people allowed to drive. Maybe my Ne makes me biased, but SJ's are the only people I trust myself in a vehicle with.
    Extroverts more than introverts--- The two ISTJ's I've been in the car with sort of make me feel like I may die.
    ESFJ and ESTJ are my favorites though.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaolioe View Post
    I disagree. SJ's should be the only people allowed to drive. Maybe my Ne makes me biased, but SJ's are the only people I trust myself in a vehicle with.
    Extroverts more than introverts--- The two ISTJ's I've been in the car with sort of make me feel like I may die.
    ESFJ and ESTJ are my favorites though.
    It's funny you say that .. My partner trusts me when i drive and i drive like a maniac .. He calls me 'lead foot Sas'

    Don't get me wrong sometimes i follow the rules .. Most of the time i don't Although my response to idiots breaking when there was more than enough room to slip through are very good .. Or i just have excellent brakes on my tank.

    I am preparing myself for my stint at Demolition Derby
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    xNxP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Yeah. SJ's have great noticing skills and response times. I don't know what exactly it is that scares me about introverts though.
    The way the car rolls on the inside maybe. Or that feeling they give you of "I have no idea what I'm doing", but it's obvious when you get out alive they had every idea they needed...
    Maybe it's that the ones I've driven with don't seem to understand that the lines are there for a reason and other people breaking or turning does NOT make them some sort of idiot.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaolioe View Post
    Yeah. SJ's have great noticing skills and response times. I don't know what exactly it is that scares me about introverts though.
    The way the car rolls on the inside maybe. Or that feeling they give you of "I have no idea what I'm doing", but it's obvious when you get out alive they had every idea they needed...
    Maybe it's that the ones I've driven with don't seem to understand that the lines are there for a reason and other people breaking or turning does NOT make them some sort of idiot.
    Noticing skills .. No, it's pot luck. Last night i drove to my parents house and was paying attention to the pretty rain drops falling on the window screen. Recently i was driving and had one of those 'Ohhhh' moments, it was like the sky suddenly turned into some serene picture which i'd not seen before. Then i realised i was driving, lol. No accidents so far though
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    xNxP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    52

    Default

    I love looking at the sky while I drive. If it helps you understand what I mean by noticing skills, I will explain driving from the POV of an intuit, rather than a sensor.

    Driving...driving..pondering..wondering... thinking.. reflecting... OHSHITIMDRIVING. Where am I. Oh... I know where I am... I think. I'll just take this turn, it looks like the correct one. Oh those trees look ominous. And then I start thinking about the trees, etc. Most of the time I speed up and slow down with little to no reason for doing so. I like fast. Often when pondering though I'll end up turtle slow because I relax and forget my foot needs to be on the gas.
    I personally hardly notice the serene pictures until my SJ S.O. points them out because he knows it sends me into a little wonder spiral in my mind.

    Good job on the no accidents! I've had two. And I'm too young to have had that many.

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ's and music
    By wrldisquiethere in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 12:40 PM
  2. [MBTItm] xNxP and driving?
    By BerberElla in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 10:17 AM
  3. [MBTItm] SJ's and ISTJ's in particular, do you...
    By swordpath in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-26-2009, 05:15 PM
  4. [SJ] SJ's and tradition.
    By Athenian200 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 11:12 AM
  5. [SJ] SJ's and cheating
    By GirlAmerica in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO