• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ - how are we perceived

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My INTP friend is very nice and accepting of everyone. Never judges which is what my experience with NPs are. Honestly, everything you've said I WISH I HAD MORE OF. I take life too seriously, I'm a workaholic, too realistic, too judgmental and pretty much anything that makes life a burden rather than an enjoyment. It's really just in my nature as you said... but I am aware of it and how this effects others around me.

That's also the other thing. ISTJs LOVE the stress and the exhaustion all for the sake of our goal. We'd do everything and anything.

that's funny...i was mostly kidding about intps...i find them to be very accepting and nonjudgmental too. :)

and yeah...you guys have a very work first play later approach...but you always seem to keep piling the work on...and...we do the opposite. :smile:

musebreak

MBTI Type
ISTJ
lol... my man is an istj, he's already done his taxes and my taxes, along with doing the office side of about 50 other people's taxes... he said it was less unpleasant than putting up with people's questions all day :doh:

you liked the stereotypes? I'll send you the rest in a bit :)

In your experience, are ISTJ's personable to you? I feel like Is have a hard time meeting Es. For me, most introverts tend to be with introverts since too much people exposure wears them out. It's interesting that you're with an introvert. Is it common to have an I dating an E?

As for the sterotypes, i dont know ANY extroverted people other than my roommmate and I never see him. I just dont know how they work as all my friends are introverts so I couldnt relate to the E sterotypes. Just wonder how you're going to sterotype my friends haha

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sorry i keep replying...i'm feeling chatty...

ime istjs are very social...personal? hmm...i'd say more formal really...
and...i think there are a lot of extraverts and introverts dating each other...you don't know any extroverts? that's crazy! (i mean, except the roommate that you never see)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In your experience, are ISTJ's personable to you? I feel like Is have a hard time meeting Es. For me, most introverts tend to be with introverts since too much people exposure wears them out. It's interesting that you're with an introvert. Is it common to have an I dating an E?

As for the sterotypes, i dont know ANY extroverted people other than my roommmate and I never see him. I just dont know how they work as all my friends are introverts so I couldnt relate to the E sterotypes. Just wonder how you're going to sterotype my friends haha

I love introverts :wubbie:

I also adore extroverts though :laugh:

It's pretty common for introverts and extroverts to end up together, from observation, and for Ps and Js to end up together as well... I like that his strengths are in a part the points I'm most inept with and vice versa. And extroverts really aren't that hard to understand- we just reflect the outside world instead of reflecting the inside world, in a manner of speaking... different senses of self in comparison with the rest of society :)

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
ISTJs usually look at the cup as half empty. When they assess a situation, they look at all the bad stuff that could go wrong, thus never enjoying life for what it is. We are also very serious people (thus the whole looking at life negatively kinda thing). When things go the way ISTJs want, the feeling of excitement and relaxation quickly goes away and becomes filled with "okay what else is wrong with this picture". I've spent many a nights feeling this way myself. I'm not a fan of it. Prevents me from enjoying all that life has to offer.
That perspective can and does have its benefits too though. But yes, there seems to be a fear of being "optimistic" about a situation because the possibility always exist that things may not pan out as intended or imagined. There's difficulty in refocusing or reframing the situation from one that is "negative", everything is exactly as it's immediately perceived.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you're most often seen as independent, hard-working, reliable and boring.

musebreak

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think you're most often seen as independent, hard-working, reliable and boring.

I think you've described most ISTJs :D. I totally agree with you on this one though. However just to point out, how I'm seen and who I really am are two different things. I know how I can seem which is why I make a very conscious effort to not be seen that way. The two limiting factors are my I and J which are very underdeveloped. I tend to be much more mature with N and F so i usually rely on those. Regardless, F is useless in science so I'm pretty much stuck with a dominant N type. I've be really trying to work on developing my P, I hate J types as I am one myself... arg.

On another note, for a P type you're fairly terse :p but that maybe explained by your E

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I still need to read through the thread you referenced. I'm a bit biased thanks to a fantastically awful experience, but i'd prefer to not be. :blush:

I do feel, regardless, that the ISTJ is the polar opposite of an ENFJ. We share one letter in our typing, but it really only determines how we manage the other three. It feels so vastly different.

I think ISTJs are fantastic surface level friends, but the problem with that is ENFJs seek out a lot of depth in their friendships. Both types would have to be in prime condition to not bury each other.

In general, they come off as very "the pace of the world" sort of people, opposed to "the pace of yourself". Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. Just observations. :huh:

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
The Positive: hard working, responsible, meticulous

The Negative: dogmatic, resistant to trying new ideas, lacks creativity