First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I don't think that any of the SJs I know would do something "just because that's the way it's done" without having to know WHY first
    Exactly. :o
    Whenever I meet something new or different, I always ask tons of questions, sometimes driving people up the wall. It's not that I'm not open to change, but because if I don't see any reason behind what I'm doing, I see no point in wasting my time do something at all. If it's a different way of doing something I've been doing all along, I need to be convinced as to its practicality and efficiency if it deals with tasks that requires results, through my own research or through other's explanations.
    Sometimes, I look up solutions (ah, internet, how much I love you...) to everyday problems I encounter and get frustrated about. Like learning Colemak (keyboard configuration) and giving up on Qwerty because I failed to learn how to touch type on it even after years of using it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm addicted to things dealing with life hacks. Whenever there's something new that teaches you a simple way (or at least more efficient) of doing something, I'll go 'oh cool!' and jump right into it if time permits. I'm neither rebelling nor following traditions, I just go for what I think makes most sense to me.
    Philosophy and school of thoughts wise, I do not discredit any as to me, it's just different ways of looking and understanding things. How can anyone be so sure that what they think is 100% 'right' and/or 'true'? I see relativity rather than definite 'quantities' for anything. I guess I enjoy learning how to look at things in many different view points as it means that there's more ways to classify things, etc, pretty much feeding Si's needs?
    I would say that one of the main reasons why older SJs might come across as traditional is because they did not have access to all these information readily available to us, thus not using Si to its fullest potential as there's not enough info to begin with. And well, I do think that habits are hard to kick, no matter which type you are.
    Everyone is unique. ...Just like everyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video Challenge

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...d-society.html

Inspired by sofmarhof's comment, SJ,s please let the TypoC know ways that you fit or don't fit what are deemed traditional roles.
    Since this is the Non-traditional SJ thread, I won't say that I think I fit into a lot of traditional roles. Oh wait, I think I just did say it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I really agree and identify with the "asking why," which is something I'm always doing. To me, "Why?" = "How does that make sense?" Trying to absorb it into what I already know in a spot that fits. If I have to figure out a whole new branch of the "system," it'd better have more than just one stray incident as evidence, because if it doesn't, I'll incline toward the Incident being wrong, not the System.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTj

Instead of saying SJs are traditional, isn't it more precise to say that they have a strong need to follow rules. They appear to be distressed when rules are lacking or when rules are disregarded by others.

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    having the beliefs of a liberal but the tenacity in believing them of an ultra-conservative
    Yup, this is exactly it. Mine also mothers the guy friends and such.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Instead of saying SJs are traditional, isn't it more precise to say that they have a strong need to follow rules. They appear to be distressed when rules are lacking or when rules are disregarded by others.
    It's really more just that they like new information to be related to what they already know. If they're forced to deal with a situation they don't know anything about how to navigate, they get very uncomfortable.

Rules are frequently a convenient way for an SJ to build a knowledge base about how a situation is supposed to work, so that once he gets into that situation he can relate new information to what he already knows about it.

They don't like/follow rules on principle; they just find rules a convenient way to map out a situation before acting on it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    It's really more just that they like new information to be related to what they already know. If they're forced to deal with a situation they don't know anything about how to navigate, they get very uncomfortable.

Rules are frequently a convenient way for an SJ to build a knowledge base about how a situation is supposed to work, so that once he gets into that situation he can relate new information to what he already knows about it.

They don't like/follow rules on principle; they just find rules a convenient way to map out a situation before acting on it.
    Exactly!

brainheart

I'm really starting to seriously consider that my husband is an ISFJ, not the ESFP I thought. I read a really great description of ISFJ in Lenore Thomson's book, Personality Types and it fits him far more than the ESFP description. I think I got so hung up on the Keirsey temperament business and it threw me off.

Sure, my husband has his corporate job, but on the side he owns a skateboard company. He seems so SP in the stereotypical sense- extreme sport dude, indie rock guy, but he is very set in his interests and he is exceedingly responsible. Nothing flakey about him. While I... ah... yeah.

But anyway, dominant introverted sensing makes tons of sense for him- how he is about his collections, how he knows everything about every skate trick, every skater, every song by his favorite band, etc. How he feels the need to rank things.

And then there's the fact that he got all freaky when I didn't want to change my last name when we got married. And how loyal he is. And how Valentine's Day is his favorite day of the year.

He can seem very go with the flow and we have tons of fun together. He isn't rigid or dull in any way.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I'm really starting to seriously consider that my husband is an ISFJ, not the ESFP I thought. I read a really great description of ISFJ in Lenore Thomson's book, Personality Types and it fits him far more than the ESFP description. I think I got so hung up on the Keirsey temperament business and it threw me off.

Sure, my husband has his corporate job, but on the side he owns a skateboard company. He seems so SP in the stereotypical sense- extreme sport dude, indie rock guy, but he is very set in his interests and he is exceedingly responsible. Nothing flakey about him. While I... ah... yeah.

But anyway, dominant introverted sensing makes tons of sense for him- how he is about his collections, how he knows everything about every skate trick, every skater, every song by his favorite band, etc. How he feels the need to rank things.

And then there's the fact that he got all freaky when I didn't want to change my last name when we got married. And how loyal he is. And how Valentine's Day is his favorite day of the year.

He can seem very go with the flow and we have tons of fun together. He isn't rigid or dull in any way.
    Every time I take the MBTI test I test either ESFP or ISFP but I'm certain that I'm ISFJ. I've heard that Lenore Thompson's book is much better than Keirsey's in terms of describing the types more accurately. I know that I don't relate to a few of the stereotypes of SJs that, from what I understand, came from Keirsey's descriptions.

As for your husband, the J/P thing is hard to distinguish sometiems. And many SJ's enjoy playing sports, especially outdoor sports. I just think SJs might be less adventurous when it comes to trying out new things than SP's. Can you determine if he's an introvert or extrovert?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post

+1

It doesn't stop there. If they have the ability and or/authority, they will improve on the subject if they deem it necessary.