• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I know that I am an ISTJ because it's the result I get the most on tests, and when reading the descriptions, the one that fits me closest.

I actually hate the descriptions because they make us sound like rigid robots. I'm sure there are some people who are closer to the stereotypes, but I know some pretty cool ISTJs who don't fit it.

I think the thing that defines us is our attention to detail and the manner in which we do make decisions ( past experience, recommendations of people/things we respect as authority). Combine that with Te and we are likely to work towards things playing out exactly as we see it in our head.

This is an ISTJ at the core. What happens outside of that ranges from person to person.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
You trying to catch me in my LIE, PATCHES???????????????

Well, Ms Sassy Pants,

What I'm saying is we are generally very, very, good with the details, but I know for myself I don't get stuck in the details as much as some guys I work with. They like to dissect everything that we come across, and fail to think does it even matter in the grand scheme of things. I can't bear to operate on that level unles it has some worth.

How you like them apples, PATCHES?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
You trying to catch me in my LIE, PATCHES???????????????

Well, Ms Sassy Pants,

What I'm saying is we are generally very, very, good with the details, but I know for myself I don't get stuck in the details as much as some guys I work with. They like to dissect everything that we come across, and fail to think does it even matter in the grand scheme of things. I can't bear to operate on that level unles it has some worth.

How you like them apples, PATCHES?

Not trying to catch you in a lie. Just curious how you justify defining yourself as an ISTJ if you say yourself that you don't fit the core requirements. It's like saying "A cube must have 6 sides. Oh, and this other thing only has 5 sides but it's a cube anyway."

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that you prefer to focus on very important details and are less concerned with more minute details?

Fair enough. Carry on. I was just curious.

NetJunkie2

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
[ISTj] I know, I know its alot- TRULY IN NEED OF OPINION/ ALL Types helpful

As simple as an ENFP can make it. Please try to oversee the errors. ISTJ's

My bf and I have been on a rough patch from the beginning, 3 years now.
*(Insight- He would never agree to that statement, because he was never unhappy; it was always I with the issues-so to speak)

Always knowing that I have been the more intuitive one, I finally came to the conclusion that my bf, type ISTJ, and I, Enfp, simply do not understand eachother. Yes, a simple conclusion I have always known. Love, 'Natural' Self Consciousness, and criticism, had me thinking it was always because I was unstable emotionally and too analytical. Again Simply Stating. I realized that he wasn't capable of thinking the way I do, seeing things from my perspective, or how I always took it to the "big picture." He is very situational; black and white.

After Breaking Up-Current Situation
He is not willing to "just let go." He feels that it can be worked out, and he admits that he is reserved emotionally. He thinks it is a easy as: "we both want the same things; so let us compromise."

The ENFP that I am still has hope. I love him because he is, in fact, a wonderful person and definitely everything I'm not. I admire that about him. After, researching I realize that is my 'inner' connection with him, that we are opposites. You all have helped me a great deal in understanding him and trying to work around our differences. Example: Me, not take everything so literal. He truly doesn't mean it to be degrading.. it's who he is. (Don't think he is disrespectful, I know he can carry that trait, but he isn't that way with me, fyi.) Just the person I am takes VERY small actions and words 'to heart'.

I've learned MUCH MORE about who WE are in general.

At the same time, I still need/want him to at least understand who I am, ENFP. With being polar opposites it cannot be one without the other. Especially for as sensitive as I am.

So to my point:

I am trying to get him to understand his self and me on a much 'deeper' level. Unfortunately, giving in and dealing with it does not last for an ENFP, believe me, I know. We eventually remain unhappy and get worse. Then things will completely break apart the 'unhealthy' way.. all do to non communication and lack of empathy.

Now I know, It's hard to get an ISTj to be coherently intrigued by Cognitive functions. I did read through a few forums that stated: If some life changing event causes him to re-think that psychology is important, he may look into it. Or if someone of higher, respectable authority suggests for him to research the theory, he may do it.
I understand that if an ISTj finds MBTI useless than he will not see the need to indulge. Therefore, my solution was simple:

Another forum suggested to establish rules and goals with an ISTj.

My first rule, in order for us to even discuss working things out, he needed to research and understand who we are based on the Cognitive Theory Level.
I also followed up with "Even though you may not agree with your entire category the 'ENFP' is in FACT me. I need him to understand me a little bit more for us to move on. I am terrible at explaining myself in ways that he would understand, and I feel like if he reads Q&A, Statistics, Overviews, etc.. that he may begin to see what I am made of, and he may understand that NEITHER of us can change but only adapt and utilize each other's strengths and weaknesses.

I know not overwhelm him with his choices and let him decide what and when they are. I will not suffocate, and quite frankly, this is my last hope. I am to a cynical point in this relationship and will not force him to do anything. He wanted to make it work, so after much talk and research this is what it is.

Do any of you think that this could work? Of course, based off his willingness. But if he is willing, will it work? Will he be able to understand me more?

ISTj's- are you able to understand NF's more, if pyschology is your thing, and you have researched it? Using the tools and references from the theory?

Thank You For ANY INPUT. It WOULD DEFINITELY HELP TO GET THE OPINION OF THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND ALL TYPES. :)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
My first question- How do you know he's an ISTJ? Reading your post, it seems like you can't even get him to talk this stuff.

I enjoy learning about people. I researched MBTI on my own, and introduced it to my ex-girl. She wasn't an NF, but she didn't communicate the same way I did.

Understanding MBTI helps me not get all worked up and crazy if something a girl I perceive is NF says is loopy.

My recent crush is an ENFP. I know my understanding MBTI helps me not to get so worked up if I don't follow everything she's saying, or asking 'how did you make that connection?". I just go with it. It's not how I communicate, but it's not impossible. I do know for me, depending on the day I've had, it can be a challenge to WANT to do it.

It can be a challenge to get your dude to get into typology. You may have to somehow show him the value.

NetJunkie2

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Totally Agree. It is going to be very hard to get him 'into' typology. Especially since he doesn't see the relevance. Another thing- he thinks I am basing decisions off of a 'theory' or what others think. He is very simple in problem solving. Each and every argument is the 'here and now' vs. the reason why we are 'here and now'.

Honestly, each day and each time I try to explain things in a trillion different ways, I get more and more frustrated. When he says he 'understands' I know he doesn't. I feel like it is just to get me to stop talking about it, but then he denies that too. So when I try to 'not' talk about it so much, then Im the one holding back.

Being the ENFP I am at this specific moment, I am exhausted and tired of trying. I will believe we are getting somewhere and then some significant action tells me otherwise.

As far as knowing his MBTI- well I am a STRONG iNtuitive, apart from the stereotypes, I am typically spot on with perception. Especially, when it comes to underlying meanings of human behavior. For example, before I knew anything about MBTI I was able to conclude that it was not specifics in which destroyed our relationship-what he only sees, but the fact that our personalities were completely off, in ways I couldn't explain.

Once researching all of this it was a WONDERFUL tool to use when trying to get him to 'understand' the psychology I am coming from. The more research I did, the more I knew what type he was. Now, after talking to many ISTj's I know he is in Fact one. Its quite amusing. How you all respond and the way you say things allow me to connect that to your personality and his. The difference in him and the ISTj's I have met on here, is the fact that he is very unaware of this 'discovery' you all have made. (Or however you ISTj's would classify it.. maybe his ignorance?)

NetJunkie2

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
P.S. To Not Sound Hypocritical- I am intuitive with behaviors and perceptions- but when it comes to my relationship with him- the hope I have and know is the more 'irrational' ENFP. :) Im glad I know the difference between my rational and irrational ideals.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I figure if 9 out of 10 tests (rough estimate) tell me I'm ISTJ, that I must be...

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
My tests rarely come out ISTJ. I don't trust those tests, and I know I skew my own results by knowing how my answers will impact the end results.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been with my ISTJ for somewhere around 2 years and knew him for a while before that... we've had a HOUSE together for a year now and I STILL keep learning interesting little facts about him that I had previously not known... like learning this evening that he was in an independent film as a child... Is this Human Everlasting Gobstopper behavior a common thing (meaning it takes ages and ages to get to know all about you and go through all of the delicious layers of who you are)... or just some odd introvert trait? :thelook:

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Ok... do ISTJs follow Norms of Society, or Norms of What They Know (Values [Fi], Family, Traditions....)

My question is:

"Are ISTJ the norm of society?"

I dont see it as a matter of following, as much as, they are the source of norms.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I've been with my ISTJ for somewhere around 2 years and knew him for a while before that... we've had a HOUSE together for a year now and I STILL keep learning interesting little facts about him that I had previously not known... like learning this evening that he was in an independent film as a child... Is this Human Everlasting Gobstopper behavior a common thing (meaning it takes ages and ages to get to know all about you and go through all of the delicious layers of who you are)... or just some odd introvert trait? :thelook:

A lot of stuff is hard to come up in even the most off the wall conversation.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have an istj lawyer bud who rang me up in the middle of cooking dinner to say, "blah deblah blah berb lahbalablha", etc., which really put a smile on my face for some reason. Maybe he's learning to follow his own nose, possibly mimicking his other friends, but in any case, good signs tonight.

Sunny Ghost

I have an istj lawyer bud who rang me up in the middle of cooking dinner to say, "blah deblah blah berb lahbalablha", etc., which really put a smile on my face for some reason. Maybe he's learning to follow his own nose, possibly mimicking his other friends, but in any case, good signs tonight.

i've always found ISTJ's to be rather funny people. there are two people that make me laugh like no other: ones and INFJ and the other is an ISTJ. Si/Te combination makes for some great wit and silly humor.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

A mixture of both. I'd say more introverted, though.

It's likely that since there was no other situation or opportunity to divulge that info to you- it hasn't happened until now.

We are tight with the info, I will give you that. Sometimes it's on purpose, but most times it's not.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
My question is:

"Are ISTJ the norm of society?"

I dont see it as a matter of following, as much as, they are the source of norms.

I'd qualify what you have here- Baby boomer ISTJs are the source of norms. A lot of younger, Gen X/Y ISTJs aren't the norm. Maybe they respect it, but in a lot of ways don't outwardly support it.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

Yeah we come around later in life- when we realize we don't have to be so serious all the time, and learn to care less about the little stuff. Well some of us. I know some people who are tightwads for life........

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
i've always found ISTJ's to be rather funny people. there are two people that make me laugh like no other: ones and INFJ and the other is an ISTJ. Si/Te combination makes for some great wit and silly humor.

Some of us are...I think we can take jokes as well as we put them out. I really think the funniness is dependent on the calibration of their Si/Ne.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Others on the job around me seem to find it funny when I point out fallicies of assumptions. I guess they see it as sarcastic humor, but it isn't meant to be.