• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
SJs- how aware are you of your feelings? For example- you are working a job, and you aren't happy, but you don't realize you aren't happy because you aren't in touch with your emotions. You figure it's something that you will work through and will be okay in the end.

Does this sound familiar?

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
It sounds as familiar as the story of my life.

My unhappiness manifests in lack of motivation, when I notice that is when I know that I need to change something (job, studies, boyfriends).

PwnedSandMonster

MBTI Type
IXFJ
Many times I'll realize my feelings, but not talk about them or show them. I prefer to work them out by reflecting, and if they're strong feelings while I'm upset, it means I need to be alone for a while to try to take out my anger in a safe way.

I think that even if I were unhappy at my job or any kind of work, I wouldn't quit because I would feel like I failed at performing the duties of completing whatever task is at hand. It would take something drastic to make me quit a job, I think that it comes from my never wanting to admit failure. To me, that has always been my downfall; getting committed to a job that I don't want to do, but feel I have to do.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I think that even if I were unhappy at my job or any kind of work, I wouldn't quit because I would feel like I failed at performing the duties of completing whatever task is at hand. It would take something drastic to make me quit a job, I think that it comes from my never wanting to admit failure. To me, that has always been my downfall; getting committed to a job that I don't want to do, but feel I have to do.

Been there before. Until I learnt that my mental health cannot be bought by any salary, no matter how good. I had to do nasty jobs, too. And leaving them was no failure to me. It was liberating. I could focus on the things I really like to do.

PwnedSandMonster

MBTI Type
IXFJ
Hmmm, that makes sense. I've been working on learning how to say "no" to things, and I think that will help me be a happier person :)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
SJs- how aware are you of your feelings? For example- you are working a job, and you aren't happy, but you don't realize you aren't happy because you aren't in touch with your emotions. You figure it's something that you will work through and will be okay in the end.

Uhh, because I'm an SJ, I'm a zombie? Wow.

My feelings provide information about my personal state. If I'm not acting on it, there's usually a better reason why than "I'm not in touch with my feelings."

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Uhh, because I'm an SJ, I'm a zombie? Wow.

My feelings provide information about my personal state. If I'm not acting on it, there's usually a better reason why than "I'm not in touch with my feelings."

Not at all Raz.

I mean you don't pay attention to your feelings because you are more motivated by logic, as we are prone to do.

Calm down.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
It sounds as familiar as the story of my life.

My unhappiness manifests in lack of motivation, when I notice that is when I know that I need to change something (job, studies, boyfriends).

:yes:

I've learned this through 2 major events where I didn't realize it until I did some damage. If I would have known, I could have made a decision before a decision was forced on me.

I'm currently experiencing a familiar feeling of lack of motivation, and I know what I have to do- ROLL OUT!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

Yeah seems like we're prone to this behavior as well. Like you are letting people down. But they'll quickly leave us in the lurch if they had the opportunity. I reason that way when my 'duty calls' feelings kick in. It's not needed for almost 75% of matters in life. God and family primarily- everything else doesn't matter.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Been there before. Until I learnt that my mental health cannot be bought by any salary, no matter how good. I had to do nasty jobs, too. And leaving them was no failure to me. It was liberating. I could focus on the things I really like to do.

Congrats to you! I think it's a step towards maturity for an ISTJ. Just move on! It was what it was- keep looking forward.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Not at all Raz.

I mean you don't pay attention to your feelings because you are more motivated by logic, as we are prone to do.

Calm down.

It's a silly allegation. Never in my life have I separated my personal feelings from logic. They go hand in hand. If I have a choice between going out drinking one night with a bunch of friends, getting laid, or staying home studying for a test for a class I care about, and I choose to study, that's not separating feelings from logic. That's going with the decision that matters more to me. Every logical decision I make is based on the fact I find it personally rewarding to make it. People seem to not understand this.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's a silly allegation. Never in my life have I separated my personal feelings from logic. They go hand in hand. If I have a choice between going out drinking one night with a bunch of friends, getting laid, or staying home studying for a test for a class I care about, and I choose to study, that's not separating feelings from logic. That's going with the decision that matters more to me. Every logical decision I make is based on the fact I find it personally rewarding to make it. People seem to not understand this.

That's not what this discussion is about.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
That's not what this discussion is about.

Actually, it is. Read your own posts.

What else are you supposed to get from this than separating emotions from logic? What kind of person doesn't realize that they're unhappy with something? That's not typological, that's a psychological issue. What was the frame of reference for this post, anyway? A single day? The bigger picture in terms of the job?

I'm just frustrated at these posts that equate normal everyday things that are understood at a much more basic psychological level with typological preferences and outlooks. I'm talking about personal awareness, happiness, sadness, friendliness, hobbies, jobs, social skills, etc. These are things that have their own spectrum to measure and are unrelated to types.

I refuse to believe that my ability to comprehend, manage and observe myself is even PARTIALLY dictated by my type.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Actually, it is. Read your own posts.

What else are you supposed to get from this than separating emotions from logic? What kind of person doesn't realize that they're unhappy with something? That's not typological, that's a psychological issue. What was the frame of reference for this post, anyway? A single day? The bigger picture in terms of the job?

I'm just frustrated at these posts that equate normal everyday things that are understood at a much more basic psychological level with typological preferences and outlooks. I'm talking about personal awareness, happiness, sadness, friendliness, hobbies, jobs, social skills, etc. These are things that have their own spectrum to measure and are unrelated to types.

I refuse to believe that my ability to comprehend, manage and observe myself is even PARTIALLY dictated by my type.

Yeah well your spazzing definitely isn't type related.

But that's just like an ISTJ to take an innocent question and assume the worst intent behind it- Inferior Ne at work.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Yeah well your spazzing definitely isn't type related.

But that's just like an ISTJ to take an innocent question and assume the worst intent behind it- Inferior Ne at work.

My problem is people equating things unrelated to type with type, normal everyday actions that are part of being a human being. But, forget it. This discussion is pointless since you are barely taking anything I post seriously.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
All right, I will not stalk that ISFJ, I promise you.

I agree to a certain extent. My Si mind has back button, bookmarks, and favourites.

I always keep my focus on the thing that piqued my interest at that moment, because I rarely, if ever, go off on tangents (I can say that I have AdBlock installed, to keep it in Internet language). My thinking processes are better matched to those of a research work. I first look for information, then store the useful pieces and put them together to understand things better. (Very much like when you copy paragraphs from the websites, and paste them in a new MS Word document.)

Nice to meet you too!

And as for what you wrote- yes that happens to me. It happens pretty frequently, which is why I have to train myself to stay on target. There's nothing worse than that happening in the middle of you doing something important. I don't think this is related to type.

Thanks to both of you. I go off on tangents all the time too, so I suppose this isn't related to type then.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's a question for you all. What do you think are some of the practical differences between Si and Ni? I've always had the idea that they are more similar to each other than either is to Se or Ne. I'd like to know what you all think about that, or if it's just me who sees the similarity.