• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I AM innane! :boohoo:

now I realize I'm not allowed to have fun anymore because someone is frustrated... :dry:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pressed the wrong buttons I guess. :rofl1:

true... funny since I'm not complaining about the type or saying that istjs are all mindless drones... I was just observing a really funny quirk and wondering if anyone else identified! :laugh:

I'm perfectly fine with people making jokes about me! :cheese:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
true... funny since I'm not complaining about the type or saying that istjs are all mindless drones... I was just observing a really funny quirk and wondering if anyone else identified! :laugh:

I'm perfectly fine with people making jokes about me! :cheese:

Who said you weren't allowed to have fun? I never once told you not to do something. I was merely pointing out the ignorance in your reasoning process. See? This is the ignorance about SJs that baffles me. People refuse to stop and understand WHY we control things.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:doh:

you're reading the wrong things into it... whatever, man.

*is amazed by the irony of the situation

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Nah don't take it personal.

I feel raz tho....I could be reading along in a random thread, following a good discussion, and in comes someone who makes some blanket statement of "that's something that ISTJs do". And they are never positive things. I have thick skin, but when you come here to learn and interact at times it can be difficult when people discrediting your abilities due to the way you prefer to process and analyze.

I know for me, I wonder if this is more fun and games for people, or do they really feel this way? Maybe they don't express it verbally to others, but does it influence how they treat someone- their 'type'?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Nah don't take it personal.

I feel raz tho....I could be reading along in a random thread, following a good discussion, and in comes someone who makes some blanket statement of "that's something that ISTJs do". And they are never positive things. I have thick skin, but when you come here to learn and interact at times it can be difficult when people discrediting your abilities due to the way you prefer to process and analyze.

I know for me, I wonder if this is more fun and games for people, or do they really feel this way? Maybe they don't express it verbally to others, but does it influence how they treat someone- their 'type'?

Uhh, people really think that way. People don't like being confined to boxes. They don't like things assumed about them. They don't want people criticizing them. Just live and learn about what to do and what not to do. I say fuck it, and just either get past it with a more interesting personality being a more confident me, or I disregard the idiots.

The social realm is interesting and the sooner you learn to abuse your Te to get what you want in it, the better.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:dry: I was actually wondering the logic behind such behavior because I work with a completely different set of functions and, for instance, find Te to be signifigantly more confusing than Ti... :thelook:

and it's not like istjs are the only ones to get stereotyped around here- just look for any post talking about someone being a drug addict or irresponsible and then look at the type that was put down to describe them :sadbanana:

aerogirl

I'm one of those ENF(X) weirdo people. I seriously wish I had a stronger Te/Ti. I personally dislike being sensitive and hyper aware of the people around me.

Seriously though, props to the people who can naturally utilize the Te/Ti. I personally think that when you are a "Feeler", you can be held back from achieving larger goals because those feelings may try and steal the captain seat from logic. For example, by being fearful of failure, you can be prevented from reaching your highest potential because well.. you are afraid! I would rather not have those kinds of feelings in life thank you very much. Luckily I am an undergrad science major who understands that feelings are just neurotransmitters and hormone derivatives anyways... but that doesn't change the fact that I have a heightened awareness of them within myself and others...

I read once that people who have a stronger Fe develop their full Te potential later in life. That would be amazing. I would enjoy having a healthy balance of both qualities.

And ISTJs are NOT boring, droning people! I think they can be misunderstood sometimes... they are A okay in my book!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Uhh, people really think that way. People don't like being confined to boxes. They don't like things assumed about them. They don't want people criticizing them. Just live and learn about what to do and what not to do. I say fuck it, and just either get past it with a more interesting personality being a more confident me, or I disregard the idiots.

The social realm is interesting and the sooner you learn to abuse your Te to get what you want in it, the better.

Not sure if you understood my question- I was wondering, for example if these N types really look down on ISTJs in their real life, or are they just doing it out of fun and games. Like if they meet somebody, and it's a pretty decent back and forth, but let's say they are able to confirm or deduce that the other person is an S, or STJ, do they automatically put them in the other category? It seems like a lot of people on this forum operate that way- and it will get them nowhere in life.

And what's bolded- I totally feel you man! Most times, (if you are good) people are oblivious they are being subjected to Te. It's a balancing act; You exert it but don't be a prick as you go about it. I'd say you have to have the ability to talk to people, though. Raz, you don't sound like you are extremely introverted. Same here. Si does give you an ability to deal with people (based on experiences- so you gotta be in those situations), so if you are able to demonstrate confidence with that ability, you go it! The challenge of most ISTJs, though, is that they aren't good at the interim stuff. They either can't, or don't want to deal with other people oustide of what's necessary. Then when it's time to make the demands, they assume that for some reason or another people will listen, and if the people don't they try to force it. Like a boss- he may make that 'You do it because I'm the boss' talk :rolleyes: to try to get you to do something, but outside of those commands he's not showing himself to be a true leader. So people aren't going to give him any mind when he's trying to Te others around. INTJs can also be the same way.

Lisa*Lisa

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
What do you ISTJs think about the Enneagram?
Do you consider it less valid, equally valid or more valid than MBTI for illustrating psychological preferences?
Do you know what yours is?
If yes, do you identify strongly with a wing?
If you had to assign a percentage as to how well you feel your Enneagram type describes you, what would it be?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you consider it less valid, equally valid or more valid than MBTI for illustrating psychological preferences?
Do you know what yours is?
If yes, do you identify strongly with a wing?
If you had to assign a percentage as to how well you feel your Enneagram type describes you, what would it be?

That's on my short term to do list, to learn Enneagram.

Not familiar with it at all.

So I'll get back with you once I'm up on it!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Not sure if you understood my question- I was wondering, for example if these N types really look down on ISTJs in their real life, or are they just doing it out of fun and games. Like if they meet somebody, and it's a pretty decent back and forth, but let's say they are able to confirm or deduce that the other person is an S, or STJ, do they automatically put them in the other category? It seems like a lot of people on this forum operate that way- and it will get them nowhere in life.

And what's bolded- I totally feel you man! Most times, (if you are good) people are oblivious they are being subjected to Te. It's a balancing act; You exert it but don't be a prick as you go about it. I'd say you have to have the ability to talk to people, though. Raz, you don't sound like you are extremely introverted. Same here. Si does give you an ability to deal with people (based on experiences- so you gotta be in those situations), so if you are able to demonstrate confidence with that ability, you go it! The challenge of most ISTJs, though, is that they aren't good at the interim stuff. They either can't, or don't want to deal with other people oustide of what's necessary. Then when it's time to make the demands, they assume that for some reason or another people will listen, and if the people don't they try to force it. Like a boss- he may make that 'You do it because I'm the boss' talk :rolleyes: to try to get you to do something, but outside of those commands he's not showing himself to be a true leader. So people aren't going to give him any mind when he's trying to Te others around. INTJs can also be the same way.

I Te others around based on a lack of ability to properly use Fe. I try to gain a general basic understanding of raw human relations, what human beings expect from each other and the attributes they want from each other to establish peace and a deeper understanding. Outside of that, social rules and common decency are things I only follow as a means to an end. A learned Fe rule is something that I use only to cross a gap that Te would've otherwise failed at.

However, a lot of TJs find out early on in their lives, combining Te with learned Fe tactics allows you to accomplish selfish goals. If someone disregards me for my personality, I don't give a fuck unless they had a part to play in something that mattered in my life, and then I'd adjust to allow for something that I wanted to get done that only required a superficial relationship. Just because I'm an ISTJ doesn't mean I'm incapable of having a meaningful relationship, I just desire different things from it.

As for the Enneagram, it might or might not work, but the MBTI works fine enough for me right now. I have no reason to justify learning about it. I haven't spent much time with it.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4

I like the Enneagram. I find it covers the basic emotional world view of a person and goes a long way in explaining how you feel yourself and how you feel the outside world and your basic kind of suffering. Which MBTI doesn't cover. MBTI is more like the details of how you might look to others, how you think and function, etc. But it's limited to the ego personality, while the Ennegram can help you with problems you might still have even when your ego personality is functioning more or less healthily.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Random stuff:
The problem I have with this most of the time is that you can be pretty stuck on something just because of your own tunnel vision. I can be on the outside of a situation and see something else that needs to be fixed that the stubborn ISTJ is doing. Usually, though, I could logically point out why what they're doing is wrong, but I try to limit it because I might end up hurting someone's feelings.
I'm the same way. I almost wish that I hadn't been trained to be a nice person like that, because as an ESTJ, holding in your opinion is THE MOST AWFUL THING EVER :cry:
if I'm really, really mad at someone I tend to break down and cry which is extremely irritating when you'd rather be yelling or hitting something!
:happy2: Holy crap! Are we related?? Plus friggin ONE (+1)!!!!
If you, an ISTJ, saw food that was safe to eat but you just didn't have a clue of what it was, would you:
a) say "I don't know what it is. Therefore, I will eat it and find out."
b) ask for the food to be identified before you will touch it.
c) insist on an ingredient list before you would taste it.
c) say yuck and walk away.
I'm not an ISTJ, but I'll answer anyways and say A. I may not be bold in other areas, but I'm very bold with new food.
what type(s) do you think tend to be more boring, humorless, uptight, and/or predictable than the ISTJ, on average?
I don't think ISTJs are boring at all. However, I think that, as much as I love my INFJ friends (and INFJ mom), sometimes I can get in a zone where I'm like "Yeah, I get it, your life sucks, yadda yadda yadda..." (And yes, I know that sounds horrible, but it can bug me when people relentlessly complain about their lives!) Also, a few of the INTPs I know tend to ramble in a monotone, which makes it hard to concentrate on what they're saying. But I love them anyway :wubbie:
Can someone explain to me why this is? It's like these people are ranting about some "other" that they haven't even encountered and just call anyone they don't like an ESTJ or ISTJ.
+1, big time!

Now, for my questions:
- How do ISTJs flirt, and/or show someone of the opposite sex that they're interested, and/or interact in a more flirtatious way with their SOs?
- From your experience with healthy ESTJs, do you like them? I personally find that the ESTJs I know make excellent pals/buddies, and I relate to them really well, and feel like they're my partners in crime :devil: and I was wondering if you guys sometimes feel the same way :cheese:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
- How do ISTJs flirt, and/or show someone of the opposite sex that they're interested, and/or interact in a more flirtatious way with their SOs?

If I'm interested I'll probaby give you a lot of eye contact, and saying and doing little unnecessary things just to get that person's attention. In my younger days it was kind of awkwards because I never really got the balls to actually say with definition that I liked the person. I let a lot of good opportunities slip away due to that. I don't do it now. I'm a little better with expressing the interest after a little while, but that part is still kind of awkward feeling. I've heard I do fine, and you can't tell I'm nervous, but I sure do feel that way!!!

I put it to you like this...I like Es because their energy energizes me. So when it comes to my SO, if they are giving me some kind of sexual energy, I'm going to respond, even more energetic than they came at me!:devil:

From your experience with healthy ESTJs, do you like them? I personally find that the ESTJs I know make excellent pals/buddies, and I relate to them really well, and feel like they're my partners in crime :devil: and I was wondering if you guys sometimes feel the same way :cheese:

I like ESTJs. - (The healthy ones) I can relate to them- The ones with a sense of humor can hit you with some real good insults (it's the Si baby!!).

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Just read this whole thread. Good stuff, guys. :D

I've always had trouble understanding ISTJs. (Reading up on Socionics for the past few months has explained one reason--the ISTJs I've conflicted with have all valued the exact opposite functions that I do :doh:). However, this thread is brilliant. And I wanna ask stuff.

ISTJs!

Do you get accused of being overly subtle, or overly blunt? If both, when do you get accused of either? I feel like people say both things about ISTJs, except, they seem so opposite.

Do you have trouble separating your opinions from someone else's?
[/mini rant ahead] I ask this, because of the ISTJs I've met (and are confirmed MBTI), I usually get some kind of flack when I say I'm a Writing major. We can be having a lovely discussion on stories and literature, and then I mention I want to go into the publishing/writing field, and BAM. Cue the patronizing lecture on, "Oh, I remember being a freshman and dreaming up stories--you'll never make money that way, but that's a nice thought. Have you considered education instead?" And of course, my first thought is to be insulted at the idea that I haven't looked at this already from a practical view. This INFP may be impractical sometimes, but she's practical when it counts. :(

What first attracted you to your current/most recent/hypothetical SO? If it's personality, please do go into specifics. Anecdotes are welcome. No answer is a silly answer. :cheese:

Describe what would be your living hell. You can make this into a joke, but I'd prefer if you took it seriously.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ

-Saying silly things. :) For example, my girl is a mathematician she told me she wondered what the last number in the pi sequence was, I told her I knew- for there are six slices in a pie. :D:D

-Spontaneous Tickling: I HATE it, yet she does it to me anyway, so I do it right back to her and it goes back and forth and she starts giggling. :laugh:

- Any activity in which I can embarrass her and/or single her out (in a good way)
- Throwing a rogue snowball at her
- Teasing
- Tickling her 'til she falls down and can't stop laughing
- Changing the meaning of what she says into something it clearly does not mean (twisting her words around to mean something silly- see "pie" example above)

I probably forgot some, but that's what came to mind when I saw the question.
What first attracted you to your current/most recent/hypothetical SO?
Physical Characteristics:
She is very pretty- hour glass figure. :)

Non-Physical Characteristics: She is very sweet and she knows how to interact with me- even though I'm an extremely introverted ISTJ. She can get me to do/say some pretty dumb things, which almost no other girl has gotten me to say. :shock: We also have the same interests- more specifically, the environment. :)

I could go more in depth, but that's the gist of it I guess. :unsure:

Sam Spade

MBTI Type
ISTj
- From your experience with healthy ESTJs, do you like them? I personally find that the ESTJs I know make excellent pals/buddies, and I relate to them really well, and feel like they're my partners in crime and I was wondering if you guys sometimes feel the same way

Re: flirting

Internet followed by awkward behavior once we met irl that somehow succeeded. She is an ESTJ.

Re: ESTJs

I really get along well with ESTJs unless they are unintelligent. The best roommate I ever had was an ESTJ and my current best friend/girlfriend is an ESTJ. Both are extremely intelligent. I can relate to both of them really well.