User Tag List

First 1321222324253373 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    How do you know you're ISTJ? What confirmed your type for you, particularly as the OP claims there are so many misconceptions about the ISTJ type (and most of these misconceptions are based on ISTJ type descriptions)?
    In terms of preferred cognitive functions and all that, I'm pretty sure I'm an ISTJ. I have tested as INFP once but I think the test was very weighted on certain kinds of answers, so I think that was wrong.

My personal theory as to why ISTJs are often misunderstood is that 1) we function in a certain way in relation to the external world, e.g. conscientious, dependable, etc. But this is just a working method for dealing with externalities. It's not a reflection of how we're feeling, what we're thinking or who we are on the inside. 2) The introversion: for me personally, how this manifests is that I'm emotionally guarded with people I don't know very well or don't trust. Other types seem to be comfortable exposing themselves even with people they don't know or don't like that much or can at least make the other one feel comfortable even so. I'm not good at that. I can't help it. It's nothing personal. It's just how my emotional system works. With people I love though, I'm very open and emotional and much more free. I'm also more open that I would be normally when I meet people I naturally click with.

So I think the reason why people say ISTJs are boring, emotionally distant, cold, robots, etc. is because they are identifying the ISTJ too much with the outer functioning. Like a uniform, that's not me, it's just my job, and people who know me better are few and far between. This can be irritating for very image-conscious people to deal with.

So when people don't get a certain emotional response that they're maybe normally used to and expect as normal social behaviour, they might assume that the ISTJ is through and through like that. Just blah and predictable. But it's not so simple.

That said, with age and experience I've understood that people don't like to feel objectified, so I have learned to acquire certain social skills for dealing with people I'm not so close to, I just think it's not an ISTJ's natural gift.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Just another ISTJ View Post
    This is a solid suggestion to handle the workplace problem if your boss is really an ISTJ.
    Ah no. It's my partner. He's actually a really very good man with many qualities it's just that there are areas where i just don't know how to get through because i feel very misunderstood. I think i am definately too emotional versus his too rational if that makes sense. I am trying to find compromises but i find that i am much more prepared to compromise. He has difficulties admitting if/when he is wrong/incorrect about anything. We have a lot of strong points so ending the relationship is not what i am after and maybe i should have been more clear that the outcome i want is one of understanding. We actually sat down and wrote down all the things we each wanted to change/compromise with and have come up with (a written) plan. It has started today and so far so good. Any ideas on how to maintain good communication and how to approach difficult subjects/situations with an ISTJ would be much appreciated.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

What do you ISTJs think of these quotes on routine:

“Routine is not organization, any more than paralysis is order.”

“The less routine the more life.”

“So much of our time is spent in preparation, so much in routine, and so much in retrospect, that the amount of each person's genius is confined to a very few hours.”

“As long as habit and routine dictate the pattern of living, new dimensions of the soul will not emerge.”

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    How do you know you're ISTJ? What confirmed your type for you, particularly as the OP claims there are so many misconceptions about the ISTJ type (and most of these misconceptions are based on ISTJ type descriptions)?

Most of the misconceptions are deductions made based on observations of older generations...for example, this:

ISTJs have homes that are neat and they carry out their domestic activities with efficiency and dispatch. They like to eat breakfast at eight, lunch at noon, and dinner at six, no matter what. Holidays and other family affairs are extremely important and become the focus of family life, no expense or inconvenience spared. Family members of other types who fail to fall in step may be subject to considerable grief and guilt. ISTJs' homes and personal appearances tend to reflect their life preferences in general: traditional and probably somewhat austere. You can often spot an ISTJ's home from the outside: the yard is sparse--the few bushes and plants are neat and orderly--the house color is rather subdued, bikes and toys are put away, and the entire presentation can only be described as tasteful but reserved. A place for everything and everything in its place.
    I don't identify with that paragraph.

But I know the primary cognitive functions that an ISTJ would are what I use. I've tested other things, but reading their descriptions don't really best suit who I am.

I know I have tested very low I, and moderate S. I'm heavier on the T & J.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

The thing I don't like about quotes like those (and from before) is that they seem to try to destroy an "absolute" mindset with an opposing but still absolute mindset. Often they rely on exaggeration to prove a point. The point itself, made against an "absolute" assumption (maybe society's assumption), may be a good point to make...so its usefulness lasts about 5 seconds. Not much further to go than the quote itself.

Personally, I agree most with the 4th, and least with the 1st.

I identify as an ISTJ because I identify even less with the other types.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Ah no. It's my partner. He's actually a really very good man with many qualities it's just that there are areas where i just don't know how to get through because i feel very misunderstood. I think i am definately too emotional versus his too rational if that makes sense. I am trying to find compromises but i find that i am much more prepared to compromise. He has difficulties admitting if/when he is wrong/incorrect about anything. We have a lot of strong points so ending the relationship is not what i am after and maybe i should have been more clear that the outcome i want is one of understanding. We actually sat down and wrote down all the things we each wanted to change/compromise with and have come up with (a written) plan. It has started today and so far so good. Any ideas on how to maintain good communication and how to approach difficult subjects/situations with an ISTJ would be much appreciated.
    How old are you both?

Without getting too personal, What are his things that he wants you to change/compromise, and how did he react to your list?

The above advice about directly talking, being straight up, serious, and curbing the emotion filled speech works in relationships too.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    What do you ISTJs think of these quotes on routine:

“Routine is not organization, any more than paralysis is order.”

“The less routine the more life.”

“So much of our time is spent in preparation, so much in routine, and so much in retrospect, that the amount of each person's genius is confined to a very few hours.”

“As long as habit and routine dictate the pattern of living, new dimensions of the soul will not emerge.”
    Dude, you are funny.

But I do know that the fact that I have to work provides some structure for me, and I have kind of built my 'routine' around it. I like to workout before work, for example. So ideally I'd like to be sleep by 10pm, so I can get up at 5. I get up, pack a bag, hit the gym, and then straight to work from there. If I have a day off, while my plan is to go to the gym at some point, I'll hang out later. So I sleep in. I don't usually make it to the gym at all, because I don't have to leave the house to go to work. The only time it works for me is if I get up and go to the gym the same time I'd go if I am working, which means get up despite 4 hours of sleep. Then I can get back to the crib, go back to sleep, or whatever I had planned.

So in summary, there is value in routine. A good routine is necessary for things that are most crucial. It provides structure and guarantees that you will accomplish whatever the goal is. But there's no value in being confined to one. Life/time is too fluid, too changing to live life that way.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    The thing I don't like about quotes like those (and from before) is that they seem to try to destroy an "absolute" mindset with an opposing but still absolute mindset. Often they rely on exaggeration to prove a point. The point itself, made against an "absolute" assumption (maybe society's assumption), may be a good point to make...so its usefulness lasts about 5 seconds. Not much further to go than the quote itself.

Good point man!

There are no absolutes in life.

I bet one of the guys who wrote these must have his coffee before he does anything else. That's routine. His point's already disproved.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    The thing I don't like about quotes like those (and from before) is that they seem to try to destroy an "absolute" mindset with an opposing but still absolute mindset.
    It's not as if quotes are mini-religions. You don't have to interpret them all the way literally, they're not really meant to be. They're just suppose to make you think.

MBTI
    LoLz

I woke up this morning and made a list in my head of like 15 actions around the house to do in order to get done before I left so that I could get myself ready and then things to do before I left for work after my doctor's appointment. I automatically plan things out in my head for efficiency. Do as many things as I can at once or with the shortest time in between tasks. Mostly I do that because it feels good to be efficient and see the end result of that efficiency.