User Tag List

First 12341252 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

To what extent do ISTJs question the validity of rules vs. follow the rules just to maintain peace?

MBTI
    LoLz

ohh I could answer that, but in more detail later. The short answer is whatever is necessary to keep the goal of the situation in mind.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    To what extent do ISTJs question the validity of rules vs. follow the rules just to maintain peace?
    Assuming we are talking about rules surrounding things of substance, and there's no criminal/life or death circumstances involved:

If the rules make sense to the ISTJ and agree they are reasonable, they will follow them. They usually automatically follow rules of authority, if the source is respected and recognized as a capable authority. After all, The rules, in a sense, dictate how things should be done.

If the rule does not make sense, or do not feel right, the ISTJ will figure out why, and until they do, that rule may consume them. They may follow because they have no other option- especially in new situations, since they are unfamiliar with the process. Rarely do they outrightly disobey without any prior knowledge of the situation. As an ISTJ becomes more knowledgeable of and experieced in a situation, they begin to form their own opinions and and conclusions, and the rule is either validated or deemed worthless.

If the ISTJ feels that there's a better 'rule', they'll most likely work to operate their way.

ISTJs will obey rules to keep peace if they don't have the ability to change their situation. Let's say we are talking about a job where the boss is a weenie and has all these stupid rules. The ISTJ, more conservative than most, will obey the rules so that they are not punished or face getting fired. They may be disgruntled, and complain, but that's probably about how far it will go. They are least likely the one to rouse up some kind of revolt or to h in and tell their weenie boss to shove the rules and care less whether they are fired or not.

I know for myself- I'm less likely to follow rules if they make no sense, even if I am not 100% comfortable with the situation. I'm more likely to find out the whys early on to establish some kind of comfort that they make sense. I'm not comfortable with idiotic rules.

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

This is a good thread. Thanks for your answers so far--they really help my understanding.

I've got a bunch of questions for you, but please don't feel obliged to answer them all unless you really want to.

~

What was adolescence like for you? Did you have a rebellious period, and what was it like?

How important was it to you to do well at school (or further studies)?

What is your opinion of people with qualifications such as Doctorate or Masters degrees? Do they automatically gain your respect?

Have you ever lost your temper and exploded emotionally (raising your voice, screaming, crying)? What brought it on?

MBTI
    ISTj

What was adolescence like for you? Did you have a rebellious period, and what was it like?
    It was hell. I moved around a lot and never had any close friends. I eventually came to hate most other teens and only hung out with people who were a few years older than me or were insanely intelligent. I didn't rebel, I just became numb to everything. To a degree, this is still going on since I am only 20. I have 2-3 close friends at my college and am transferring out of it in the fall. I really despise the school and my fellow students because there isn't anyone I can relate to and vice versa. It's a lonely experience I am trying to get out of now before it really fucks me up (it's the school's atmosphere primarily, it's a southern party school...ugh...very ESTP in nature).

How important was it to you to do well at school (or further studies)?
    Very important, though I'm not the best student if the class doesn't challenge me.

What is your opinion of people with qualifications such as Doctorate or Masters degrees? Do they automatically gain your respect?
    On a personal level, no, but I will give more credence to their input on things (such as debates etc) as opposed to a Freshman majoring in Business @ LSU.

Have you ever lost your temper and exploded emotionally (raising your voice, screaming, crying)? What brought it on?
    Yes, but only under extreme stress. For example there was one time where I lost my cool because all these kids were laughing at me after I got hurt (I was 13 or 14 at the time, I remember screaming at them and then crying alone later). I often went into long periods of depression & crying whenever I moved to a new place. Things are much better now except for when I have to leave my girlfriend @ the airport (we are currently long distance but that's going to end very soon, thank God/Wotan/Zeus).
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. It wasn't a game for knights."

MBTI
    ISTJ

Trivial rules, like how to arrange something, it kind of depends. If I feel a trivial rule is making life harder than it should be and something else would work better, then I definitely do agitate to get it changed. I do not like being too pinned down by someone else's version of efficiency (and I try to remember that and not give other people too many frivolous rules). If it's not really onerous then I'll follow it with no problem - it's pretty easy for me to remember lots of little guidelines/rules, too.

If it's not a trivial "put your folder here whenever you put it down," rule then I will probably follow it until I decide it's not ideal, at which point I spend a lot of time thinking about it and come up with an alternative that I think would be better and see if I can get it changed to that. I am not usually trying to get rid of rules altogether, I just want some input.

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    Not much rebellion at all - I got most of it out of my system as a young kid. As far as fighting with my parents, see above re: trivial rules. I really only argued much with one of my parents and usually in a restrained manner - we had differing ideas on a lot of things and their "proper procedure." I'm afraid it was never a dramatic, door slamming, foot stomping, type of thing with me. I never even drank or stayed out too late, too busy on other things, like all my ambitions. *Cue "taking over world" emoticon here.*

Somewhat. It depends on what the degree is in. M.D.s and "hard science" degrees will always get a certain amount of respect and I tend to want to ask a bunch of questions about their field of study. It's interesting to pick people's brains... If it's in a more soft area of science, I waver between thinking "wow, to get an advanced degree takes a ton of work no matter what," and "do they have any common sense about normal life?" Sorry, I know that might step on toes but that is what my reaction tends to be. Anyway, respect given because of a degree doesn't translate to me automatically wanting to take their advice, if that is what you meant.

Raising voice, not really. I get a more controlled voice when I'm mad. Crying, yes, if I'm really, really mad at someone I tend to break down and cry which is extremely irritating when you'd rather be yelling or hitting something! I think a lot of us girls cry sometimes when we're mad, though. The last time I actually lost my temper was because after a long series of stressful events over a period of weeks, someone promised me they'd do something very important to me, they did not, and I found this out when I was hungry and tired. I admit I actually stomped and slammed a door. Not proud of it, but oh well. To me explosions of emotion are pretty scary and I try to control myself well enough not to let it get to that point. It takes a lot to get me mad and I can't think of very many instances in the last few years that came close to exploding.
    Last edited by Amira; 02-15-2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: More clarity
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Plato

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    The more I get into TypoC, the more I see how grossly misunderstood my type is.

In order to help dispel any misunderstandings about the Guardians, please post your questions here, and at the least I'll try to give you an objective, unbiased answer. Being that I'm a 31 year old male, I have some experience to back up what I'm saying, not just speculation. Of course all of the other ISTJs on this board are welcome to share their thoughts and experiences.

Hopefully this is a helpful thread.
    This is a good thread! I can easily see it going on for over 50 pages...

My question is: how long do you have to know someone before you feel that you know them? Would it take a year, minimum? Is it even time-based?

MBTI
    ISTj

how long do you have to know someone before you feel that you know them? Would it take a year, minimum? Is it even time-based?
    With me, it definitely isn't time based. I can't explain it, but with the close friends I've had (mainly an INTP and ESTJ), something just 'clicked' and we hit it off and have been close for years. Some of my best friends I only knew irl for a few months and then they moved but we still talk on MSN etc every day.
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. It wasn't a game for knights."

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne_92 View Post
    This is a good thread! I can easily see it going on for over 50 pages...

My question is: how long do you have to know someone before you feel that you know them? Would it take a year, minimum? Is it even time-based?
    Not time based. I think anyone can agree that you just see certain actions and feel certain things that convince you that you feel the bond.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Ditto to the last two posters, not time based at all. Either they are open to connecting on some level or they aren't and I have discovered that you can know someone for years and years and never know them at all better, really, than when you started.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Plato