User Tag List

First 9101112132161 Last

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    That's how it should be....to give the recipients an opportunity to accomplish the goal within their comforts, and I consciously try to keep that in mind instead of restricting others.
    This is how I naturally see things so its easy for me to pass it on as its what I do and like passing on a natural filter.

ISTJ and ISTP work together pretty well with a slight constant tension. The ISTJ jumps first for a quick fix based on the data sitting on the table while the ISTP digs for the reasons behind it.

I work with an ISTJ and its fun now that I know MBTI to sit and watch as he comes up with solutions after each new piece of data is presented where as I sit and just listen trying to get to reasons behind what someone wants us to do.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Selling thick skins for $50 a piece.
    That's another thing that I think is misrepresented...ISTJs aren't as thick skinned as they appear. I'd say that I do sometimes take things personally that I shouldn't. It's something that I've learned to deal with, and I'm better as I get older, but until I really know a person and know how to differ between them being serious and kidding around, I will wonder how I should take their comments.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    This is how I naturally see things so its easy for me to pass it on as its what I do and like passing on a natural filter.

ISTJ and ISTP work together pretty well with a slight constant tension. The ISTJ jumps first for a quick fix based on the data sitting on the table while the ISTP digs for the reasons behind it.

I work with an ISTJ and its fun now that I know MBTI to sit and watch as he comes up with solutions after each new piece of data is presented where as I sit and just listen trying to get to reasons behind what someone wants us to do.

What kind of work do you do?

The ISTP manager's so laid back.....I asked to work with him for 1st quarter with the hopes that I report to him by mid-year. The ESTJ is a boy scout psycho. He's good at managing the operations (make sure you fill out your time sheets, other stuff's in on time) but is NOT a people leader.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

oh, ISTJ's! u got some esplainin' to do!

MBTI
    STP

What kind of work do you do?

The ISTP manager's so laid back.....I asked to work with him for 1st quarter with the hopes that I report to him by mid-year. The ESTJ is a boy scout psycho. He's good at managing the operations (make sure you fill out your time sheets, other stuff's in on time) but is NOT a people leader.
    Im in programming. I thought about trying to apply for manager, but I cant keep track of things very good. ISTJ seems to be a pretty good middle ground between ESTJ and ISTP. If I was put into that position I would figure out a way, but its getting a position since I dont have the ability or knowledge right now. Its hard to sell yourself on the ability to figure things out.

I used to work for someone that could possibly be an ISTP. Time sheets were a breeze as he didnt care about all the details and I just always put a straight 40 hours worked, he was more focused on the meeting every deadline and results. He would call me in his office, draw out a rough sketch of what he wanted and the idea and who to contact if I had questions and let me go. Right now at my job our time is so micromanaged because its used as a ruler of what we can take on and how well we manage. My previous job was more ask me if I can handle and if I say yes then you can trust me it will get done along with everything else I said, I will handle my own time and can be trusted to produce results. I also had the freedom to come and go as I pleased and the actual time I spent working always fluctuated based on need and I managed that myself.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Im in programming. I thought about trying to apply for manager, but I cant keep track of things very good. ISTJ seems to be a pretty good middle ground between ESTJ and ISTP. If I was put into that position I would figure out a way, but its getting a position since I dont have the ability or knowledge right now. Its hard to sell yourself on the ability to figure things out.

I used to work for someone that could possibly be an ISTP. Time sheets were a breeze as he didnt care about all the details and I just always put a straight 40 hours worked, he was more focused on the meeting every deadline and results. He would call me in his office, draw out a rough sketch of what he wanted and the idea and who to contact if I had questions and let me go. Right now at my job our time is so micromanaged because its used as a ruler of what we can take on and how well we manage. My previous job was more ask me if I can handle and if I say yes then you can trust me it will get done along with everything else I said, I will handle my own time and can be trusted to produce results. I also had the freedom to come and go as I pleased and the actual time I spent working always fluctuated based on need and I managed that myself.
    I need the flexibility to work at my own hours. I pretty much spend the first part of the day taking care of personal stuff, and then I'll finish strong towards the end of the day. Since I have a laptop I can take it home and I can reply and send emails as I sit on the couch, watching TV or whatever. I like that aspect.

We are managed to budget, which doesn't make sense, since we are salaried and we are not working for external clients. In Public Accounting, blowing a budget means hitting the pockets of the Partner, and that isn't cool. Again, the ESTJ is told that making the budget is what's important, so that's all his concern is. He said in so many words he'd like to do a quality job, and train his people, but since the powers that be said come in on budget, that's his focus, and he's going to make it, at all costs.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    oh, ISTJ's! u got some esplainin' to do!

Bring it!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Alright, so in the type world, ISTJs get the reputation for being the most boring, humorless, uptight, and predictable type out of the 16.

So my question for ISTJs is, assuming you disagree, what type(s) do you think tend to be more boring, humorless, uptight, and/or predictable than the ISTJ, on average?

I better not get a predictable answer!

MBTI
    STP

I need the flexibility to work at my own hours. I pretty much spend the first part of the day taking care of personal stuff, and then I'll finish strong towards the end of the day. Since I have a laptop I can take it home and I can reply and send emails as I sit on the couch, watching TV or whatever. I like that aspect.

We are managed to budget, which doesn't make sense, since we are salaried and we are not working for external clients. In Public Accounting, blowing a budget means hitting the pockets of the Partner, and that isn't cool. Again, the ESTJ is told that making the budget is what's important, so that's all his concern is. He said in so many words he'd like to do a quality job, and train his people, but since the powers that be said come in on budget, that's his focus, and he's going to make it, at all costs.
    Thats what I dont get also about salaried employees. You pay me to do XYZ not for how much I work. I do work for external clients which makes sense in regards to deadlines, but not micromanaging my hours worked. To me if you stick to deadline and hit it then you will never be overbudget because of salary.

Its like this recent project we were over hours from what we estimated and said and it was handled by working over 40 hour work weeks, but that has nothing to do with budget as we are salaried and the hours are estimates anyway so they arent even accurate nor do they have anything to do with our budget, but it makes it look like we cant manage our budget because of hours when you run calculations so what happens, we have to keep even better track of our hours and over estimate things so we can "look" better.

As a manager you should trust when a person is over worked and recognize it and work to distribute it across the board by cross training. If you focus on deadline though the budget will work because of salaries. Sometimes you have to understand the leverage and all aspects and use it to your advantage in letting go of part of what you manage and let those areas manage itself focussing on what actually matters.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Alright, so in the type world, ISTJs get the reputation for being the most boring, humorless, uptight, and predictable type out of the 16.

So my question for ISTJs is, assuming you disagree, what type(s) do you think tend to be more boring, humorless, uptight, and/or predictable than the ISTJ, on average?

I better not get a predictable answer!

Uptight is subjective. I tend to think of feelers as being uptight. I get bored quickly by social rules dictated by FJs and I hate having my words prodded on by FPs. I have to censor myself around feelers, and it makes them boring.