User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default SJ's: how do you use Ne?

Some examples would be interesting....I've seen it happen as an auxiliary function with SJ's when they socialize, but not really what happens when it comes to the fore in times of stress. Despite many SJ's in my family I can't really identify when I've seen such a thing happen...

So anyway, how do you use this function both day to day and in times of stress.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFP

I have an ESFJ friend, and she's fairly sarcastic and witty. And she gets my sarcasm and wit. She doesn't make insane Ne connections like I do, though. But her Ne lets her lighten up a bit.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

When I have to get something done with very little guidance, time or resources, and when there is no pre-established norm to follow, often my Ne takes control. Which is why I dress so much more stylishly/creatively when it's laundry day, and why I've done so many bizarre craft projects (inspired by the thought "I need something to do with this... Let's check out craft websites and find instructions for something fun!"). As the saying goes: Necessity is the mother of invention.

Also, when I'm really, really hyper, or just in a particularly jovial mood, I have moments of almost ENTP-esque randomness, usually beginning "Wouldn't it be cool if...?"
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Oh man. my ISTJ friend absolutely hates any Ne at all. He gets visibly agitated and frustrated when anybody starts exploring what he considers to be irrelevant. I often wish he'd be more open to ideas, perspectives and learning for it's own sake, but he'll have none of it. I do respect him though because he really knows how to get things done.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    Oh man. my ISTJ friend absolutely hates any Ne at all. He gets visibly agitated and frustrated when anybody starts exploring what he considers to be irrelevant. I often wish he'd be more open to ideas, perspectives and learning for it's own sake, but he'll have none of it. I do respect him though because he really knows how to get things done.
    I know an ISTJ who is the same way in that regard.

Keep in mind that as ENTP, you probably feel just as annoyed by Si as he does by Ne. I know personally that when somebody refuses to try something new because there's no "practical" need for it, I find myself screaming inside "BUT IT WILL BE FUN, COME ON! WHAT ABOUT EXPLORATION" Or when someone focuses on the nitty-gritty details of something, rather than the big picture, I'm just like "Ok....can we move on, now? I get it, and this is really boring..." Your ISTJ friend probably wishes that you, as an ENTP, weren't so random, spontaneous, disorganized, and unfocused, just as you wish that he'd be more open to "learning for its own sake." Anyway, just something to think about.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    Yup... I hate when I am forced to use it! Only when I am coming up with a strategy or something useful will I take pleasure in using it. It's more of a backup if my senses fail...
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Sometimes they use it to imagine all the awful things that could potentially go wrong in order to back up Si's trepidation at trying something risky or uncertain.

Si: We don't really have any experience with this or knowledge of how it works...

Te/Fe: So we'd better not risk it for now--we need a better plan before taking action in order to get the most effective result.

Ne: Yeah, who knows what might happen? We could be eaten by a pack of starving bears, or abducted by purple aliens from Jupiter, or...

I see this from Hank Hill (consummate ISTJ) all the time.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    It's more of a backup if my senses fail...
    Actually, that's true for me too. Forgot about that. It's like how when you're running a really long ways, it'll be hell for a little while and then everything eases off and you're home free. Except it's with ideas and such. Happens to me pretty much every time I write a paper. There's a 10 minute or so long period when I'm going "God, I hate this. I can't come up with ANYTHING. I have no direction, no interest..." and then POW! There comes Ne.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP

For my husband, Ne comes up whenever he hasn't got to be serious and keep up his reliable down-to-earth image. That is, when he's among friends. It seems to me that he also uses it as a sort of safety valve. It comes up very strongly but in short bouts. In such a state, he can beat my Ne easily!
    But I can use it longer. Well, I can't stop using it, that's more the description...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Sometimes they use it to imagine all the awful things that could potentially go wrong in order to back up Si's trepidation at trying something risky or uncertain.

Si: We don't really have any experience with this or knowledge of how it works...

Te/Fe: So we'd better not risk it for now--we need a better plan before taking action in order to get the most effective result.

Ne: Yeah, who knows what might happen? We could be eaten by a pack of starving bears, or abducted by purple aliens from Jupiter, or...

I see this from Hank Hill (consummate ISTJ) all the time.
    This can be true of me. However, on the flip side, imagining the worst-case scenario can help when I DO choose to take the risk...it allows me to be prepared for things that might happen. Sometimes they do happen, and I'm prepared for it.

I'd also say it comes out in my sense of humor. Like another poster mentioned, I can be very sarcastic and witty. I can also be very random with my humor.

It gives me creativity in projects I do (graphic design work, decorating my home, etc).

It gives me an enjoyment for whimsical things.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg