• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Si when listening to New Music

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Does Si get in the way of enjoying new music from a familiar or established artist?

I find that for most of my faves, since their new material isn't like their older stuff, that I have a hard time warming up to it. Initially I say I don't like it, but after I get over that initial feeling, I end up loving it.

Anybody have this experience?

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sort of.

I used to be that way, for example, when Nightwish changed their lead vocalist, it took me a while to get used to her. But I like her just as much now, but instead of comparing her to the other, I look at her as something else altogether. Had they changed the keyboard guy though, I might have had heart failure. ; )

Music, for me, is mostly connected to memories, rather than affected by them. If something emotionally distressing occurs, or something that is simply important, if music is playing then the two things are forever tied together in my mind. I hate that bubble-gummy Gavin DeGraw stuff, but my sister used to play it while I was playing Lost Odyssey (RPG game) and now, whenever I hear/see one, I can hear/see the other in my head. It's quite annoying, really.

I've been listening to my "style" of music for so long now, that I pretty much know what I do and do not like. Perhaps this is why I think of things in different categories rather than deviations from the originals. I am a musician, so I tend to think of things in terms of instrumentation or overall musical style, not necessarily the band or song as a whole. I "break it down".

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Does Si get in the way of enjoying new music from a familiar or established artist?

I find that for most of my faves, since their new material isn't like their older stuff, that I have a hard time warming up to it. Initially I say I don't like it, but after I get over that initial feeling, I end up loving it.

Yeah, I have this exact same thing - when I hear a new song, I'll usually not like it at first, but then it grows on me (if it's a good song).

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ

YES!

But my typical issue is that I endlessly analyze everything (being a music engineer I have to use critical listening to pick out details about songs). My annoyance at this habit usually far overrides any qualms about different music from the same artist. But that can be annoying. For example, I loved the depth and lyrical content of old Mudvayne, but I can't listen to the new stuff at all. Their first album was a concept album about using drugs to take charge of our evolutionary path in order to gain new levels of consciousness. Very Ni. And I loved it! But now the lyrical content of all their stuff seems to have the typical Se "don't fuck with me" vibe that is all too familiar on the radio :(

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
Generally, no. That isn't to say that it doesn't happen though. Overall, I'm pretty open to hearing new music or approaches to it from artists I'm familiar with.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

I think it will if it's your shadow function but if it's your modes operendi it may deepen your appreciation.

Slate

Not really,

First I like lyric heavy pieces, analyzing their meaning or reference is fun, about half the songs I listen too reference some book/character/history (real or fictional), some songs I listen too are of course less intricate. After that though its about the flow from the song, in which heavy repetition is performed to get to know the song inside and out to learn the highs and lows. So if presented with a new piece my focus will be entirely on absorbing it

After the initial introduction of new pieces, whether I continue listening to it or not is entirely dependent on whether I can attach a mental arc to the song.

So the big between new vs repetitive/familiar music, is that with familiar music I "see" a story / image play out, while not related to the direct subject, it might use some of the conflicts or general idea behind the song, which takes quite a few repetitions before can I develop an mental arc for a song. Its very powerful to the point where it can overlay reality if I consciously let it.

Songs which I can't develop such an arc, I usually don't listen to as much, it just becomes background noise at that point.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If I'm familiar with the genre, my first impression is likely to be a lasting impression. If I'm not familiar with the style, I'll be more uncertain.

I sometimes feel an initial rush of inspiration and dreaming the first time I listen to an especially powerful new song.

Sil

This is a test.

Not that I'm aware of.

Sometimes, especially if their prior music gives a very distinct impression I enjoy. For the most part, though, I'm willing to try new music and see where it takes me. What matters most is that is has an emotional/visual journey to it. If it doesn't, I can't listen to it.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It takes me more than one listen to decide whether I like a song or not. I'm almost never sure at first. Also, the more frequently I listen to the song, the more I like it--probably because I'm building up nostalgia value with it or something.

And yes, I do find myself to be prone to disliking new music that my favorite artists release--or at least not liking it as much as older stuff. That's not always the case, though. It usually happens when I get attached to an artist's style and then it changes and become different and I find myself missing older stuff. But that doesn't automatically mean I'll hate the new stuff, either. Ayumi Hamasaki? I liked her early-2000s stuff more than her current stuff, by far. Perfume? They only become better and better with each passing year.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll have to agree with 21lux. New songs don't interest me that much, and I'll usually look up songs that I've heard my sister play or something. I guess that's why I like songs from anime since I've already heard it before.

I actually listen to many different genre's and artists, and I don't usually mind when artists change styles. Though there is one Vocaloid artist whose new stuff sucks. It's a shame really.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a lot like this.
For instance:
I have been a Taylor Swift fan since 2007, and when she originally released We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together as a single for RED, I was very upset about it and almost didn't buy the album. But I ended up liking most of it. Similar happened with 1989, though I still prefer the older stuff...
I like hearing musicians stay consistent.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
No, not really. Newness/oldness of a song is not a thing for me.

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an entitled little impatient bitch with music. If it doesn't strike immediatelly I usually don't bother with a track. Unless it's a favourite artist who I know put work into it

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Songs often grow on me after a few listens, yet I have very little Si. I used to be much more stubborn and closed-minded when it came to new music and have put in conscious effort to be less snap-judgy. Perhaps there is a connection though, for some.

Gone

Theres this one band that released 3 albums with a very consistent style which was fine with me because I like their style a lot. Then, album 4, they experimented. I was thrilled. Lots of new shiny stuff. I had a few WTF moments but these aren't necessarily bad. I love almost everything about this album. With album 5, they returned to their original style, and it just... feels like home.
It's often like that. So yeah... not really. I like new stuff, I like change, I like experiments... but I really, really like familiarity, too.

I have more problems warming up to cover versions of songs. But there are a handful that are actually better than the originals in my eyes (unpopular opiniooooons)