User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Si when listening to New Music

Does Si get in the way of enjoying new music from a familiar or established artist?

I find that for most of my faves, since their new material isn't like their older stuff, that I have a hard time warming up to it. Initially I say I don't like it, but after I get over that initial feeling, I end up loving it.

Anybody have this experience?
    Likes GarrotTheThief, JazzyLarsen liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

Sort of.

I used to be that way, for example, when Nightwish changed their lead vocalist, it took me a while to get used to her. But I like her just as much now, but instead of comparing her to the other, I look at her as something else altogether. Had they changed the keyboard guy though, I might have had heart failure. ; )

Music, for me, is mostly connected to memories, rather than affected by them. If something emotionally distressing occurs, or something that is simply important, if music is playing then the two things are forever tied together in my mind. I hate that bubble-gummy Gavin DeGraw stuff, but my sister used to play it while I was playing Lost Odyssey (RPG game) and now, whenever I hear/see one, I can hear/see the other in my head. It's quite annoying, really.

I've been listening to my "style" of music for so long now, that I pretty much know what I do and do not like. Perhaps this is why I think of things in different categories rather than deviations from the originals. I am a musician, so I tend to think of things in terms of instrumentation or overall musical style, not necessarily the band or song as a whole. I "break it down".

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Does Si get in the way of enjoying new music from a familiar or established artist?

I find that for most of my faves, since their new material isn't like their older stuff, that I have a hard time warming up to it. Initially I say I don't like it, but after I get over that initial feeling, I end up loving it.

Yeah, I have this exact same thing - when I hear a new song, I'll usually not like it at first, but then it grows on me (if it's a good song).
    Johari
    Nohari
    Likes GarrotTheThief, Retsu liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ

YES!

But my typical issue is that I endlessly analyze everything (being a music engineer I have to use critical listening to pick out details about songs). My annoyance at this habit usually far overrides any qualms about different music from the same artist. But that can be annoying. For example, I loved the depth and lyrical content of old Mudvayne, but I can't listen to the new stuff at all. Their first album was a concept album about using drugs to take charge of our evolutionary path in order to gain new levels of consciousness. Very Ni. And I loved it! But now the lyrical content of all their stuff seems to have the typical Se "don't fuck with me" vibe that is all too familiar on the radio

Senior Member Just another ISTJ's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTP

Generally, no. That isn't to say that it doesn't happen though. Overall, I'm pretty open to hearing new music or approaches to it from artists I'm familiar with.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I think it will if it's your shadow function but if it's your modes operendi it may deepen your appreciation.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Not really,

First I like lyric heavy pieces, analyzing their meaning or reference is fun, about half the songs I listen too reference some book/character/history (real or fictional), some songs I listen too are of course less intricate. After that though its about the flow from the song, in which heavy repetition is performed to get to know the song inside and out to learn the highs and lows. So if presented with a new piece my focus will be entirely on absorbing it

After the initial introduction of new pieces, whether I continue listening to it or not is entirely dependent on whether I can attach a mental arc to the song.

So the big between new vs repetitive/familiar music, is that with familiar music I "see" a story / image play out, while not related to the direct subject, it might use some of the conflicts or general idea behind the song, which takes quite a few repetitions before can I develop an mental arc for a song. Its very powerful to the point where it can overlay reality if I consciously let it.

Songs which I can't develop such an arc, I usually don't listen to as much, it just becomes background noise at that point.

MBTI
    INFJ

If I'm familiar with the genre, my first impression is likely to be a lasting impression. If I'm not familiar with the style, I'll be more uncertain.

I sometimes feel an initial rush of inspiration and dreaming the first time I listen to an especially powerful new song.

Not that I'm aware of.

Sometimes, especially if their prior music gives a very distinct impression I enjoy. For the most part, though, I'm willing to try new music and see where it takes me. What matters most is that is has an emotional/visual journey to it. If it doesn't, I can't listen to it.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

It takes me more than one listen to decide whether I like a song or not. I'm almost never sure at first. Also, the more frequently I listen to the song, the more I like it--probably because I'm building up nostalgia value with it or something.

And yes, I do find myself to be prone to disliking new music that my favorite artists release--or at least not liking it as much as older stuff. That's not always the case, though. It usually happens when I get attached to an artist's style and then it changes and become different and I find myself missing older stuff. But that doesn't automatically mean I'll hate the new stuff, either. Ayumi Hamasaki? I liked her early-2000s stuff more than her current stuff, by far. Perfume? They only become better and better with each passing year.
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post