• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs: Does this posture suit you?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm mainly asking about the part where it mentions how ISTJs walk and carry themselves... (ISTjs actually but close enough):

Logical-Sensory Intratim - ISTj (The Pragmatist)

ISTjs often have a very firm, solid figure, especially males. They keep their feet rooted to the ground giving the impression that they are sturdy and secure. Their heads are firmly fixed squarely to their shoulders and are practically immovable. Their necks appear to be inflexible so when they turn their head their shoulders usually follow. Their facial expressions are somewhat unemotional and show great concentration.

Male ISTjs often wear a moustache. If they do not have one then there probably is a logical reason for it, as in general they all agree that a moustache is a good idea. Their clothes are often clean, ironed and tidy. They follow strict styles, never being too flashy or extravagant. It is as if military uniforms were designed specifically for ISTjs. They take great care of their appearance and may criticise people who do not.

ISTjs walk with their hands down by their sides. Their arms hardly seem to move at all and it can appear that their elbows have no joints. Their gait is usually even and rhythmical however from time to time ISTjs can turn sharply and unexpectedly, changing their course without warning.

Last edited:

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Not at all.

I slouch in my desks, lean against the wall when standing, and walk with my hands in my pockets.

I also don't like the idea of a moustache. At all really. I look younger without facial hair, and I like looking young.

I look neat. I'm clean shaven, wear a belt, and tuck my shirt in despite wearing jeans, T-shirts, and sneakers. But that's as far as it goes.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm clean-cut. I have no mustache and probably never will. I keep my appearance very "clean-cut", my hair is short and spiked (or I'm wearing a hat).

I do agree with the square figure part. I walk upright with my gun on my gun and an extra magazine on the opposite side. (;))

As for sitting down, it depends on what I'm working on. If I'm working intensely, I will sit upright, if it's boring, I'll slouch. My arms are always down at my side like it says, probably natural instinct to grab my gun if I sense an immediate threat. ....But that has never happened, and hopefully never will. Just a "ready position". :)

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Actually....this fits me eerily well. I'm often told I stand "too straight". (Or people compliment my alleged perfect posture. It's usually the "loosen up a bit" line I hear though.)

In addition, I'm also told I should smile more, or at least be....I imagine, more expressive? I don't know if I show great concentration, but I feel more comfortable when I am concentrating.

I don't particularly care for the look of a mustache, however, I would like to have a goatee. (Yes, well trimmed and tidy.) Of course....I'm not quite able to grow one just yet. Apparently eighteen years hasn't accumulated enough testosterone. ; )

And that last bit there, about the elbows having no joints. Mine do, but my Mom constantly picks at me for not "moving my arms enough" when I walk. Apparently I hang them straight down and barely move them when walking. Never really thought about it.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Chosen One, maybe you know this already, but I think that the logical-sensory intratim (ISTj) refers to MBTI istp...Although they don't quite translate. Anyway, you guys might also want to compare it to this description: Sensory-Logical Intratim - ISTp (The Artisan)

(Ah, and I know "The Artisan" sounds like our istp doesn't it? Socionics.com is way nutty in my opinion.)

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Chosen One, maybe you know this already, but I think that the logical-sensory intratim (ISTj) refers to MBTI istp...Although they don't quite translate. Anyway, you guys might also want to compare it to this description: Sensory-Logical Intratim - ISTp (The Artisan)

(Ah, and I know "The Artisan" sounds like our istp doesn't it? Socionics.com is way nutty in my opinion.)

The two systems don't map to each other at all. I'm an ISTj in socionics and ISTP in mbti, but there are quite a few ISTps that are ISTPs in this forum as well.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Socionics differs on the individual. I'm a weirdo who's INFP in both systems.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Interesting responses, guys. I myself walk at a very brisk pace (quickly), with a pretty firm posture/gait. But sometimes I don't feel like that and will tend to walk in a very laid-back manner. I don't wear a mustache (clean-shaven), and do keep my hair fairly short. And as for sitting, I agree with d@v3 - I slouch and basically lounge when doing something unimportant, but sit pretty upright when working intensely.

Hmm... I know that I myself am an ISTj in Socionics and ISTJ in MBTI. Plus the ISTj descriptions sound more accurate to MBTI ISTJs than the ISTp descriptions.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
As far as I can determine, I am an ISTJ in MBTI and ISTj in Socionics as well. There was a post on here that explains not every introverted types in MBTI has their last letter switched. The INFx has their letters switched. Let me see if I can find it.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
As far as I can determine, I am an ISTJ in MBTI and ISTj in Socionics as well. There was a post on here that explains not every introverted types in MBTI has their last letter switched. The INFx has their letters switched. Let me see if I can find it.

The bolded is exactly why Socionics should be treated as a different system than MBTI. They're not the same. Similarities exist, yes, but the functions are treated differently. For example, INFPs in MBTI use FiNe, while INFps in Socionics use NiFe. However, I claim that I'm INFp in both systems. Is this a discrepancy? No. No, because the functions have subtly different purposes.

Socionics is overly complex and riddled with twists and turns, so I understand that many people assume the functions work the same.

By the way, an ISTj in Socionics uses TiSe. ISTJs in MBTI use SiTe. Hence why people assume that you switch the last letter to make Socionics work...which is a lie.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Ah I found it! This is an explanation by BlackCat.

Alpha- ENTp (roughly ENTP), ESFj (roughly ESFJ), INTj (roughly INTP), ISFp (roughly ISFP)
Beta- ESTp (roughly ESTP), ENFj (roughly ENFJ), INFp (this one is odd, I know INFJs and INFPs who are INFp), and ISTj (roughly ISTJ)
Delta- ENFp (roughly ENFP), ESTj (roughly ESTJ), ISTp (roughly ISTP), and INFj (like INFp, I've seen INFJs and INFPs be INFj).
Gamma- ESFp (roughly ESFP), ENTj (roughly ENTJ), ISFj (roughly ISFJ), and INTp (roughly INTJ).

Source: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...here-enneagram-mbti-socionics.html#post790979

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
For the record (since everyone and their dog spot brought it up :)), I know that there are many people whose j/p do not switch between the systems (and that there are other variants as well). I offered the other one for comparison so that both socionics ISTj and ISTp were represented.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I walk in a upright manner with squared shoulders, but I do this consciously. When I'm not paying attention, I often find myself slouching.

I do not have a mustache, I am clean shaven. I have short hair.

I think the profile is meant to be a humorous exaggeration; however, ISTJ manners and looks are probably more uptight than others most of the time. I am that way at least.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
ISTjs often have a very firm, solid figure, especially males. They keep their feet rooted to the ground giving the impression that they are sturdy and secure. Their heads are firmly fixed squarely to their shoulders and are practically immovable. Their necks appear to be inflexible so when they turn their head their shoulders usually follow. Their facial expressions are somewhat unemotional and show great concentration.

Not really. I find that I need to monitor myself in order to stand stiff like that. I don't really know how I walk. I do have somewhat unemotional facial expression through.

Male ISTjs often wear a moustache. If they do not have one then there probably is a logical reason for it, as in general they all agree that a moustache is a good idea. Their clothes are often clean, ironed and tidy. They follow strict styles, never being too flashy or extravagant. It is as if military uniforms were designed specifically for ISTjs. They take great care of their appearance and may criticise people who do not.

I don't wear mustache. The fact that this description ask for mustache probably has to do with society expectation when this was written. If society expects me to start following strict style, I'll probably do it. I don't like flashy clothing.

ISTjs walk with their hands down by their sides. Their arms hardly seem to move at all and it can appear that their elbows have no joints. Their gait is usually even and rhythmical however from time to time ISTjs can turn sharply and unexpectedly, changing their course without warning.

Oh I change my course without warning. It happens when I am deeply in my mind or when I am unsure about making a decision.