• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Working in a remote area

Dizzy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hi all,

I work as a consultant trainee, here I do projects of approx. 6 months in one organisation located around the capital of my country. I live in Amsterdam. A week ago one of the directors called me to set an appointment with a customer in a remote area (3,5 hours of travel to get there). Actually right then he didn't tell me about the organization or kinds of assignment, only the date and the city. I tried to call him for 5 days or so, to find out.
It appeared this was a new customer who they wanted to wheel in. I told the director that I had no problem by pitching our organization, but that I didn't really feel like working in that area. The director said he was disapointed because of my attitude.
Past Wednesday I went to the organization and pitched my company. Unfortunately the customer was enthousiastic and wanted me to write an assignment formulation (for me working there). I called the director and told him that I wasn't really happy about the location. He told me he could arrange a hotel for four nights a week during the assigment. Quite frankly I do not feel like working in that remote area, let alone spending 4 nights by myself in some hotel. I also told him that. Then he got really angry and told me if I didn't complete the assignment formulation there would be consequences (= a firing). He told him that I was disaspointed by his threats. Later that day I completed the formulation.

I feel really bad about this. I know I will be quite unhappy spending 5/7 of my week in the remote area. I have two cats, I go to the gym a couple of times a week, I like my social life as is.

The thing that really hits me is that no-one even tried to make it easy on me, or was interested how I would feel under all this. I mean if the director only tried to make things sound nicer it'd be great. It seems that all that counts is money here. They have put my forward because I seem to be a good representative of the company, then why treat me so bad?

I think when I get back on work (I am on holiday now), I will call the director to say I am sorry. (even when I am not, to make work easier in the future)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, that is a pity to be treated that way at your job. Sorry to hear it...not sure what else to say.

I suppose calling your boss will set things on an easier course, as you said, though unfortunately it probably won't make your life less dreary any time soon. I wish you patience and good judgment.

Dizzy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm I was close to resigning after that phone call. It just makes me very angry to be treated this way... Although not everyone considers ISTJ people-persons, I would have never played it this way...