User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

Default SJs - Do you find yourself rehearsing things mentally?

I was wondering if other SJs run into something similar. For as long as I can remember, if I can manage to get relaxed into proper introversion while doing something, I start repeating random things in my head over and over again. I'll repeat entire lines from an entire scene in a movie, sing lyrics to almost entire songs, think about lines from a book I might've recently read, or anything that was interesting enough for it to stick in my head.

It's the kind of thing that's energizing to me in the middle of something taxing. It's just my way of retreating back to the familiar. Do you guys do that or notice it?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

All. the time.

Things I'm going to say, songs and scenes in movies that I like, things I'm going to do...all the time
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I was wondering if other SJs run into something similar. For as long as I can remember, if I can manage to get relaxed into proper introversion while doing something, I start repeating random things in my head over and over again. I'll repeat entire lines from an entire scene in a movie, sing lyrics to almost entire songs, think about lines from a book I might've recently read, or anything that was interesting enough for it to stick in my head.

It's the kind of thing that's energizing to me in the middle of something taxing. It's just my way of retreating back to the familiar. Do you guys do that or notice it?
    Are you kidding? I do this almost every minute of the day. Some line or song or fact or even idea I remembered will just stick in my head, and it's hard to get out. I still have those lines from 'Liar Liar' stuck in my head from all the way back in 1998.

"Here goes, I sped, I followed too closely, I ran a stop sign, I almost hit a Chevy, I sped some more, I failed to yield at a crosswalk, I changed lanes without signaling, I changed lanes at an intersection while running a red light and speeding..."
    "Is that all?"
    "No... I have unpaid parking tickets."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I often get songs stuck in my head, but I always thought that happened to everyone.

Also, the 8 Colors of Fitness (check out the link below if you haven't heard about it) says that Blue types (ISTJs and ISFJs) "maintain their energy by chanting or singing to themselves, or reciting personal mantras" "while engaged in repetitious cardio activities." This definitely happens to me... while working out I will often find myself putting a song on repeat and listening to it for the entire 45 minutes!

8 Colors of Fitness: The 8 Colors of Fitness by Suzanne Brue - Color Coded Exercise Personality Quiz based on Myers Briggs - Home

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ?

When I was in middle school, I had a little hand tape recorder with a bunch of familiar quotes, movie lines, songs that had a high level of long-time familiarity to me, etc.... I would carry it in my jacket pocket and if I felt stressed or disoriented, I'd just play that for a couple minutes.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

No, I can't say I do this. Unless something happens and in that moment it reminds me of a line from a movie or book, then I'll say it out loud. I do get songs stuck in my head for days and I'll sing them all day long but with that's mostly due to the melody not really the lyrics.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't do this either. If I'm doing something I tend to get very into the task and I'm not in my head at all.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    When I was in middle school, I had a little hand tape recorder with a bunch of familiar quotes, movie lines, songs that had a high level of long-time familiarity to me, etc.... I would carry it in my jacket pocket and if I felt stressed or disoriented, I'd just play that for a couple minutes.
    omg. that's exactly what I use my ipod for. I can play the same thing over and over and over again. I listen to specific episodes of tv shows because I just can listen to lines in the show repeatedly. If I had to live without my iPod, I'd probably truly need a therapist. It's the only anchor I really have to my past.

Senior Member Just another ISTJ's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTP

I had music playing in my head while writing an exam a few days ago, but it was more the melodies than the lyrics.