User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    I

Default Voice Recognition

I have excellent voice recognition skills. If I hear a voice out of nowhere that I've heard even once before in my life, I can identify it. You know the electronic voice recognition systems - well I could probably serve as one.

Don't know if it's Si or non-type related, but what about other SJs - do u have great voice recognition? Non-SJs are also free to answer.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

EDIT: sorry, didn't see that this concerned SJs only. Remove the post if necessary. Jesus' blessings upon ye.

I think Si has more to do with visual memory, to be honest.
    Visual and auditory memory are two separate things, and they each have their own parts of the brain.
    Si and the like are more fuzzy and dodgy...

Si is my crappiest function. I'm horrible at it. I've got no sense of direction in building complexes and cities (works very well in nature, though), I can't learn Karate katas (movement patterns) if my life depended on it... I actually spent half a year trying to learn the first basic Kata, and I failed at it. Despite practicing three times a week and at home.
    Beat that...
    But, the point being that my auditory memory is effing awesome.
    I never take notes. I write calendar dates on my computer, but that's as far as it goes.
    Went through my entire time in school without any actual homework (except once when I crash-coursed 9th grade math in nine hours.), just relying on what I had listened to during classes.
    I think that I have some natural tendencies towards this, but laziness sure perfected it.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post

I think Si has more to do with visual memory, to be honest.
    Visual and auditory memory are two separate things, and they each have their own parts of the brain.
    Si and the like are more fuzzy and dodgy...
    I completely disagree with this. Si aids in all sorts of sensory storage, and it's not just limited to visual stimuli. Sure, most people operate off of visual memories, so usually Si is attributed to recognizing/remembering visual details, but it is certainly not limited to that. Some people are more inclined to go off of auditory details, and for these people, Si is manifested in an auditory way. So yeah, I definitely would say that the ability to notice fine details and discrepancies between voices, store these details, and reference back to the bank of details is a process attributed to Si.

Perhaps you use Si more than you realize, YLJ, if you so easily remember auditory stimuli...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I completely disagree with this. Si aids in all sorts of sensory storage, and it's not just limited to visual stimuli. Sure, most people operate off of visual memories, so usually Si is attributed to recognizing/remembering visual details, but it is certainly not limited to that. Some people are more inclined to go off of auditory details, and for these people, Si is manifested in an auditory way. So yeah, I definitely would say that the ability to notice fine details and discrepancies between voices, store these details, and reference back to the bank of details is a process attributed to Si.
    Then, maybe Si is way too broad of a term.
    The brain certainly doesn't think it's the same thing operating.
    I'll take your word for it, though. Makes perfect MBTI sense.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    I

I was thinking it may be Si because my brain registered the voice of one particular person when I first heard it. It then was able to decipher through the minutae of the voices of the tons of other people I've heard to say "This is Person X talking".

EDIT: sorry, didn't see that this concerned SJs only. Remove the post if necessary. Jesus' blessings upon ye.
    No problem, I'll open it to non-SJs also.

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Yeah, I definitely agree (so I disagree with YLJ on the auditory/visual point). Si is about using all 5 senses.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Then, maybe Si is way too broad of a term.
    The brain certainly doesn't think it's the same thing operating.
    I'll take your word for it, though. Makes perfect MBTI sense.
    Why do you think Si is too broad of a term? It's responsible for direct sensory input and storage and directly applying that sensory input/storage to new experiences to reach a solution. Why is that broad?

MBTI
    ?

I agree that Si aids in all kinds of memory, and the manifestation of it differs with the individual. I personally have zero visual observation skills, so my visual memory is predictably low. But tell me a fact, or let me read or hear something, I'll remember it forever.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't have that voice recognition skill, but I have body & face shape recognition. I can recognise a person only from a blurred photo full off people.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Voice recognition .. No.

But i will remember your face forever.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I use voice recognition to recognize people very often. My vision is absolutely horrible. Without glasses on I can't recognize facial features outside of 5-6 feet. Even with glasses I'm worse than most at identifying visual features of people. However voices are one of the best ways I can identify people. Hearing just part of a word from someone I know I recognize them very quickly. I don't quite have your instant realization of their name but I'll remember a general idea/feeling of the person and soon thereafter come up with a name. As I have decent Si this may be connected.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil