• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] ISFJ authors, musicians etc?

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Yesterday I read on the Internet that Louisa May Alcott and Charles Dickens were ISFJs. I love their works and this makes me wonder if there are other good authors or other kinds of "artists" that are ISFJs. Perhaps I would enjoy their works, too! So, does anyone know of any ISFJ auhtors, musicians etc?

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm really glad to see this thread topic. I think it's a tough one to answer because it's not easy to type an author and there are probably not many out there since we tend to keep to ourselves and steer clear of the spotlight. But nonetheless...........

Chris Carrabba, singer of Dashboard Confessional

chris_carrabba.jpg

Interview:

[YOUTUBE="qT0gMF4i9xs"]Interview[/YOUTUBE]
His style of masculinity seems very ISFJ to me. And, in terms of his music, he's easily the most heartfelt male lyricists in all of contemporary music.

[YOUTUBE="wjQ4sW7-iLI"]As Lovers Go[/YOUTUBE]

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I also think the movie Notting Hill was written by and about an ISFJ. It's a romantic comedy, but if you've seen it, the two main characters aren't very wordy. It's every one of the characters circling around them who are talkative and rather zany. The protagonist and his love interest tend to speak in a quiet, terse manner almost expressing themselves implicitly. And they spend much of the film hiding away together though she's a movie star.

The film is chalked full of ISFJ themes like modesty, warmth, and there's just a general quietness to it.

Plot:
William Thacker, a travel bookstore owner living in Notting Hill, is barely making ends meet. He rents out part of his house to a lodger whom he considers the "stupidest git" in the world. His personal life is equally in shambles because, although he has a small group of dear friends, he is divorced - she left him - and has no prospects of love on the horizon. His life changes when into his bookstore walks American, Anna Scott, the most famous and attractive movie actress in the world. Against the odds, Anna and William develop a romance. But the odds of being together are still stacked against them as they live in two different worlds.

[YOUTUBE="FLJri7eueXQ"]Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

I've known a few ESTP's who took a liking to this film and they don't generally go for romantic comedies. But I think some ISFJ's will get a kick out of it if they haven't seen it before.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whitney Houston - ISFJ

I'm really glad to see this thread topic. I think it's a tough one to answer because it's not easy to type an author and there are probably not many out there since we tend to keep to ourselves and steer clear of the spotlight. But nonetheless...........

Yes, I'm glad to see this thread too. People need to see what SFJ artists are like.

Chris Carrabba, singer of Dashboard Confessional
His style of masculinity seems very ISFJ to me. And, in terms of his music, he's easily the most heartfelt male lyricists in all of contemporary music.

Yes, definitely! Spot on. :yes:

I also think the movie Notting Hill was written by and about an ISFJ. It's a romantic comedy, but if you've seen it, the two main characters aren't very wordy. It's every one of the characters circling around them who are talkative and rather zany. The protagonist and his love interest tend to speak in a quiet, terse manner almost expressing themselves implicitly. And they spend much of the film hiding away together though she's a movie star.

The film is chalked full of ISFJ themes like modesty, warmth, and there's just a general quietness to it.

......... But I think some ISFJ's will get a kick out of it if they haven't seen it before.

Cool. I'll check it out, thanks. :cheese:

edit: Oh, oh! I think this guy that works at this coffee shop I go to is an ISFJ. I'm almost certain of it. *enlightened*

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yes, definitely! Spot on. :yes:

You think so too? Alright! Whitney Houston would make a pretty crazy ISFJ, but we'll take it. There's no one to argue with us anyway! (Dammit, what's with this place??) Well, I have one more left to write about which is Van Gogh, but that's as much as I have up my sleeve.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You think so too? Alright! Whitney Houston would make a pretty crazy ISFJ, but we'll take it. There's no one to argue with us anyway! (Dammit, what's with this place??) Well, I have one more left to write about which is Van Gogh, but that's as much as I have up my sleeve.

Crazy ISFJ's happen sometimes, unfortunately. We're not all sane. :party: Anyways, omg, Van Gogh... YES!

Man, how I love that there is no one to argue with us. :cool:

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
LoLz

Whitney Houston = when ISFJ goes very, very wrong. No, we're not all sane. Not even close. Having read some of the bad experiences people have had with our type, I can see why they might say the things they do. You can't help but re-evaluate your own self as well.

It seems like Van Gogh is the Big Kahuna as far as our type goes. I think many people have found his story to be moving irregardless of type.

[YOUTUBE="GPG3zSgm_Qo"]Christmas time is here[/YOUTUBE]

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
:moonwalk:

Aw crap, don't make me wubbie you! Must...fight.... the urge........

I don't have my jump drive on me where all that info is stored, but I'll do it soon!

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just guessing:

Andy Warhol
Withney Houston
Sid Vicious (but more a socionics ISFj than a MBTI ISFJ, I think)
Johnny Cash
Alicia Keys
Mariah Carey?
Beyonce?
Nick Zinner from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Thomas Hardy (not sure he was ISFJ, but an SJ for sure)

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
:moonwalk:

Aw crap, don't make me wubbie you! Must...fight.... the urge........

I don't have my jump drive on me where all that info is stored, but I'll do it soon!

I love Van Gogh, since reading The Yellow House. It took learning his biography for me to care about his paintings. I feel like his life just screams to be made into a sort of black comedy sitcom, especially the bit with Gauguin.

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Just guessing:

Andy Warhol
Withney Houston
Sid Vicious (but more a socionics ISFj than a MBTI ISFJ, I think)
Johnny Cash
Alicia Keys
Mariah Carey?
Beyonce?
Nick Zinner from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

That's quite a list you have there :)

I love Van Gogh, since reading The Yellow House. It took learning his biography for me to care about his paintings. I feel like his life just screams to be made into a sort of black comedy sitcom, especially the bit with Gauguin.

Van Gogh's images are so commonplace by now, it's easy to gloss over them without a second thought. Knowing his biography has made his paintings a lot more meaningful for me too. Definitely. Apparently Picasso kept a picture of him in his wallet. I haven't read that book, but it looks interesting. If they were in a sitcom, I would cast Gauguin as the annoying neighbor.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, and Sade I think are ISFJs.

Whitney Houston and Usher I think are ESFJs.

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Btw, if you would like to share any thoughts on Van Gogh, I'd be happy to hear. Always good to know more.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Gauguin was such a ridiculous character. It's not quite right that Vincent is remembered as the crazy one.

[YOUTUBE="KJnVwCL9RAE"]The Yellow House[/YOUTUBE]

There was a movie of The Yellow House too, and though it's not a comedy the creators clearly have a sense of humor. They're like a dysfunctional married couple!

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Haha, they should have totally made out at the end of the scene.

Here's another Van Gogh related video. I hope any ISFJs out there like the song.

[YOUTUBE="dipFMJckZOM"]Vincent (Starry Starry Night)[/YOUTUBE]

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

INFP....heavy, heavy on analyzing/critiquing the moral hypocrisy of his day and using symbolism - Sooo Fi Ne.
And I think Van Gogh is IxFP, and I leans towards N....

I think there's a lot of ISFJs in writing and music, etc. though.

From the DN's author list (these seem right to me):

Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Louisa May Alcott
John Betjeman
Seamus Heaney
Samuel Richardson
W H Auden
Jeffrey Eugenides
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Arthur Conan Doyle
Agatha Christie

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Ah, this thread has gotten more replies... yay :)

Notting Hill represents super nice values, and the characters are so sympathetic. <3

Arthur Conan Doyle
Agatha Christie

They are ISFJs?! I've got to read Sherlock Holmes novels finally... Been intending to read them for years but never had the time. :/

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
I nominate Rocky Votolato, who has incidentally opened for Chris Carrabba, what do you guys think?

[YOUTUBE="Bopb0Rl4Fg8"]White Daisy Passing[/YOUTUBE]