• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to differentiate between an ISFJ & ISTJ?

Carrot

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
What's the major difference between ISFJ & ISTJ? Because I'm getting a little confused with what's my personality type is. I did the personality test for the 1st time and I got ISFJ, but after doing it for the 2nd time, I got ISTJ.

I'm not sure whether I think more or I feel more, perhaps I mistook feeling with thinking.

Just a background info about me, I tend to get very emotional easily, so that means I get moody easily, but I can get extremely happy (or High) if I hang out with the right people, till the extent that I don't mind if the lift suddenly breaks down and I'm stuck inside. LOL.

So basically, I just need the definition of the difference between thinking with my head and thinking with my heart.

And perhaps, I might have click some answers wrongly because I don't fully understand what the question is answering. My English isn't that good.

But 1 thing that I'm sure of is, I'm definitely an IS. XD

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's hard to tell just from what you've described. I think one major difference is ISFJs have a lower tolerance level for conflict and disagreement and want to have things as harmonious as possible, often by not pressing their opinions on others. They are kind and like to give presents and please people by doing personal services for them. ISTJs are more into their independence and can handle disagreements and conflicting opinions because they don't look at the feelings generated, more at the objective situation and ideas involved, so they don't take the disharmony so personally or seriously.

Carrot

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
It's hard to tell just from what you've described. I think one major difference is ISFJs have a lower tolerance level for conflict and disagreement and want to have things as harmonious as possible, often by not pressing their opinions on others. They are kind and like to give presents and please people by doing personal services for them. ISTJs are more into their independence and can handle disagreements and conflicting opinions because they don't look at the feelings generated, more at the objective situation and ideas involved, so they don't take the disharmony so personally or seriously.

Yah. I know it's quite hard to tell the difference of what I truly am with the limited description. By the way, I don't really get what it means by ISFJs prefer things to be as harmonious as possible??

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
The main glaring difference is Te (ISTJ) vs. Fe (ISFJ).

Te (extraverted Thinking) involves systemizing things for efficiency, organization. The ability to make things clear for people to understand easily, and the ability to manage systems logically.

Fe (extraverted Feeling) involves connecting emotionally with other people. It usually has to do with taking pleasure in a group's well-being, taking care of others, or simply being very considerate and friendly.

So which one do you use more of?

Carrot

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
The main glaring difference is Te (ISTJ) vs. Fe (ISFJ).

Te (extraverted Thinking) involves systemizing things for efficiency, organization. The ability to make things clear for people to understand easily, and the ability to manage systems logically.

Fe (extraverted Feeling) involves connecting emotionally with other people. It usually has to do with taking pleasure in a group's well-being, taking care of others, or simply being very considerate and friendly.

So which one do you use more of?

I like things to be systematic but I can't seemed to make myself clear enough. So that means, I might not be an ISTJ?

I'm not sure whether am I considerate or do I take pleasure in a group's well-being because I never really thought about it, but I tend to be rather friendly to anyone who takes the initiative to talk to me.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
The description sounds like ISTJ. Your picture is too cute for ISTJ through..:huh:

Carrot

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
The description sounds like ISTJ. Your picture is too cute for ISTJ through..:huh:

ISTJ don't like cute stuffs? XD

My friends were just talking about my Pikachu handphone strap yesterday. XD

Now I think I have split personalities, perhaps I'm a ISF/TJ? Lols.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Sounds like an ISFJ..... =)

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4

The endless torture of tripping is quite sadistic, actually. Surely the ISTJs can approve of that?

Carrot

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
The endless torture of tripping is quite sadistic, actually. Surely the ISTJs can approve of that?

Woots. I think I get what you mean. Are you referring to my picture??

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yah. I know it's quite hard to tell the difference of what I truly am with the limited description. By the way, I don't really get what it means by ISFJs prefer things to be as harmonious as possible??

For example, when there's a family get-together, the ISFJ I know doesn't like to discuss topics where people are going to have strong and conflicting opinions because it makes the emotional atmosphere conflicted. She likes the atmosphere to flow and feel ok and everyone to be having a nice time and that things are normal. At least that's how she feels it. Just an example.

I think it's an extraverted feeling thing where ISFJs value that the group as a whole is ok and in harmony with one another. The ISFJ will often not press their preferences on others for the sake of group harmony. As an ISTJ for example, I don't concentrate on the group so much. I guess it sounds kind of selfish but I think more about if the group fits to me or not, and if it doesn't, it's quite stressful for me and I will probably be more withdrawn.

Carrot

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
For example, when there's a family get-together, the ISFJ I know doesn't like to discuss topics where people are going to have strong and conflicting opinions because it makes the emotional atmosphere conflicted. She likes the atmosphere to flow and feel ok and everyone to be having a nice time and that things are normal. At least that's how she feels it. Just an example.

I think it's an extraverted feeling thing where ISFJs value that the group as a whole is ok and in harmony with one another. The ISFJ will often not press their preferences on others for the sake of group harmony. As an ISTJ for example, I don't concentrate on the group so much. I guess it sounds kind of selfish but I think more about if the group fits to me or not, and if it doesn't, it's quite stressful for me and I will probably be more withdrawn.

So that means, an ISFJ wouldn't feel ok if someone seems to be not having fun and the ISFJ will perhaps ask what's wrong? However, an ISTJ is more concerned with his/her own feelings. And he/she will consider about his/her being comfortable in that group or not?

So far I haven't experienced stress being in a wrong group yet, the most I felt was left out and awkwardness.

Anyway, to put what you explained in another way, the ISFJ will become moody because he/she was discouraged by certain things or people but they'll most probably not rebuke if he/she gets criticized. However, an ISTJ gets moody because of his/her own problems???

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So that means, an ISFJ wouldn't feel ok if someone seems to be not having fun and the ISFJ will perhaps ask what's wrong? However, an ISTJ is more concerned with his/her own feelings. And he/she will consider about his/her being comfortable in that group or not?

That would depend on the specific individual. I was just trying to outline a general trend, but how that plays out specifically and in specific situations could look rather different. The ISFJ I know would not I think be so forward as to ask what's wrong if someone is quiet. That's a little personal for her style. It's more like she tries to avoid things that could be disruptive to the group as a whole. But that's just her. And what I said about myself is just me. I wanted to say that I don't think about group harmony so much.

Anyway, to put what you explained in another way, the ISFJ will become moody because he/she was discouraged by certain things or people but they'll most probably not rebuke if he/she gets criticized. However, an ISTJ gets moody because of his/her own problems???

No, no. I think you've gone off on a tangent there.

Carrot

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
No, no. I think you've gone off on a tangent there.

I'm not sure about it. But it seemed I practically gets really discouraged if someone criticizes my works...

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
In my experience, ISFJs compliment people way more than ISTJs do. ISFJs seem also to have less intense opinions about everything/

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

I was also thinking that. Plus the statement about Pikachu... so I would say ISFJ.