• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs enjoy unoriginal gifts?

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I am struggling to find christmas gifts for a married couple who both are ISTJs. I feel like I buy them the same thing YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR.

Their interests and tastes never seem to change, but can I really by them other candle set, puzzle, and a giftcard to their favorite restaurant?

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Yes, we always like having the same thing over and over again. :huh:

Seriously speaking, personally I hate receiving gifts. Why? Because most often people buy me things I don't need, and that makes me think that:

- They don't know me well enough to buy me a gift I'd need.
- They wasted their money on something I didn't like. It's like throwing money away.
- I didn't bother to buy me something original, something that's specifically meant for me. I mean, you can buy a box of chocolate to just anyone. What's the point in giving a gift anyone can get for themselves?
- They bought me a gift just because it's a custom, rather than actually wanting to give it.

What I like in having gifts is the originality of gift. And a thought that someone spent time and effort getting me a gift I'd like. Or just receiving something extremely useful.

And my tastes never change, because I know what I like. But I could use some help at picking up some cool clothes. I hate shopping, so if someone can do that for me, I'm pleased.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Habba, you pretty much explained all the things that go on in my head while I am shopping! What if this is just something stupid, what if they are offended by the unthoughtfulness of this gift.

The thing is, I know this couple pretty well. I know the things they like, but I am someone who buys fun things for people, but not practical things. so I feel like I can't find a happy medium.

They are simple living, enjoy movies, going out to eat (no where fancy) and just sitting around playing games. They are very practical but since they don't enjoy fancy things, or new technologies, I don't know how to get out of the rut that I am in... any advice??

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?

Seriously speaking, personally I hate receiving gifts. Why? Because most often people buy me things I don't need, and that makes me think that:

- They wasted their money on something I didn't like. It's like throwing money away.
- I didn't bother to buy me something original, something that's specifically meant for me. I mean, you can buy a box of chocolate to just anyone. What's the point in giving a gift anyone can get for themselves?
- They bought me a gift just because it's a custom, rather than actually wanting to give it.

What I like in having gifts is the originality of gift. And a thought that someone spent time and effort getting me a gift I'd like. Or just receiving something extremely useful.

And my tastes never change, because I know what I like. But I could use some help at picking up some cool clothes. I hate shopping, so if someone can do that for me, I'm pleased.

:) Yes, this. Having consistent tastes has nothing to do with originality of the gift. Do some people's tastes change annually?

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Habba, you pretty much explained all the things that go on in my head while I am shopping! What if this is just something stupid, what if they are offended by the unthoughtfulness of this gift.

The thing is, I know this couple pretty well. I know the things they like, but I am someone who buys fun things for people, but not practical things. so I feel like I can't find a happy medium.

They are simple living, enjoy movies, going out to eat (no where fancy) and just sitting around playing games. They are very practical but since they don't enjoy fancy things, or new technologies, I don't know how to get out of the rut that I am in... any advice??

What kind of games do they play? Do they have some kind of rec room/family room where they watch movies? What about something like an old-style popcorn maker?

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

What kind of games do they play? I personally enjoy board games, so do few other SJs I know. Especially those that are wacky and humorous. The last game of that sort was "Gloom", a game where you lead a family of mishaps, and try to make their lives as miserable as possible. Makes a great game for christmas. :D

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ

What kind of games do they play? I personally enjoy board games, so do few other SJs I know. Especially those that are wacky and humorous. The last game of that sort was "Gloom", a game where you lead a family of mishaps, and try to make their lives as miserable as possible. Makes a great game for christmas. :D

LOL! Yes, Habba is right.

I will also add a line to his first post: I dislike receiving gifts because then I am compelled to get that individual a gift.... and I SUCK at picking out gifts. :doh:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just get them a tie.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
He is the kind of guy who asks for socks and underwear every year. Unoriginal. Yet, he likes it and expects it. So I guess I'll just go along doing the same old thing. Lol

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
He likes getting socks and underwear? Sounds like one craaaaazy dude.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I find it hard to imagine anyone who actually likes getting socks and underwear every year. Are you sure he isn't just being polite? ISTJs can be very polite I think, for me it can be like a defence mechanism when dealing with troublesome situations.

E.g. Christmas is really important to my ISFJ mother-in-law. I couldn't care less about it but I have to go along with it because of the family. She always wants to know what I want for Christmas, she sincerely wants to get something that will please me. But she will never be able to get anything that really pleases me because for me the best gift is something really original from the heart, and I just don't have that kind of relationship with her, so it doesn't matter what object she gets me. But I have to say what I want, so I either ask for something very useful, or if there's nothing useful I need, like this year, I ask for something that will be no trouble for her to get. So I will ask for some random book probably. And show my appreciation and that I like it. Even if I don't really “like” it on the level she wants me to like the gift. I don't know if this is the same for other ISTJs.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

What he said. I don't enjoy the same boring gifts, btw. I like different stuff, and it's more about the thought, but if it's something that I can use, and the giver knows this, it makes it a better gift for me.

Like my gf gave me one of those custom made bears, and she recorded a little song that the bear sings when I squeeze his paw. I appreciated it, but after 2 days or so, the bear was back in it's box and in the closet. I have no need for the bear. Seriously I would chuck it but because she'll most likely end up my wife I'll keep it. But I have no use for it; it's only taking up space.

SubjectA

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Can you cook? Bake them something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most xSTJ's would enjoy something they could use.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I find it hard to imagine anyone who actually likes getting socks and underwear every year. Are you sure he isn't just being polite? ISTJs can be very polite I think, for me it can be like a defence mechanism when dealing with troublesome situations.

Yeah, it is unbelievable but he LIKES getting them. He is very polite but since he is an ISTJ he can be pretty blunt in admitting if something isn't right for him. I personally have never bought him underwear haha, i leave that to his family.

He and his wife (the ISTJ couple) are much older than me, so they pretty much have everything I think they need. As I said, I think if I bought something super expensive they would be offended since they enjoying living a simple life.

I like the idea of baking them something, but do you think they'll take offense that that is nearly next to nothing in cost?

aahh my Ne is going haywire!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Get them movie tickets.

Costco - Movie Tickets

They probably sell them for cheaper in the Costco store if you go there.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I like the idea of baking them something, but do you think they'll take offense that that is nearly next to nothing in cost?

Your time isn't free, now is it? So there are hidden costs there.

I don't like baking myself, but I do like eating bakery stuff. Especially "Joulutorttu", something similar to "Puff Pastry". They usually have apple or plum jam as filling. "Joulutorttu" is as christmas as it gets. :)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, it is unbelievable but he LIKES getting them. He is very polite but since he is an ISTJ he can be pretty blunt in admitting if something isn't right for him. I personally have never bought him underwear haha, i leave that to his family.

He and his wife (the ISTJ couple) are much older than me, so they pretty much have everything I think they need. As I said, I think if I bought something super expensive they would be offended since they enjoying living a simple life.

aahh my Ne is going haywire!

They will most likely appreciate it. $$ doesn't make the gift. Unless your cooking sends people to the emergency room.