User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Those Who Take Offense to Other's Appearance

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

this is all reminding me of a good friend and past roommate (ESTJ) who always kept her clothes fashionable and immaculate. She liked to comment on the fact that I apparently generally appear to be an assassin while wandering about innocently in public (black boots, black tank top, black biker jacket and black sunglasses). Thankfully she never tried to change my mind or take me shopping! (I own a black dog, so black clothes really are the most practical thing to wear!).
    My ISFJ mother occasionally asks me when I'm planning on getting a new pair of jeans (when the legs fall off or something equally drastic) or if it's really necissary to show cleavage when fully dressed (yes- if you've got it flaunt it!).
    In general I don't get too much criticism though (probably they think I'll assassinate them!). I wouldn't mind taking prplchkz idea and giving up on clothes in the warm months at least though! Then I'd get nothing but praise!

^Awesome. I've dressed like that on occasion...heh, your mother sounds like mine, though mine freaks out on even the hint of cleavage. Not that I have too much to flaunt in that area anyway....
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Be tidy but cheap.
    Then you do not offend anybody.

I decided to do that after years of hearing nasty comments, problem solved.

8w9 sx/sp

Man, it's not just an SJ thing. Everyone does it.

I don't see how people can wear the same thing every day. It makes things so..monotonous..looking in the mirror every day and going, "Oh, it's *that* again". I need to be able to visually stimulate myself. I mean, if I have to put clothes on, I figure I should at least give that law a little spark of artistic expression. I get to reinvent myself in a small way every day, and I really cherish that. I don't see how it is superficial to want to achieve a "look". It is only superficial if you are offended by those that don't.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Since this thread seems to be sparking discussion on personal style and I'm very curious to hear more, I took it upon myself to start a new thread -- here:

I'm with niffer. We've all got to wear clothes (thanks to mentioned public decency laws)- it is just sometimes more fun to play with it instead. Like a costume you wear every day. I don't really think it's an SJ thing though. I certainly watch what people are wearing. Sometimes they are ridiculously fashionable (saw a girl 30 min ago wearing leggings and a plaid jacket... which was probably showing her butt) and I am amused by their audacity. Sometimes they have perfected a look so well I am awed (the ability to tailor an outfit into a pointed message!). Some people dress to blend in (which also seems to involve some sort of finesse), some for practicality, some to show comraderie. At the end of the day, it is function that is to be met, does it really matter how the function is achieved?

All I know is that my ENTJ dad flips out if he see's anyone with hair maintenance that he considers "improper."
    He has told me many times that I look like a homeless man.
    "Move swiftly."