User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I wouldn't criticize someone's clothing to their face... but I might talk about it to other people (whom they didn't associate with and whom I trusted) after the fact just to vent. I mainly dislike people walking around with their pants down around their knees, with boxers showing. It's really annoying, and they have to use one hand to hold them up. It's so ridiculous.

Also, one person I knew wore these really ugly pink shoes with holes in them (I think they were called Crocs), and yellow eyeshadow. I kept wondering if I it was a bad idea for me to be seen talking to someone dressed that way, and then chastising myself for being selfish, judgmental, and shallow.

MBTI
    infp

I don't think I'd care if someone wore a fuck belt in the mall, personally.

Anyone here from Toronto? Theres a guy who used to walk around downtown Toronto in 2005-mid 2007 dressed only in shorts, boots, and a santa claus hat, even in winter.

He got harassed by the police on a daily basis (police are generally SJ's, right? Is that an unfair generalization?) for dressing oddly and doing knuckle push ups while saying "yes yes yes!" and "merry christmas!". He actually became quite famous and popular, but he also had an online hate community. A lot of people think hes crazy, but hes actually totally sane, hes just in character. Look up "Zanta" on Youtube to see him in action.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I probably wouldn't care about the belt buckle unless I had my younger kids with me.

It bothers me when parents allow their pre- and early-adolescent daughters to dress provocatively.

I don't want to see any body parts or clear outlines of body parts that normally reside in some kind of undergarment.

If think your clothes, hair, make up, or whatever looks funny or bad or ugly, so what? I didn't ask the general public what I should wear when I got up this morning. Why should they ask me?

I haven't had too much of a problem with people, SJ or otherwise, commenting on my clothes in a negative way since my much-loved ISXJ grandma died. I'd love to hear her complain about my holey jeans and take me to the store to buy me new ones and make me turn around and bend over to make sure they weren't to tight on my bum. I miss her.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Here is a description of how Si dominant people view the concrete world. They have an inner sense of how concrete objects are suppose to be. When something comes into conflict with these expectations, Si thinking will reject it. It can cause unnecessary conflict, but these types also provide a stabilizing force to society. (SJ = Si as primary or secondary function)

Quote Originally Posted by typelogic-ISTJ
    For both of the IS_J types, the sense of propriety comes from the clear definition of these internal forms. An apple "should" have certain qualities, against which all apples are evaluated. A "proper" chair has four legs, (and other qualities this poor INTP can only guess). Jung viewed introverted sensing as something of an oxymoron, in that the natural direction of senses is outward toward the object, rather than inward and away from it. One has the sense that Introverted Sensors are drawn more to the measure of the concept of the perceived object than to the experience of that perception.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by typelogic-ISTJ
    For both of the IS_J types, the sense of propriety comes from the clear definition of these internal forms. An apple "should" have certain qualities, against which all apples are evaluated. A "proper" chair has four legs, (and other qualities this poor INTP can only guess). Jung viewed introverted sensing as something of an oxymoron, in that the natural direction of senses is outward toward the object, rather than inward and away from it. One has the sense that Introverted Sensors are drawn more to the measure of the concept of the perceived object than to the experience of that perception.
    Experientially, the bolded part resonates with me. There is an inexplicable "detachment" from things I have experienced when relating to ISxJs, they like to remain in control of themselves and seem to really dislike the experiential aspect of perceptions -- they'll measure and evaluate and compare, but to actually just "BE" inside the perception itself and mastered by it? They seem to be very uncomfortable doing that. It takes a lot for them to "let go" sometimes and be part of the experience, rather than critiquing it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not sure whether this is unique to SJs but something that really frustrates me is the unwritten rule that one should not wear the same outfit/piece of clothing too often, especially if one is female. I didn't get it in school and I don't get it now; so long as the clothes are clean and appropriate to the occasion, why should other people care about my lack of wardrobe variety? :steam:

I conform at work and school since there are other variables with which I would rather fill my weirdness quota, but I have no qualms subjecting friends to my favorite skirt most every time I see them. No complaints or invitations to go shopping yet.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I'm not sure whether this is unique to SJs but something that really frustrates me is the unwritten rule that one should not wear the same outfit/piece of clothing too often, especially if one is female. I didn't get it in school and I don't get it now; so long as the clothes are clean and appropriate to the occasion, why should other people care about my lack of wardrobe variety? :steam:
    Lol...this doesn't bother me at all. I'm probably the one mostly likely out of all of my friends to wear the same exact outfits over and over again. I'd say I might have a 2-week rotation worth of clothes that I actually wear. In a given week of going to school and whatnot I'm likely to wear the same pair of jeans for 3-4 days in a row. So long as they stay clean and don't smell there's no problem.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Lol...this doesn't bother me at all.
    Oh, I didn't intend to imply that all SJs are anal about this. I just remember SJs at school chiding me for it (both nastily and nicely).

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Experientially, the bolded part resonates with me. There is an inexplicable "detachment" from things I have experienced when relating to ISxJs, they like to remain in control of themselves and seem to really dislike the experiential aspect of perceptions -- they'll measure and evaluate and compare, but to actually just "BE" inside the perception itself and mastered by it? They seem to be very uncomfortable doing that. It takes a lot for them to "let go" sometimes and be part of the experience, rather than critiquing it.
    Well said Jennifer, I know I'm like this. The best example in my life of this concept is getting drunk and the whole "bar scene." I don't see why people enjoy or even put themselves in the position where they are stupidly drunk. I have been around plenty of people who use alcohol for a good time, and some who use it as an escape. Either way it never ends up well. I've had friends puke everywhere, fall over and blackout, get themselves very sick, and just make poor choices in general. Voluntarily putting myself in a situation like that has no appeal to me. I stay very detached and analytical in those situations. I do drink socially, but in moderation. The worst I've been is pretty tipsy and that was in the company of my close friends...people I know I can trust and will take care of me.

Most SJ friends I have don't criticize my appearance under normal circumstances. But if I am going out, or going to business function, they'll have plenty of "criticism" (as will most people).

IMO, this is a good thing, and I usually seek it out, since I am not that great at knowing what make sense by myself.

My brother on the other hand (ISFP, I think) will ignore comments and do his own thing, then get all sorts of compliments on his sense of style.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield