User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default ISTJs - what do you do for a living?

Are you an ISTJ who enjoys your career?
    What do you do? Did you enjoy the coursework that got you there?

At 29, I am a structural engineer w/ my PE. This fall I started taking night courses. I am enrolled in an accounting program but am definitely not passionate about learning how to audit or do taxes. I may be good at it, but just about any liberal arts class would be more exciting (sociology, history, psychology, heck even art or music.) Not sure what I would do with those liberal arts classes though.

MBTI
    ESFJ

OK, i am curious .. If you are not passionate about it .. Then why are you going to do it??? Why not do something you are passionate about?

Sorry ..
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ISTJ

Because I struggle to figure out what I am passionate about....and something in the accounting/finance field always pops up in the past 6 career tests I have taken.

Although I would enjoy taking a bunch of couses in liberal arts, it just doesn't seem to be very practical.

Also, sometimes the tasks you are doing outside of school are different then what you learn about....e.g. in engineering school there was always a firm solid solution, but in the real world much more creativity is involved and 3 different engineers solve the same problem 3 different ways.

MBTI
    ?

I don't know for certain that I'm ISTJ, but right now it fits the best. I work in politics, and I've always been drawn to the social sciences in general. I love history, sociology, (some) macro-economics, campaign strategy, demography, justice, etc... I admit that I can get bored out of my mind with some of the public policy details though.

Most of what you described as your interests fall under the social science umbrella as well (I always associate liberal arts with literature, art, creative writing, philosophy, etc...) There are a number of careers you can work toward with a social science education: law, education, management, policy analyst, social work, marketing, etc...

Have you considered any of those careers?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I do enjoy my career. I'm a translator.

What you're talking about is similar in some ways to career issues I used to have. When I was younger my dream was to be a concert pianist, at the same time I was good at traditional academic subjects, although more humanities-related. I was really passionate about the music but less good at it than I was at the academic subjects, but I wasn't passionate about them.

I went for music but left conservatoire because I couldn't handle it. After that I went to university and studied languages and found that I was happier doing something I wasn't so passionate about but was good at. I also found I was happier if my studies/profession was not so feeling-based, as music is. Another thing I found was that my profession doesn't have to be the be-all and end-all, once I found out what my overall dream and passion for my life is, and I found that wasn't my profession. So I'm very happy with my profession because it fits into my overall picture of what I want to achieve.

Don't know if that makes sense. Another example of someone I know: he is a nurse. He likes the physical work of being a nurse and that it doesn't need a lot of his intellectual power because he spends that intellectual power on reading and studying a lot in his spare time on the subjects that really interest him and that he is passionate about. He needs freedom in his mind for that so that's why he's a nurse. He likes it but isn't passionate about and he's happy with that.

It's just something to maybe consider when making the decision. Good luck!

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I'm a student. After graduation (I'm in college) I'll be getting a job with some government agency involving national security. I love politics and military issues--mostly foreign policy politics.

About being a student: my daddy never knew any big shots so I suffer from not having the contacts that some lucky bastards have. That is frustrating. Also frustrating is how lazy and ignorant my generation is. I blame the baby-boomers
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Also frustrating is how lazy and ignorant my generation is. I blame the baby-boomers
    Don't forget to add selfishness to your blame the Boomers theory...

Good luck with your career in government/foreign policy. Seems like you and I probably wouldn't agree on a lot of those issues, but you always seem to take a thoughtful approach and that's a needed asset in government.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

^thanks
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm a CPA. I audited financial statements and now do internal audit for a fund company. It's just okay, but the hours are way better here than with the big 4 firm. I hope to eventually do some kind of financial analysis in the future; at the least I'll move over to operations.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Also frustrating is how lazy and ignorant my generation is.
    Why frustrating? As an industrious and knowledgeable individual, you can be sure to succeed if forced to compete, right?