• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs - what do you do for a living?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I don't have a career yet and I still don't know what I want to do with my life. It frustrates me because I know I have to choose something, but I want it to be something I'm passionate about. Luckily I still have time, but it gets shorter and shorter every day. :p

rurounimon

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I work as an embedded software engineer at an aerospace defense company. I have a B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science :)
I really enjoy the people I work with (although the majority are conservatives... and I'm a liberal, eek!) and the project itself is very interesting, but eventually I'd like to move on to a different company or project that I'm more enthusiastic about. Something involved with space exploration would be really cool. In time though! This is my first real career job out of college, so I want to look stable for at least 3 years. My resume looks kind of dicey, since I've hopped from job to job a lot during college.

Homer

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm a truck/coach mechanic. sometimes even a good one.:newwink:

loved the training(trade school)
my 1st choice was a farmer but after Ag business management in college I realized I didn't want to work for nothing.
my second choice was a heavy equipment operator but there were no jobs back in the late 80s.

so my 3rd choice ended up being the winner. I love the job but especially on afternoon/nites when I get to be everything in the shop and put out fires with my own knowledge and skills.

too bad this job is so hard on the body:shrug:

have been here for 8 years,
2yrs before that,
6yrs before that,
usually get sick of the shop politics, and quit.

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Soon to be an electrical engineering grad. Headed into a career in hardware engineering/PCB design. I'm torn between taking a cushy industry such as aerospace/automotive that will bring stability to my life; and, a life in consumer electronics in silicon valley where I will be motivated to achieve great personal things. I've done internships in both sectors/lifestyles.

A part of me also wants to return to being a teacher or a military leader. Both are incredibly rewarding and involve some of the strongest bonds between humans.

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Technical Support Manager - I worked my way up from a technician. It's nice to be able to work in a field that is constantly changing. It really keeps you on your toes and doesn't get too dull.

As a perfectionist, it's also fun to work on scripts that will make my job and other's easier. It is just a job to me and I don't really take a great interest in technology outside of work. My personal passion is gardening.

Alehand

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Accountant - the shock and horror of it all.

pyriticsilence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
B.S. in biological anthropology.

Going back to school for nursing, because it's simply more practical than explaining the multitude of uses for an anthropology degree to people who really don't understand anything.

Jstrazz

MBTI Type
IxTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I am a student at Brandeis University, but I work as an accounting assistant at Imagitas, Inc. and a teaching assistant at the Lemberg Children's Center. Two entirely separate and different occupations to every extent of the definitions. I love what I do. I love doing the accounting work. It may get monotonous at times, but I enjoy every minute of it. I love feeling like a professional and working with important information that is vital to the progress and continuation of the company. I love feeling a part of a company, contributing in my own way. On the flip side, I love working with kids. I love children, always have, and I love teaching them and seeing their worlds open up every day. I'm surprised every day not only by the crazy things they say, but also by my own zany and insane, if not downright unconventional, behavior as a teacher. I freak myself out by how crazy and strange I am when it comes to my teaching style. When I leave Brandeis, I will probably work as an accountant/finance person, if not at Imagitas, and I will love it. I don't think I will progress much as a teacher as it would take a lot of Psychology and educational learning, both of which I am not completely confident I would succeed at or enjoy. At any rate, I love my career.