User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Default SJ's and Nonsensical Entertainment

SJ's, is there any part of you that enjoys things like movies, TV shows, and music that you consider nonsensical? I often do and sometimes question it since it doesn't seem like it should be typical of an SJ.

I'm thinking of things like Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland. I loved Pushing Daisies even though it seemed to be a show I would think intuatives would be drawn to. I would also think that, while maybe not nonsensical, Tim Burton's works would hold appeal to intuative types rather than sensing types, but I love Tim Burton's films.

I also enjoy science fiction quite a bit, although some of that could have to do with how I was raised.

One of my favorite musical groups right now is Owl City, and even though I can never understand the guy's lyrics I still appreciate it.

However, one thing I've noticed is that I don't seem to want to dig down and find any deeper meanings in these things. I just consider them nonsensical. I assume a more intuative person would be looking for hidden meanings in these things?

I'm just curious to know whether there are other SJ types that appreciate this kind of entertainment.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    INTJ

Does loving Family Guy count?

That show is so funny. I think because it's because of the references they use- I don't think anyone would be able to make sense of each reference in each episode.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

My ESTJ mom LOVES to talk nonsense with us. She also laughs and laughs at Monty Python, and has expressed a lifelong desire to drive in a demolition derby. She can be very random.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

I'm serious most of the time. However, my humor, when it isn't sarcastic, is very...."nonsensical". I also like Monty Python's style of humor.

I agree that it doesn't seem like something a typical SJ would be drawn to, but then again, the "typical SJ" is just that --- a stereotype. We're all individuals, aren't we?

And now for something completely different.......

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

I love me some Monty Python!
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by wrldisquiethere View Post
    SJ's, is there any part of you that enjoys things like movies, TV shows, and music that you consider nonsensical?

However, one thing I've noticed is that I don't seem to want to dig down and find any deeper meanings in these things. I just consider them nonsensical. I assume a more intuative person would be looking for hidden meanings in these things?

I'm just curious to know whether there are other SJ types that appreciate this kind of entertainment.
    Oh yeah, sometimes I have a strong need for fluffy, superficial entertainment. It shouldn't be too stupid but it shouldn't be something that you can read hidden meaning into.

Although not an N, I do have an uncontrollable tendency to look for the hidden meaning behind things. If there might be any meaning there, I'll look for it. For example, I like Tim Burton too, but I don't take it as nonsensical, I automatically go through the symbols and possibilities in my mind as I watch. It would be the same for something evocative like Alice in Wonderland. If anyone knows the movie Coraline, I LOVED that. The fantasy and everything.

But back to the original question: so when I want nonsensical entertainment, it has to be really, really nonsensical, like America's Next Top Model or something lol. (Maybe to balance out my ISTJ seriousness and serious interests?)

So I agree with FallaciaSonata that each person's an individual, and MBTI definitely has its limits. Apart from ISTJ, I've only ever tested as an INFP, if you can believe that. Maybe that's why I have that INFP looking for hidden meanings thing, to use MBTI-speak.

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    Although not an N, I do have an uncontrollable tendency to look for the hidden meaning behind things. If there might be any meaning there, I'll look for it. For example, I like Tim Burton too, but I don't take it as nonsensical, I automatically go through the symbols and possibilities in my mind as I watch. It would be the same for something evocative like Alice in Wonderland. If anyone knows the movie Coraline, I LOVED that. The fantasy and everything.
    Yes, I agree with you. I knew I wasn't expressing myself clearly in my OP, but I do not consider things like Tim Burton to be "nonsensical," but I do consider them to be entertainment that would appeal more to iNtuative types, particuarly xNFxs. I don't just enjoy these things, I am somehow very drawn to them and fascinated by them. And while I know there are hidden meanings there, I don't necessarily spend much time contemplating them. It's almost as if I enjoy being mystified by them for some reason. If someone were to explain to me the hidden meanings behind these things, I would enjoy and appreciate hearing it...but I'm not inclined to figure it out on my own or spend a whole lot of time pondering it.

By the way, my ISTJ friend and I went and saw Coraline in the theater. We both loved it, and it's now on my DVD shelf.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by wrldisquiethere View Post
    Yes, I agree with you. I knew I wasn't expressing myself clearly in my OP, but I do not consider things like Tim Burton to be "nonsensical," but I do consider them to be entertainment that would appeal more to iNtuative types, particuarly xNFxs. I don't just enjoy these things, I am somehow very drawn to them and fascinated by them. And while I know there are hidden meanings there, I don't necessarily spend much time contemplating them. It's almost as if I enjoy being mystified by them for some reason. If someone were to explain to me the hidden meanings behind these things, I would enjoy and appreciate hearing it...but I'm not inclined to figure it out on my own or spend a whole lot of time pondering it.

By the way, my ISTJ friend and I went and saw Coraline in the theater. We both loved it, and it's now on my DVD shelf.
    Oh did you? It's a great film. I liked the song/dance act of the two fat women

For me personally, I used to look for the hidden meanings a lot more when I was younger, but that was because I wasn't only taking films and books and such as entertainment. I had/have a (INFP-like) concern to determine what my personal value system is and what I think is meaningful, so if there was anything that smelt of meaning I would get really into it and try to figure it out to see if that meaning could be useful to me. (I don't know if that's an NF thing to do.) I've pretty much come to my own answers to those questions now so I don't spend so much time any more trying to understand others' self-expressions of that kind of thing, but it's still something that gets triggered when I watch a film, look at a painting, etc. I really enjoy talking about it afterwards and asking questions. My husband often says, oh no, now you have to process it and TALK about it... (lol)

MBTI
    I

I don't like language with hidden meaning but I do like science-fiction when it comes to books - books like "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis. I even like some sci-fi movies too... movies like "Signs" for example (not the classic Sci-fi movies "Star Wars" - for some reason I can't stand it).

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

It's strange, I enjoy this "absurd" humor, too, but I have to be in the right mood for it. Otherwise, it'll be annoying instead. When I have decided that I want to relax, this is maybe my favorite kind of humor.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.