• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and Nonsensical Entertainment

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
SJ's, is there any part of you that enjoys things like movies, TV shows, and music that you consider nonsensical? I often do and sometimes question it since it doesn't seem like it should be typical of an SJ.

I'm thinking of things like Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland. I loved Pushing Daisies even though it seemed to be a show I would think intuatives would be drawn to. I would also think that, while maybe not nonsensical, Tim Burton's works would hold appeal to intuative types rather than sensing types, but I love Tim Burton's films.

I also enjoy science fiction quite a bit, although some of that could have to do with how I was raised.

One of my favorite musical groups right now is Owl City, and even though I can never understand the guy's lyrics I still appreciate it.

However, one thing I've noticed is that I don't seem to want to dig down and find any deeper meanings in these things. I just consider them nonsensical. I assume a more intuative person would be looking for hidden meanings in these things?

I'm just curious to know whether there are other SJ types that appreciate this kind of entertainment.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Does loving Family Guy count?

That show is so funny. I think because it's because of the references they use- I don't think anyone would be able to make sense of each reference in each episode.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ESTJ mom LOVES to talk nonsense with us. She also laughs and laughs at Monty Python, and has expressed a lifelong desire to drive in a demolition derby. She can be very random.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm serious most of the time. However, my humor, when it isn't sarcastic, is very...."nonsensical". I also like Monty Python's style of humor.

I agree that it doesn't seem like something a typical SJ would be drawn to, but then again, the "typical SJ" is just that --- a stereotype. We're all individuals, aren't we? :D

And now for something completely different.......

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
SJ's, is there any part of you that enjoys things like movies, TV shows, and music that you consider nonsensical?

However, one thing I've noticed is that I don't seem to want to dig down and find any deeper meanings in these things. I just consider them nonsensical. I assume a more intuative person would be looking for hidden meanings in these things?

I'm just curious to know whether there are other SJ types that appreciate this kind of entertainment.

Oh yeah, sometimes I have a strong need for fluffy, superficial entertainment. It shouldn't be too stupid but it shouldn't be something that you can read hidden meaning into.

Although not an N, I do have an uncontrollable tendency to look for the hidden meaning behind things. If there might be any meaning there, I'll look for it. For example, I like Tim Burton too, but I don't take it as nonsensical, I automatically go through the symbols and possibilities in my mind as I watch. It would be the same for something evocative like Alice in Wonderland. If anyone knows the movie Coraline, I LOVED that. The fantasy and everything.

But back to the original question: so when I want nonsensical entertainment, it has to be really, really nonsensical, like America's Next Top Model or something lol. (Maybe to balance out my ISTJ seriousness and serious interests?)

So I agree with FallaciaSonata that each person's an individual, and MBTI definitely has its limits. Apart from ISTJ, I've only ever tested as an INFP, if you can believe that. Maybe that's why I have that INFP looking for hidden meanings thing, to use MBTI-speak.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Although not an N, I do have an uncontrollable tendency to look for the hidden meaning behind things. If there might be any meaning there, I'll look for it. For example, I like Tim Burton too, but I don't take it as nonsensical, I automatically go through the symbols and possibilities in my mind as I watch. It would be the same for something evocative like Alice in Wonderland. If anyone knows the movie Coraline, I LOVED that. The fantasy and everything.
Yes, I agree with you. I knew I wasn't expressing myself clearly in my OP, but I do not consider things like Tim Burton to be "nonsensical," but I do consider them to be entertainment that would appeal more to iNtuative types, particuarly xNFxs. I don't just enjoy these things, I am somehow very drawn to them and fascinated by them. And while I know there are hidden meanings there, I don't necessarily spend much time contemplating them. It's almost as if I enjoy being mystified by them for some reason. If someone were to explain to me the hidden meanings behind these things, I would enjoy and appreciate hearing it...but I'm not inclined to figure it out on my own or spend a whole lot of time pondering it.

By the way, my ISTJ friend and I went and saw Coraline in the theater. We both loved it, and it's now on my DVD shelf. ;)

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, I agree with you. I knew I wasn't expressing myself clearly in my OP, but I do not consider things like Tim Burton to be "nonsensical," but I do consider them to be entertainment that would appeal more to iNtuative types, particuarly xNFxs. I don't just enjoy these things, I am somehow very drawn to them and fascinated by them. And while I know there are hidden meanings there, I don't necessarily spend much time contemplating them. It's almost as if I enjoy being mystified by them for some reason. If someone were to explain to me the hidden meanings behind these things, I would enjoy and appreciate hearing it...but I'm not inclined to figure it out on my own or spend a whole lot of time pondering it.

By the way, my ISTJ friend and I went and saw Coraline in the theater. We both loved it, and it's now on my DVD shelf. ;)

Oh did you? It's a great film. I liked the song/dance act of the two fat women :D

For me personally, I used to look for the hidden meanings a lot more when I was younger, but that was because I wasn't only taking films and books and such as entertainment. I had/have a (INFP-like) concern to determine what my personal value system is and what I think is meaningful, so if there was anything that smelt of meaning I would get really into it and try to figure it out to see if that meaning could be useful to me. (I don't know if that's an NF thing to do.) I've pretty much come to my own answers to those questions now so I don't spend so much time any more trying to understand others' self-expressions of that kind of thing, but it's still something that gets triggered when I watch a film, look at a painting, etc. I really enjoy talking about it afterwards and asking questions. My husband often says, oh no, now you have to process it and TALK about it... (lol)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I don't like language with hidden meaning but I do like science-fiction when it comes to books - books like "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis. I even like some sci-fi movies too... movies like "Signs" for example (not the classic Sci-fi movies "Star Wars" - for some reason I can't stand it).

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's strange, I enjoy this "absurd" humor, too, but I have to be in the right mood for it. Otherwise, it'll be annoying instead. When I have decided that I want to relax, this is maybe my favorite kind of humor.

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
Just to confirm, is the OP referring to entertainment set within wild, fictional worlds when mentioning "nonsensical"?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I even like some sci-fi movies too... movies like "Signs" for example (not the classic Sci-fi movies "Star Wars" - for some reason I can't stand it).

I don't like Star Wars either. It only has to be on for 5 minutes and I can't take it already. I don't know why that is.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
My ISTJ boyfriend absolutely loves this 'absurd' humor. Actually, he loves humor in general, especially British style (Monty Python's, Black Books, IT Crowd...), but also some American sitcoms like Friends or HIMYM. He especially enjoys wordplay and has a fascinating memory when it comes to quotes. It might be an influence of his ENTP and INTP best friends (plus the fact I suspect him of being an ENFP as a child), but he seems to have a very high Ne overall. (And by the way, he's a HUGE Star Wars geek.;))

Actually, two of my English teachers in past were ESTJs and they were strangely 'contradictional' because they were at once very rigid and very playful, with an extremely random sense of humor. I don't think such a thing is unusual for an STJ at all (everyone's 'STJness' stems from something else after all...). Don't have too much experience with SFJs though.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I don't like Star Wars either. It only has to be on for 5 minutes and I can't take it already. I don't know why that is.

Exactly. During the Star Wars craze in 2005, I was like...:dry:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Nonsensical entertainment .. I'll give anything a try once. Now, if i watch it a second time is negotiable.

Sil

This is a test.
SJ's, is there any part of you that enjoys things like movies, TV shows, and music that you consider nonsensical? I often do and sometimes question it since it doesn't seem like it should be typical of an SJ.

I'm thinking of things like Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland. I loved Pushing Daisies even though it seemed to be a show I would think intuatives would be drawn to. I would also think that, while maybe not nonsensical, Tim Burton's works would hold appeal to intuative types rather than sensing types, but I love Tim Burton's films.

I also enjoy science fiction quite a bit, although some of that could have to do with how I was raised.

One of my favorite musical groups right now is Owl City, and even though I can never understand the guy's lyrics I still appreciate it.

If by nonsensical we're talking about films like Un Chien Andalou (1929) and Il Conformista (1970), fucking hate it. I despise anything that attempts to mask bullshit in faux profundity. Also hate Jackson Pollack art and any sort of Dadaism. Throw Picasso and Warhol in there while we're at it.

The fact that I aesthetically hate this crap doesn't mean I don't see it's place in art/film history. Things can have historic place while still being absolute trash.

However, I don't mind things that are fantastical. Magic realism is one of my favorite genres. I also love science fiction/fantasy.

My favorite musical artists often sing nonsensical lyrics (better they make no sense than make sense and be absolute tripe).

I don't like Alice in Wonderland but I quite enjoy a film like Tremors (1990). So it really depends.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I love random nonsense humor!

Example:

(Volume and seizure warning!)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Alice in Wonderland was my absolute favorite movie when I was a toddler. I am also into sarcasm and memes. That is all you need to know.