User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SJ's and Nonsensical Entertainment

Senior Member Array Just another ISTJ's Avatar

Just to confirm, is the OP referring to entertainment set within wild, fictional worlds when mentioning "nonsensical"?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I even like some sci-fi movies too... movies like "Signs" for example (not the classic Sci-fi movies "Star Wars" - for some reason I can't stand it).
    I don't like Star Wars either. It only has to be on for 5 minutes and I can't take it already. I don't know why that is.

Senior Member Array Space_Oddity's Avatar

My ISTJ boyfriend absolutely loves this 'absurd' humor. Actually, he loves humor in general, especially British style (Monty Python's, Black Books, IT Crowd...), but also some American sitcoms like Friends or HIMYM. He especially enjoys wordplay and has a fascinating memory when it comes to quotes. It might be an influence of his ENTP and INTP best friends (plus the fact I suspect him of being an ENFP as a child), but he seems to have a very high Ne overall. (And by the way, he's a HUGE Star Wars geek.)

Actually, two of my English teachers in past were ESTJs and they were strangely 'contradictional' because they were at once very rigid and very playful, with an extremely random sense of humor. I don't think such a thing is unusual for an STJ at all (everyone's 'STJness' stems from something else after all...). Don't have too much experience with SFJs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    I don't like Star Wars either. It only has to be on for 5 minutes and I can't take it already. I don't know why that is.
    Exactly. During the Star Wars craze in 2005, I was like...

Nonsensical entertainment .. I'll give anything a try once. Now, if i watch it a second time is negotiable.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by wrldisquiethere View Post
    SJ's, is there any part of you that enjoys things like movies, TV shows, and music that you consider nonsensical? I often do and sometimes question it since it doesn't seem like it should be typical of an SJ.

I'm thinking of things like Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland. I loved Pushing Daisies even though it seemed to be a show I would think intuatives would be drawn to. I would also think that, while maybe not nonsensical, Tim Burton's works would hold appeal to intuative types rather than sensing types, but I love Tim Burton's films.

I also enjoy science fiction quite a bit, although some of that could have to do with how I was raised.

One of my favorite musical groups right now is Owl City, and even though I can never understand the guy's lyrics I still appreciate it.

However, one thing I've noticed is that I don't seem to want to dig down and find any deeper meanings in these things. I just consider them nonsensical. I assume a more intuative person would be looking for hidden meanings in these things?

I'm just curious to know whether there are other SJ types that appreciate this kind of entertainment.
    If by nonsensical we're talking about films like Un Chien Andalou (1929) and Il Conformista (1970), fucking hate it. I despise anything that attempts to mask bullshit in faux profundity. Also hate Jackson Pollack art and any sort of Dadaism. Throw Picasso and Warhol in there while we're at it.

The fact that I aesthetically hate this crap doesn't mean I don't see it's place in art/film history. Things can have historic place while still being absolute trash.

However, I don't mind things that are fantastical. Magic realism is one of my favorite genres. I also love science fiction/fantasy.

My favorite musical artists often sing nonsensical lyrics (better they make no sense than make sense and be absolute tripe).

I don't like Alice in Wonderland but I quite enjoy a film like Tremors (1990). So it really depends.

I love random nonsense humor!

(Volume and seizure warning!)

Likes Yamato Nadeshiko liked this post

T҉̶r͟a̵gi̵̵c̸ H̡e҉͡r͟o Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    6w7 so/sx

Alice in Wonderland was my absolute favorite movie when I was a toddler. I am also into sarcasm and memes. That is all you need to know.
    mirror, mirror, what's behind you?
    save me from the things i see
    i can keep it from the world
    why won't you let me hide from me?
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 4w3 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious