• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Being Mistaken for Another Type

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Have you ever been mistaken for another type? Which types and what reasons did they give?

I'll start...
My type: ISTJ
Mistaken for:

ISFJ - I get this a lot, usually from people who don't know me that well. They say I'm really "nice" and "patient" and such. Which, I guess maybe I am, but ISTJs can be that way too! ;) I've even been told that I have the ability to be "bubbly" :ohmy: but I don't believe that. Anyways, the people who I'm actually close with know about my "T". My social awkwardness, sarcasm, dislike of talking about my ~feelings, un-touch feely personality, and logical thinking style, can only go undetected for so long. :laugh:

xNxx - My closest friend (an INFJ) always says that I'm really intuitive. I keep having to correct him by telling him that I'm not "intuitive", I'm observant! I make my judgments based on what I see and hear, what's in front of me -- not any sort of "psychic feeling" like he does. :doh:

xNFJ - An English professor I had last year, who I would usually walk with for a bit and talk to after class, said that I was a "constant thinker" that had interesting insights based on the literature I read and had a talent for drawing connections between those literary insights and real life. He also thought I was a great writer and wanted me to ditch my Psych major for English :laugh:. I think he didn't understand that ISTJs can be all these things too! ISTJs can have a love for literature and creative writing and be insightful too. :yes:

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I get mistaken for being GAY all the time...

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFP because I am an easy going artist and i am very sensual

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Ah yes, a lot of people mistakenly assume that Artists = Artisan (SP). My sister is an ISFP and she doesn't draw or paint at all. :laugh:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
ENTP - By psychologist and careers counsellor. Both changed their mind after chatting for a while. I tend to talk a lot about science because I've grown up with science and maths.

INTP - by association with my father. Though the difference is obvious.

INFP - once or twice because I've grown up with introverts so learnt to not let my extroversion go as often.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
xNTP - My blunt, devil's advocate attitude towards those I dislike.
ESTP - My art teacher caims this. I'm a rebellious tomboy artist, doesn't make me an SP!
INTJ - Because, apparently, I'm a geek. INTJs aren't all geeks! ^^
INFP - My romantic notions, apparently.
ENFP - I'm just quirky like that.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I get mistaken for being GAY all the time...

You pique their interest.

addf9-lol.jpg

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJ several times, especially when talking one on one with people about serious issues.
ENFJ once or twice, mostly when I try and repair harmony in a group coz it's bugging me.
INFP/ENFP all the time (nobody knows, not even myself, what the correct one is)
ENTJ, recent addition and one of my favs. I was in a pissy mood, so I don't blame them for typing me that way :D

Oh and one ESFP, irl by a psychologist who was still learning MBTI at the time and had nothing but sensors around him...

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP - My ENFP sister and INTJ brother both think I'm more N than S. Although my sister thinks I'm more of an IXTP.

ESTP - there are a few people that get to see a more Extroverted me that have a hard time believing I'm an introvert. But that's probably because I felt comfortable around them from the get go.

And in general, people that don't know me well but are familiar with MBTI seem skeptical I'm an ISTP. Mostly just because I'm female. And okay... I'm not all that into extreme sports or athletics. Or even regular sports, for that matter.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP- I'm sure half the forum still thinks I'm one. :D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP - Because I'm sometimes really laid back around my friends.
INFJ - Because I'm nice sometimes and because I'm not always so pessimistic.
ISTJ - I was testing acting out different personalities for a social experiment.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am most often called an INFP.

I have a pretty well-developed F, and I have an NF-y feel to my social interactions.

I also focus on softer sciences and relational issues, rather than harder science and more rigorous conventionally T-style subjects.

I play "mom" here to some, another F-style thing.

Most of these people also met me first on INTPc, where I joined a few years ago, and my behavior as expressed on the forum then differs in some ways than what I express now. I was neurotic, emotionally unstable in some ways, hypersensitive, etc, and I took a far more F role in the forum dynamics at the time. When I dealt with my personality issues and got out of my restrictive religious environment so I could be myself, my presented personality actually began to shift. But that original memory of me is still pretty firmly anchored in some minds.

i recently went through an awakening experience that demanded a lot of personal introspection and Fi-values-style following; I guess what many people don't see is how painful and difficult it was because I had no real sense of Fi going into things and had to earn and learn every ounce of it I expressed; it was far easier to decide what I should "rationally be" rather than sensing my own inner patterns.

I used to care what people thought about it; now I don't as much since I know who and what I am, even if it does not fall neatly into some MBTI box. Once identity moves inside rather than being externally located, that sort of stuff stops mattering so much.

Note: This is purely a forum thing, this perception of me as INFP. Anyone I've known in real-life for some time doesn't even consider it... especially the F people.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
intp.

I know I don't have a strong 'F' but I am in no way an INTP. Arguing about quantum physics for 2 hours on an internet forum doesn't appeal to me. Although, I'm sure that doesn't have to be an intp thing.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
ISFJ, although I don't know why. :rolli:

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Nobody ever calls me anything else, because I'm the only one I know that is familiar with MBTI. I suspect that some might mistake me as an F or an E

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People on the IRC channel at INTP Central gave me INTJ and INFJ a number of times (ick--so many acronyms). I think that what led them to say this is that I have an aura of decisiveness and certainty online that wouldn't necessarily be replicated so well in real life. In real life, I have to deal with the practical side of things, and I flounder like nobody's business when it comes to that. I've also gotten ENFJ, which, as the most introverted person I know (how could it be otherwise?), really astonishes me. More recently and most stunning of all, ISFP was suggested for me. How someone with only the faintest use of extroverted sensing could belong to that type is a question I'll leave to tomorrow's great thinkers.