• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Being Mistaken for Another Type

Fecal McAngry

Have you ever been mistaken for another type? Which types and what reasons did they give?

I'll start...
My type: ISTJ
Mistaken for:

ISFJ - I get this a lot, usually from people who don't know me that well. They say I'm really "nice" and "patient" and such. Which, I guess maybe I am, but ISTJs can be that way too! ;) I've even been told that I have the ability to be "bubbly" :ohmy: but I don't believe that. Anyways, the people who I'm actually close with know about my "T". My social awkwardness, sarcasm, dislike of talking about my ~feelings, un-touch feely personality, and logical thinking style, can only go undetected for so long. :laugh:

xNxx - My closest friend (an INFJ) always says that I'm really intuitive. I keep having to correct him by telling him that I'm not "intuitive", I'm observant! I make my judgments based on what I see and hear, what's in front of me -- not any sort of "psychic feeling" like he does. :doh:

xNFJ - An English professor I had last year, who I would usually walk with for a bit and talk to after class, said that I was a "constant thinker" that had interesting insights based on the literature I read and had a talent for drawing connections between those literary insights and real life. He also thought I was a great writer and wanted me to ditch my Psych major for English :laugh:. I think he didn't understand that ISTJs can be all these things too! ISTJs can have a love for literature and creative writing and be insightful too. :yes:
Interesting. I interact face-to-face with few people who know type well, and I am speculating, but it does seem that I am sometimes perceived as some sort of T (based on external coldness), and as some sort of E when, like many others, I'm viewed in a particularly extroverted mood or setting.

I get along well with most ISTJs, oddly enough...