• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are ISFJs the better INFJs ?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've been lurking around the NF forums for quite some time now and I have been searching there for someone to help me with my personal problems, like for example psychologists help. I tho have a misfit way of speaking about my things, which didnt get noticed with any of the psychics over there (except for one or two enfps, who really have a knack for such things).

Instead I met arrogance, abusive behaviour, the occasional bragging about them being like god, when it comes to their abilities or sheer ignorance.

So I came to think: An ISFJ, who types her-/himself that way from the start and who doesnt even assume for the slightest moment that he is special in any way, because she or he for example never achieved anything special so far (which would be prolly the case with 90% of the Ns), isnt she or he much more down-to-earth and more realistic + able to look at the world from an (as much as that is possible) objective point of view and to give people real world advice and help, cause he isnt blinded by his own ego ?

I dont want to discredit all of the INFJs over there, but I am still refering to around 90%.

Any thoughts ?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Someone who types themselves as ISFJ might very well be more humble. It takes a lot of humility to type yourself as S, because S appears to be so common and dull in the MBTI descriptions.

INFJs can be pretty arrogant, I admit.

ISFJs do have the same level of concern, and are more likely to pick up on the meaning of details.

I'd say INFJs are probably more in tune with group behavior, while ISFJs might be more in tune with individual behavior (Big picture vs. Detailed picture). So the common image of INFJs as being good psychologists might be flawed... we might be better at group psychology or sociology than the one-on-one kind.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Fair answer + a good new thought I havent had so far.

Group dynamics... That was and is always the least intresting thing to me there is. I even do get angry at people, who see an individual person only as a result of a larger group.

Maybe you got the solution to my position and problem in dealing with some of the guys here.

Nyx

I've been lurking around the NF forums for quite some time now and I have been searching there for someone to help me with my personal problems, like for example psychologists help. I tho have a misfit way of speaking about my things, which didnt get noticed with any of the psychics over there (except for one or two enfps, who really have a knack for such things).

Instead I met arrogance, abusive behaviour, the occasional bragging about them being like god, when it comes to their abilities or sheer ignorance.

So I came to think: An ISFJ, who types her-/himself that way from the start and who doesnt even assume for the slightest moment that he is special in any way, because she or he for example never achieved anything special so far (which would be prolly the case with 90% of the Ns), isnt she or he much more down-to-earth and more realistic + able to look at the world from an (as much as that is possible) objective point of view and to give people real world advice and help, cause he isnt blinded by his own ego ?

I dont want to discredit all of the INFJs over there, but I am still refering to around 90%.

Any thoughts ?

I can agree that some INFJs may seem arrogant in believing their beliefs or inclinations are infallible. I don't really know any, besides myself. I think this type is kind of a mixed bag for some.

Did you have a bad experience with an INFJ or is this based off of people on the forum?

I'll just say that I know I don't have a high ego and sometimes I wish I had less Ni and could be able to do more practical things. I am pretty much on the border between I and E( have a very slight preference for I) and exhibit many characteristics of extroversion, but I think the arrogance might come from those who are very introverted INFJs because they never get out of their head and apply their beliefs to the world to actually see if they have any worth or realistic applications/results.

Also, your comment on group dynamics: this is another thing very introverted INFJs fall prey to...they can tend to forget to see humans and only this sense of a "group" or generalizing. They then take their theories/beliefs too far without actually testing it in the real world. INXXs tend to have this problem. They undervalue or don't value experience at all. A very ,very interesting thing to consider...thank you for your questions, they have helped me to see the problems of extreme introversion in a new light. :)

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I can agree that some INFJs may seem arrogant in believing their beliefs or inclinations are infallible. I don't really know any, besides myself. I think this type is kind of a mixed bag for some.

Did you have a bad experience with an INFJ or is this based off of people on the forum?

I'll just say that I know I don't have a high ego and sometimes I wish I had less Ni and could be able to do more practical things. I am pretty much on the border between I and E( have a very slight preference for I) and exhibit many characteristics of extroversion, but I think the arrogance might come from those who are very introverted INFJs because they never get out of their head and apply their beliefs to the world to actually see if they have any worth.

Good point. Or that they are too young to have any experince in the world.

Nyx

Good point. Or that they are too young to have any experince in the world.

Yeah, that too. I used to be a bit endanger of claiming truth before experience, but I have always tried to actively apply my beliefs in the world, and gauge a certain amount of validity of my beliefs from the experience/results of their application. I think this is something INXXs tend to forget to do very often and it leads them to have mental disturbances among other things.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes ISFJ's are better bother them. As an INFJ I have no shortage of selfish people looking to use me to solve their problems for them. No love loss. we live for equality and parity, not to fix your problems.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
They undervalue or don't value experience at all.

This is very true of me. I often don't value experience at all, and find it frustrating that other people place so much value on it.

That's not to say I have no experience, though. Just that I value ideas more.

Keps Mnemnosyne

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Mm
I am quite happy about not being your counselor, even if we had sensed a problem, doesn't mean INFJs would suddenly flock to help you. I do hope you are okay, but you are not someone I know directly and therefore am less willing to take on the burden of trying to provide good advice and support and then if I do something wrong, you or whoever I am trying to help get pissed off at me.

However you are right that INFJs have a higher chance of being egotistical on this site as we are talking about MBTI which has an overly favorable profile of INFJS. Secondly, we are individuals not a profile, and please treat everyone as such. I no longer talk of MBTI offline because of one such occurrence in which I had a friend who after reading a profile of INFJ changed her opinion of me. I am a good person, but in the few minutes she took to read the profile apparently I became angelic, which annoys me as instead of seeing me as I am she now see me as my type.......... For me the person who helped me the most in my life was an ISTJ, not even an F, so just trying finding a friend you can trust is all I can say.

Nonetheless, SJs are awesome and deserve better compliments and fewer insults from this site. (Still I will judge individuals as individuals though)

Sorry entropie, if this was unhelpful, but those who have answered are trying to help, even if it is unhelpful.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Thanks for your input. (Except for the input from the nude guy, who someone needs to tell that way he never get chicks :D).

Basically I am the most afraid of loosing my mind. And a sentence like for example: "I cant do more practical things, cause of my Ni" would to me be the 1st step on the road of loosing my mind, cause fact is everyone can do practical stuff and if one cant it cant be tracked down that easily like to say: "I cant do it cause I dream too much around". Most of the times not being able to do practical stuff comes from no practice or because one hasnt seen the need for certain things yet and therefore isnt in the mindset to do it.

Well that's a bad example but my general idea is: I dont think all these generalizations like you are an INFJ or you use your Ni too much will bring us anywhere. I cant say why I feel that way, it's a feeling that maybe comes from a thing one could call experience. And the general idea behind it was: when I for example ask a personal query about something in which I dont referance mbti at all, I am looking for someone to give me a personal answer aswell. But instead people use mbti terms to explain my issue and I just cant work with that. And after that I get angry and start to get them out of their hideout in mbti and of course this doesnt work. So communication leads to frustration.

I dont know what you all want to accomplish in life and for the sake of that I do of course appreciate different approaches to it, but for the sake of my mental health, I need to stay away from certain topics by certain people on this board or otherwise I become like them.

S

Sniffles

Basically I am the most afraid of loosing my mind. And a sentence like for example: "I cant do more practical things, cause of my Ni" would to me be the 1st step on the road of loosing my mind, cause fact is everyone can do practical stuff and if one cant it cant be tracked down that easily like to say: "I cant do it cause I dream too much around". Most of the times not being able to do practical stuff comes from no practice or because one hasnt seen the need for certain things yet and therefore isnt in the mindset to do it.
This is true to a certain extent. When working in machine shops, I've had to do plenty of "practical things" which did go against my general nature, nevertheless I managed quite fine. In fact I was of the more skillful workers on my shift.

Although the main question here is a flawed one.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Entropie .. I am just going to come out and say it OK ..

I think you are fucking awesome and sexy as hell .. Please don't lose your marbles, i won't be able to laugh at your choice of songs that you post or your quirky comments.

So back to the original question .. Are ISFJ's the better INFJ's .. YES, lol.

There seems to be a terrible bias against Sensors on this site that really pisses me off .. N's stick with N's, S's stick with S's .. What bullshit, i can communicate with N's .. There are just different levels of it.
Ohhh, you can do abstract, well your clever. We smell the roses and there is nothing wrong with that.

Some people just enjoy over analyzing and finding problems where none or little exist. It gives them something to do. Blahhhhhh

:D Lol .. That was fun.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Entropie .. I am just going to come out and say it OK ..

I think you are fucking awesome and sexy as hell .. Please don't lose your marbles, i won't be able to laugh at your choice of songs that you post or your quirky comments.So back to the original question .. Are ISFJ's the better INFJ's .. YES, lol.

There seems to be a terrible bias against Sensors on this site that really pisses me off .. N's stick with N's, S's stick with S's .. What bullshit, i can communicate with N's .. There are just different levels of it.
Ohhh, you can do abstract, well your clever. We smell the roses and there is nothing wrong with that.Some people just enjoy over analyzing and finding problems where none or little exist. It gives them something to do. Blahhhhhh

:D Lol .. That was fun.

Amen, sister :coffee:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is always a bit sad to see the negative repercussions of MBTI. It's application and assumptions can leave a lot of people feeling invalidated in perpetual cycles of disappointment and blame that continue to ricochet.

There have been times I have given my best shot at helping someone with complex psychological issues, but it has never helped. In some cases I think it made it worse because they would rely on someone who could listen and then try to say a few things, but not someone who had enough expertise to actually address it. I feel completely unqualified to help in those areas outside of suggesting the person find someone with the necessary training and boundaries established. It is a bit of a sore spot for me because I have cared about a number of people, and in the end found myself useless.

I do think ISFJ's should have more appreciation and love on the forums.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for your input. (Except for the input from the nude guy, who someone needs to tell that way he never get chicks :D).

Well that's a bad example but my general idea is: I dont think all these generalizations like you are an INFJ or you use your Ni too much will bring us anywhere. I cant say why I feel that way, it's a feeling that maybe comes from a thing one could call experience. And the general idea behind it was: when I for example ask a personal query about something in which I dont referance mbti at all, I am looking for someone to give me a personal answer aswell. But instead people use mbti terms to explain my issue and I just cant work with that. And after that I get angry and start to get them out of their hideout in mbti and of course this doesnt work. So communication leads to frustration.

I dont know what you all want to accomplish in life and for the sake of that I do of course appreciate different approaches to it, but for the sake of my mental health, I need to stay away from certain topics by certain people on this board or otherwise I become like them.

I understand 100%. It's very hard for me to not completely abandon the MBTI theory. It's quite flawed and becomes more flawed to me as time goes on.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Saslou,
Sensors are very cool people!
I am so happy to experience the physical world so intensely via my five senses. The colors are so vivid, the tastes are so delicious, the smells are so aromatic, the music is so joyful! There is no need for anyone to be biased against sensors!
I'd rather just share the way that I experience the world, as well as the wanderings of my vivid imagination with everyone. We are all different. And that is good! Not everyone is analytical. Apparently, that is something that we have in common. I am far better at description than at analysis!
What a boring world this would be if everyone was alike!!!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
GROUPHUGTIME

We should trap entropie in a hug sandwich between the ISFJs and INFJs :hug:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Someone said in this thread.. That INFJ's are more in tune with Group dynamics..

I am curious about this...
Since I find that INFJ's seem to have an expectation that the world should learn to understand them and not the other way around..
Their over all sense of being wounded by life .. separates them from the group as well as the individual.. they can't connect with either, unless a very strict code of conduct is followed by others.. especially if you are "chosen"

It does come across as very arrogant.. and for all their flexibility.. they close off and become rigid when they need people most..

It's sad, really

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
There have been times I have given my best shot at helping someone with complex psychological issues, but it has never helped. In some cases I think it made it worse because they would rely on someone who could listen and then try to say a few things, but not someone who had enough expertise to actually address it. I feel completely unqualified to help in those areas outside of suggesting the person find someone with the necessary training and boundaries established. It is a bit of a sore spot for me because I have cared about a number of people, and in the end found myself useless.

I do think ISFJ's should have more appreciation and love on the forums.

There is nothing wrong with giving it your best shot .. As a suppporter, i also want to help people fix their problems. At the end of the day though, i can only give advice, they have to do the hard work and actually implement it, should they choose. You are not useless because you didn't get the result you wanted. You gave it your best .. Many people would walk away .. But still at the end of the day, these people have to take accountibility for their own actions/thoughts/feelings, no matter how hard you tried.

Saslou,
Sensors are very cool people!
I am so happy to experience the physical world so intensely via my five senses. The colors are so vivid, the tastes are so delicious, the smells are so aromatic, the music is so joyful! There is no need for anyone to be biased against sensors!
I'd rather just share the way that I experience the world, as well as the wanderings of my vivid imagination with everyone. We are all different. And that is good! Not everyone is analytical. Apparently, that is something that we have in common. I am far better at description than at analysis!
What a boring world this would be if everyone was alike!!!

Worded so beautifully .. :wubbie:

GROUPHUGTIME

We should trap entropie in a hug sandwich between the ISFJs and INFJs

*Pushes everyone out the way to get on top .. Obviously we are all going to fall over* :devil: